Enable Or Disable The Windows 7 Administrator Account

A word of caution at the beginning. It is generally not advised to tamper around with the built in administrator account of Windows 7. If you do not need it or do not know why you would need it, then don’t.

Here is a quick rundown on how to enable or disable the Windows 7 administrator account.

The easiest way to enable or disable the Windows 7 build in administrator account is from the command line. Open a command prompt with administrator rights. This is done by right-clicking on the command prompt icon in the Windows 7 start menu and selecting Run As Administrator from the available options.

grey Enable Or Disable The Windows 7 Administrator Account

To enable the Windows 7 administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes

To disable the Windows 7 administrator account:

net user administrator /active:no

To change the password of the Windows 7 administrator account:

Net user administrator password

An alternative would be to enable or disable the Windows 7 administrator account using the Local Security Policy option. You can open the Local Security Policy by launching secpol.msc from the run box.

Please note that you have only access to the Local Security Policy on certain editions of the Windows operating system. The configuration tool is only available under Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise.

You find the option under Local Policies-> Security Options. Just change the setting Accounts: Administrator account by double-clicking the entry.

grey Enable Or Disable The Windows 7 Administrator Account

This security setting determines whether a different account name is associated with the security identifier (SID) for the account Administrator. Renaming the well-known Administrator account makes it slightly more difficult for unauthorized persons to guess this privileged user name and password combination.

Again, it is not really necessary to enable the administrator account, as it is possible to use a standard account with elevated rights for the same configuration options that an administrators account would offer. And it is better for security to not run an administrator account by default.

, ,

83 Responses to Enable Or Disable The Windows 7 Administrator Account

1. jim June 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

I hate windows 7

2. Happycats2 July 4, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

All of these comments are great BUT they assume the Local Security Policy option is available in ALL editions of Windows 7 and it isn’t. I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP Netbook. It has been working beautifully until today. Today I am locked out for no valid known reason. I have extremely limited navigation options. My wireless mouse is DEAD! My tablet area does NOT respond to any actions. I CREATED A NEW ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT ONLY TO FIND IT IS ALSO LOCKED OUT AS ARE ALL MY USER GROUPS!!! I can use Tab and the arrow keys to navigate limited programs. BUT when I get to the point where I have to double-click or click on an option, my options END!!! I can NOT sign out of any program I am fortunate enough to activate EXCEPT by bringing up my start menu and tabbing to (and entering)  shut down. VERY FRUSTRATING. My command prompt does not recognize “secpol” only “netplwiz”. By typing “net accounts” I can get a full print out of my Threshold locked out settings but I can’t change anything even though I am the Administrator. (My settings are: Force Users log off how long after it expires?: NEVER; Min/Max password age (days): 0 / 42; Min password length: 0; length of password history maintained: NONE; Lockout threshold: NEVER; Lockout duration (minutes): 30; Lockout Observation Window (minutes): 30.0  Why did Microsoft think this was an acceptable scenario? WHAT CAN I DO??? WHY CAN’T I FIND THE LOCKED OUT CHECKBOX AND FIX THIS????  ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!! THANK YOU!!!

3. Anonymous August 21, 2011 at 8:40 pm #

I seldom use windows 7 OS. I prefer XP.

4. Lemon Yanyan August 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

When you forgot the admin password of win7, go for Windows Login Recovery software. It will enable you login your win7 instantly by resetting Windows 7 password.

5. Stinner Lewis November 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm #

I find using the admin account is the ONLY way to use a Windows 7 PC. Otherwise you risk not having access to do things when you need to them. What a waste of time logging in as a non-admin.

6. Dianiysom November 4, 2011 at 2:07 am #

Great post, learn a lot from them, and i am also told that if you forgot windows 7 password, you can use the default admin account to change the password.

7. Boltons November 5, 2011 at 12:06 am #

For a Windows 7 Home Premuim single user, the whole “Administrator” set-up is apretentious farce. If multi users want this, why can’t MS issue a separate product? In short, how can I safely get rid of it?

8. BIRDGET15 November 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

MY COMPUTER SAID ACESS DENIED HELP MEEEEEE!!!!!!! NOT KOOL!!!! NEED STUPID ADMIN PASSWORD!!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!

9. Ekcorniea November 16, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

I have a windows 7  admin account and I am the only user on this computer and it is the only account.  I cannot change the password.  Message reads – windows cannot change the password.
    Why is that.  Is there another hidden admin account stuck to this computer?

10. MrC December 25, 2011 at 12:41 am #

need help unlocking the laptop my son had used.
    do not know his password and he cannot remember sinse he has new laptop.
    how can I get the system up and get to the control panel to reset password?

11. Chirag January 19, 2010 at 10:27 am #

Hi there,

To Enaable and Disable the Administraor account with Win7 – first you have to set a password. Do following steps…

1 – Open Device Manager
    2 – LocalUsers & Groups
    3 – Select Users
    4 – Right Click on Administrator
    5 – Select Set Password
    6 – Set Password
    7 – Right Click on Administrator (again)
    8 – Click on Properties
    9 – You can make changes to the Administrator account
    by checking on or off.
    10 – Restart your computer once the changes are made
    11 – Login with Administrator and Local Domain (Computer Name)
    IE: ComputerNameAdministrator
    Password: (What ever Admin password you have selected to enable the account)

Chirag Patel