Windows 7 With 512 Megabytes Of RAM

Ed Bott over at Zdnet did some virtual machine tests on how well Windows 7 runs one 512 Megabytes of RAM. He compared the results to Windows XP and Windows Vista for a broader picture with some surprising results. Windows XP used less RAM and less disk resources than the newer operating systems which is not surprising at all. Windows 7 on the other hand was able to come strong in second place while Windows Vista was clearly the system with the highest resource usage.

via ZDnet.

, , ,

27 Responses to Windows 7 With 512 Megabytes Of RAM

1. me February 9, 2009 at 12:47 pm #

Whats the point in Win7 when you can turn XP into Win7 and not have all the 100+ services eating away at your pc.

• Mathy February 12, 2009 at 12:50 pm #

Because of the features. Windows XP has an extreme lack of features. It doesn’t have ReadyBoost, SuperFetch, DirectX 10, and I could keep mentioning more.

2. wesley February 9, 2009 at 7:43 pm #

When will they learn that you can satisfy everybody.  I dont see why eveybody hates vista its way more user friendly than xp the only thing that is a little more difficult is the nework setup; and you guys are ignorant to buy windows 7. especially when it looks almost exactly like vista.

3. Adam February 10, 2009 at 4:50 am #

I’m Running Windows 7 on my 2 year old laptop and with loads of programs running i’m maxed out at 42 services running… NOT 100 plus.. and that’s with 15gb of programs installed and alot running… get ur facts strait And start up time is like 45 sec… I get that with xp but on my “new” laptop with vista it takes it close to 1:45 to start up and it has a dual core processor… Plus there’s close to 65 processes running and it’s very noticeably slower than win7… I will upgrade asap when released!!  I was thrilled to download the beta 1 for win7 tons better that Vista beta 1 which i still have dvd for…. man They need to release this faster than jan 2010….

4. Chris December 1, 2010 at 8:27 pm #

how an os looks is important. do you want an OS that looks like windows 98 but is called windows 7. it would be boring and lame. that’s why they change the themes on each one now.

5. Anonymous June 19, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

512mb is no where near enough for Win 7 in my opinion, 4gb plus is needed see here http://www.techhelpcentre.com/showthread.php?t=886575. However if you have the means 8GB would be useful, I’m not saying you need 8gb or even 4gb for that matter! however if you want the os running well thats where you need to be looking.