Automatic Logon Into Windows 7

If you want to further speed up the Windows 7 boot process you could configure the computer system to automatically logon the user.

This is especially for computer systems that are in use by only one person as it would not even be a privacy or security risk.

All that needs to be done to configure Windows 7 for automatic logon is the following:

Press Windows R. A command box should appear. Type control userpasswords2 and hit the enter key. This should display the User Accounts screen in Windows 7. Select the user account in the main table and uncheck the “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. A click on the Apply button will open the Automatically Log On window. Enter the password and confirm it to add the password to the system so that it does not need to be entered during windows logon.

windows 7 automatic logon

What’s the effect of that change on the system? You know that Windows displays all enabled user profiles on startup. Here you need to select one of the user accounts to log into that account. You may need to enter the password before you can log on to the system.

That’s good for security on multi-user systems and public systems, but not really necessary on single user systems instead. That’s where the above change helps the most.

This method basically removes the need to enter the user account password during logon. This method has another effect if only one account is configured on the system. If it is, the logon screen is bypassed altogether to speed up the loading of the Windows desktop even further.

It again needs to be pointed out that this raises security concerns, considering that anyone can log into the user account since no password is required to log on.

, , ,

36 Responses to Automatic Logon Into Windows 7

1. Vit February 1, 2009 at 7:53 pm #

U can get same result just typing netplwiz in Command Prompt :)

• Sfbay June 10, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

That is Cool. It work “netplwiz” win7 32bit Ultimate!

• registrycleaner November 7, 2010 at 3:40 am #

I am running Windows 7 RC and that check box was present.

2. Mohamed March 11, 2009 at 1:48 pm #

This is not a new feature, it is found in windows xp and vista too.

3. Frank 2B June 17, 2009 at 1:27 pm #

I have installed the Windows7 release candidate recently and found that the check box “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” is missing from the User Accounts window. There is only one useraccount visible (mine).

Is the release candidate different in that a password has become mandatroy or is this situation correctable by changing registry settings?

• Jason August 11, 2009 at 7:46 am #

I am running Windows 7 RC and that check box was present. I don’t know why you don’t have it.

• AresROC August 21, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

Need to set “AutoAdminLogon” to 1 in the registry for the option to show.

4. HTD October 2, 2009 at 11:09 am #

i like it but i have also one for xp users trick at

5. Anonymous February 24, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

command userpasswords2 appears to be missing from the release version of Win 7… I’m running a the Universal version. Any ideas?

• rcubed3r February 26, 2010 at 11:43 am #

From ‘Vit’ above:

U can get same result just typing netplwiz in Command Prompt :)

• Jairon March 23, 2010 at 8:53 pm #

It’s not missing. The right command is “control userpasswords2″ (without quotes).

6. Anonymous March 26, 2010 at 4:49 am #

could anyone help ive just started up my laptop it has windows 7 the prob is it wont let me log on even tho i have the right password and user name it tells me that the user profile service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded please help me

7. Jim April 14, 2010 at 6:12 am #

I have my login prompt me for username and password, is it possible to have it prefill the username and still me for a password?

8. Jim April 14, 2010 at 6:13 am #

I mean, “still prompt me for a password?”

9. Anonymous April 30, 2010 at 11:17 am #

Typing in “control userpasswords2″ no longer works in my copy of Windows 7 Professional.

It claims there is no items found. (I didn’t type in the quotes .;-)

But “netplwiz” does.

• 21c May 22, 2010 at 9:50 am #

that’s because you are typing the command into the search box rather than pressing Windows + R to open a run box.

10. Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 5:30 pm #

Ahh…silly me.

11. Ali June 24, 2010 at 1:32 am #

How do you get to this through the menu? Or do you HAVE to know the command to run? I’ve been frustrated in trying to get to it by going through Control Panel, etc.

12. Samuel Bolduc October 3, 2010 at 10:40 pm #

thanks!

13. Charmpeddler October 24, 2010 at 6:47 pm #

I did this and now i cannot see my administrator account. it autologs into wife’s account and when it has to ask me for admin pwd for somethings i’m not able to do it cause the Admin account is no longer an option.

So as far as i know i’m locked out of my computer… even though i can get into the limited account?

14. David November 11, 2010 at 4:44 am #

Try keeping ‘Shift’ button down when booting – this should pause the autologon and you can logon to your admin account..

• Robert1250a November 12, 2010 at 5:31 pm #

somewhere I saw a registry change that gives me a Admin and a user box at startup. Not sure why I ever did it. Previously it was just the regular win 7 startup (single user) who has admin rights. How to I cancel this step so that win 7 boots up right to main window without having to ckick on a User Icon. Thanks

15. Shea November 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm #