There are a number of expert Windows 7 users who are now sharing their Windows 7 tweaks and mods with us mere mortals. Over at the Simple Thoughts site they have shared 12 Windows 7 Hacks.
Some of the 12 Windows 7 tweaks I don’t think are that useful, but here are the better ones in the list.
How to Change Windows 7 Log On Screen
If you don’t want the same old blue log on screen for your Windows Vista, here’s what you gotta do. Go ahead with the steps below. (An alternative way can be found here: Windows 7 Logon Changer)
- Step 1: Download the file – http://www.mediafire.com/?e9y3j3vme0w
- Step 2: Click on Save and save the .zip file to the desktop
- Step 3: Open the .zip file and extract the .reg file to the desktop
- Step 4: Right click the .reg file (On Desktop) and click on Merge.
- Step 5: Click on Run, and press Yes, Yes, and OK when prompted
- Step 6: Save the custom .jpg image you want to use to the desktop with the name backgroundDefault.jpg
- Step 7: Check to see what your primary display screen resolution is. (You can do it by right clicking on any empty space on your desktop and choose screen resolution and then actuate it with your monitor’s specification.)
- Step 8: Open Paint, and click on the File icon (top left corner), Open, and navigate to and select the .jpg image from step 6. [NOTE: You can open Paint by typing mspaint.exe in the Start menu search line]
- Step 9: In Paint, click on Resize, dot Pixels, uncheck Maintain aspect ratio, then resize the .jpg image to the screen resolution size in step 7 (whatever be yours)
- Step 10:Save the .jpg file to the desktop with the exact file name below with the screen resolution size of the image. When completed, close Paint
- Step 11: In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:Windowssystem32oobeinfobackgrounds
- Step 12: Copy and Paste the .jpg files from step 10, and from step 6 into the C:Windowssystem32oobeinfobackgrounds folder, then close the window
- Step 13: You’re logon screen is now changed. You can press Ctrl+Alt+Del to test it. Click on Cancel to return to the desktop.
[NOTE: You can now delete the .reg and .zip files on the desktop if you like.]
How to Unlock the Windows 7 Hidden Themes
The Windows 7 beta has a pack of hidden and locked themes. To unlock hidden themes do the following:
- Step 1: Open the Explorer (Windows + E) and go to C:Windowswinsxs
- Step 2: Enter *.theme into the search field. Alternately you can use the * sign on the number block.
- Step 3: You’ll get the Click me prompt
- Step 4: Double-click the themes ZA, US, GB, CA, AU to install them.
How to Enable the Windows Aero in Windows 7
If you were looking for the best designed and most transparent Microsoft user interface then you can’t escape Windpws Aero. Here’s a hack to enable Windows Aero in Windows 7. But before you proceed with the steps keep a backup of your registry.
- Step 1. Click on the Start Menu and type ‘regedit’ into the search box. When the program appears click to open the regedit.exe icon.
- Step 2. Locate the Key below HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsDWM
- Step 3. Look to the pane on the right of the key hierarchy. Right click on the white area and select New > DWORD (32 bit) Value.
- Step 4. As the value appears name it UseMachineCheck.
- Step 5. Repeat and create 2 more DWORD Values, Blur and Animations
- Step 6. First double-click the value just created with the UseMachineCheck and enter 0 in the Value Data box. Do the same for Values Blur and Animations. Then click OK.
- Step 7. Now close the Registry Editor.
- Step 8. Open the Start Menu and type ‘cmd’ into the search box, right-click on cmd.exe when the program appears in the search results. Now, select Run as Administrator from the drop-down.
- Step 9. As the Command Prompt opens type the commands below
- i) Net Stop uxsms? this command will stop the Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager
- ii) Net Start uxsms this command will restart it
- Step 10. Once you close the Command Prompt. Right click on the desktop and click on Personalize from the menu.
- Step 11. Click on the Window Color and Appearance in the Personalization Windows Aero the Color Scheme menu.
How to Enable the Quick Launch Bar in Windows 7
It is a surprising to see that the Quick Launch Bar has not been enlisted in the easy to enable list. Here’s what you gotta to do to enable the Quick Launch Bar.
- Step 1:Right-click on the Taskbar and select Toolbars > New Toolbar from the menu.
- Step 2: Copy and paste the address provided below into the Address bar ‘%SystemDrive%Users%username%AppDataRoamingMicrosoftInternet Explorer‘ then click the arrow to the right of the Address bar to navigate to the folder.
- Step 3: Select the Quick Launch folder listed and click the Select Folder button
How to Get Rid of Windows 7 Expiry Date
Install the TimerNuke patch to remove the files associated with activation. It will disable the related services. So you can continue with the Windows 7 even after the activation timeline is over. Just download the patch and install. Download