Windows 7 Calculator

To be honest, updating those small applications like the calculator, notepad or the control panel would not be very high on my priority list for a new Windows operating system.

Microsoft apparently thought otherwise and managed to squeeze in some major changes to programs like the Windows Calculator.

More Galleries: All GalleriesWindows 7 GalleriesWindows 8 Galleries

, , , ,

15 Responses to Windows 7 Calculator

1. Darren Kopp April 11, 2008 at 12:10 am #

The 1 window, that is absolutely necessary to update before ANYTHING else, is the prompt that comes up when you want to install a font.

I don't think it's changed since like 3.1… maybe 95. it's hard to tell.

2. Laurence April 12, 2008 at 2:42 am #

Hmm… I would have thought Microsoft would have got the idea by now.

People arn’t interested in a multitude of new features. They just want ease of use.

I don’t use windows calculator because its so much easier to just push ctrl+space and type it into Launchy.

If you are wanting to anything more complicated then a simple addition or multiplication why would you be using windows calculator? It is easier to use a real one.

3. alex April 17, 2008 at 10:00 pm #

you know…. we look at this an call it so insignificant, but at the same time we’ve complained (i’ve seen other posts) that these features have not been updated in a while. so i think we should just let the microsoft peopledo their thing before we condem them for wasting time

4. OÄŸuz April 19, 2008 at 11:17 pm #

WoW perfect calculator but W7 system?

5. brian.shapiro April 29, 2008 at 12:20 am #

The calculator should be done as a gadget, and gadgets should work more like Apple menu programs did on Macs, where they were mini apps you could float above everything else, and in this case, also dock on the sidebar if you want. Thinking about gadgets this way, you can see there would be use for a clipboard/scrapbook gadget, a character map gadget, and some other things.

6. Ryan Northrup May 10, 2008 at 6:26 pm #

I have to agree with Darren and Alex here; there are a lot of things that haven’t changed at all since the good ol’ days of Windows 3.1. Many of those older programs bundled with Windows from day 1, like Calculator, Notepad / Wordpad, etc. are about due for a new look and feel.

And Brian brought up a good idea: an easily accessible Character Map. There are many things that annoy me about Windows, and going all the way to Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Character Map (at least in XP, I don’t know if it’s changed in Vista) just so I can type “¿Cómo estás?” in my Spanish homework is among the most annoying features of Windows. Sure, I wound up just memorizing the keystrokes, but not everyone has that kind of patience, nor does every Windows user know the basics like making a shortcut on the desktop. At least in Ubuntu Linux (7.10) you can stick commonly used foreign characters right in a panel on the Gnome desktop really simply (I believe this applies to most *NIX’s with Gnome). A gadget of some kind would find a lot of use in an “easier to use” Windows 7

7. brian.shapiro May 10, 2008 at 5:33 pm #

Ryan, well I think Windows really needs the same dialog that you have in Office for 'Insert Symbol' where you can associate any character you want with very easy key combinations like CTRL+',e for "é"

8. Ryan Northrup May 11, 2008 at 6:39 pm #

That could work too. Even though Ctrl + E is already implemented in Office as Center Align, I see your point. There are some websites I've seen for practicing foreign languages that also use the F keys to insert such characters. Perhaps a combination like CTRL + F1 or ALT + F1 or something like that would work too…

9. brian.shapiro May 11, 2008 at 10:58 pm #

Ryan, no the key combination I gave you produces that character in office. not Ctrl+e, but press Ctrl-’ then e.

Ctrl-’,e = é
    Ctrl-”,e = ë
    Ctrl-^,e = ê
    Ctrl-^,E = Ê
    Ctrl-^,o = ô
    Ctrl-~,o = õ
    etc.

Just look at the shortcut combination it shows you in the Insert Symbol dialog. Never figured that out?

This, imo is the best way to handle accented characters.

10. Ryan Northrup May 11, 2008 at 8:01 pm #

Hmmm… I never knew that! Thanks man! And I thought I was a total Office whiz… yeah, you're right. That kind of functionality would be great for the ENTIRE Windows operating system. But it needs to be really obvious to total Windows "n00bs". Perhaps that would make a great section in the Windows 7 tutorial. I'm betting that even veteran Windows users will read the tutorial considering all of the new features planned for Windows 7.

11. bigth1300 May 12, 2008 at 11:22 am #

If they are going to add new features, why not add a graphical calculator? This would give the ability to do calculus and advanced math. This might give a challenge to Texas Instruments.

12. Ryan Northrup May 14, 2008 at 6:51 pm #

That would be great, too, especially in an educational environment. Not every student can afford a fancy graphing calculator; granting them access to one that’s easier to use than Excel will be a huge plus at that school and may help promote higher-level mathematics like calculus.

13. brian.shapiro May 14, 2008 at 5:27 pm #

There was a Windows XP powertoy released called Power Calculator, which is basically that, a graphic calculator.

Power Calculator – With this PowerToy you can graph and evaluate functions as well as perform many different types of conversions.

There's no reason it shouldn't be fine on Vista, you can get a free download on that webpage.

Also, in case anyone's interested there's also software called Microsoft Math, which has graphing calculator functions among other things:

14. dasche November 4, 2008 at 4:05 pm #

hi, can anyone just zip and upload this calculator to somewhere from windows 7?

thanks