Enable Or Disable The Windows 7 Administrator Account

A word of caution at the beginning. It is generally not advised to tamper around with the built in administrator account of Windows 7. If you do not need it or do not know why you would need it, then don’t.

Here is a quick rundown on how to enable or disable the Windows 7 administrator account.

The easiest way to enable or disable the Windows 7 build in administrator account is from the command line. Open a command prompt with administrator rights. This is done by right-clicking on the command prompt icon in the Windows 7 start menu and selecting Run As Administrator from the available options.

grey Enable Or Disable The Windows 7 Administrator Account

To enable the Windows 7 administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes

To disable the Windows 7 administrator account:

net user administrator /active:no

To change the password of the Windows 7 administrator account:

Net user administrator password

An alternative would be to enable or disable the Windows 7 administrator account using the Local Security Policy option. You can open the Local Security Policy by launching secpol.msc from the run box.

Please note that you have only access to the Local Security Policy on certain editions of the Windows operating system. The configuration tool is only available under Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise.

You find the option under Local Policies-> Security Options. Just change the setting Accounts: Administrator account by double-clicking the entry.

grey Enable Or Disable The Windows 7 Administrator Account

This security setting determines whether a different account name is associated with the security identifier (SID) for the account Administrator. Renaming the well-known Administrator account makes it slightly more difficult for unauthorized persons to guess this privileged user name and password combination.

Again, it is not really necessary to enable the administrator account, as it is possible to use a standard account with elevated rights for the same configuration options that an administrators account would offer. And it is better for security to not run an administrator account by default.

, ,

83 Responses to Enable Or Disable The Windows 7 Administrator Account

1. Southcalifa December 23, 2010 at 5:10 am #

when i run it as admin and type what you said all it told me is acess is denied…
    =(

2. Marstechx December 23, 2010 at 5:27 am #

If your computer is locked with a password, and you happen to forget it, find a solution at

Hope it is useful.

3. Tinklewink December 27, 2010 at 11:02 pm #

windows 7 is CRAP!

4. Shanu December 31, 2010 at 7:01 am #

I changed my computer account in to member of users from the administrators. but forget to make active administrator account. now neither am not able to install any software nor able to log in as a administrator account. plz help what to do….

5. Pete January 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

The Administrator account is the equivalent of ‘su’ (super user) account in Unix. Its intended purpose is when you are changing system settings or installing/removing software. If you are using for daily use, you are not using it correctly and increasing security vunerability. Have a limited account for daily use, in Win 7 it will ask you for the Administrator password (which should have been set) much the same as in other OS. That way you separate system from daily use.

6. Anu Chinni87 January 7, 2011 at 11:00 am #

hi
    i am using windows 7 home premium. i am running websphere portal server on this
    but i am not admin for my own PC. what is this? i tried activating it but local users and groups option itself is not there in manage my computer.there should a drastic change in OS versions.this makes users very uncomfortable. pls suggest solution for this

7. Mehdi_1 January 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

Thank you for the instructions. I got it to work! :-)
    1 thing I learned is that you MUST use Run As Administrator when running cmd.
    Also When I tried to log in administrator it asked me for password! I typed the word password and it let me in, I then could change the password.

Is that what the command “Net user administrator password” does?
    I expected Linux like prompt to set password.
    Also the command “secpol.msc” does NOT work in my Windows7?!
    I cannot find any command resembling this under system32 at all!

8. Ben Birch January 29, 2011 at 6:00 am #

i had ‘system error 5 access denied’ how do i get past it?!

9. Qawarasa Rty February 2, 2011 at 2:59 am #

i think administrator default password for win7 is password couse i can log in using this password

10. Simon February 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

I need help. i forgotten my password to my Administrator account and nothing helps. what should i do?

11. Susan March 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

Have you lost your windows 7 password?

Now, we’d commend you a professional Windows password recovery software— Windows Password Reset Tool as your reference.

Time: 5 Minute!
    Recommend: +++++

As an easy method to reset Windows 7 password , there are only four steps as follow:

Step1: Download Windows Password Reset Tool ( http://www.windowspasswordreset.net ) and install it.
    Step2: Burn the ISO image file onto a USB flash drive.
    Step3: Boot up your Windows 7 PC by the bootable burned USB in minutes.
    Step4: Remove the forgot Windows 7 password on the operation interface and logon PC without password.

12. Miz_6969 April 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

unfortuanetly recently i had disabled my admin account which it had personal files on as i had lent it to my cousin my laptop now i cannot reactivate it because im a standard user? is there any way around this as i have so much stuff :(

13. Akpatty May 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

I have windows 7. I’m trying to load software and keep getting message that i don’t have administrator rights. What’s that all about???

14. Yvetteharris May 20, 2011 at 8:55 am #

the move by microsoft to disable the admin account in their Windows products, in my opinion, was a very bad move and I would bet that this will eventually effect sales, and probably already has.