Windows 7 To Launch October 22nd

Microsoft announced today that Windows 7 will be released October 22nd.   Although Microsoft said Windows 7 would be out in time for the holiday period, I doubt many people expected such an early date.  A Windows 7 RTM build should hit the streets around August.

Users who purchase a Windows Vista based system from the summer should expect to be offered an upgrade offer, rather than having to pay the full price to buy Windows 7.

Manufacturers already seem to be licking their lips in anticipation of Windows 7′s release, so expect to be bombarded with Windows 7 promotions this Christmas:

“We’re locked and loaded for the launch,” McKinney said. “The quality of code is just absolutely stellar.” Phil McKinney, chief technology officer of Hewlett-Packard’s computer unit.

Will you be upgrading to Windows 7 on launch day?  Will you wait until Windows 7 SP1 or continue runinng Windows 7 RC/RTM for as long as possible?

Update: Interested users can check out the official Microsoft Press release that is mentioned October 22 as the release data.

, , ,

12 Responses to Windows 7 To Launch October 22nd

1. Windows 7 Center June 2, 2009 at 8:51 pm #

Windows 7 RC is extremely stable. I will be running it as soon as it comes out. Will probably have the RTM through Technet/MSDN before GA =)

Expected it to be around October though based on the timing of the RC, the RTM announcement, the rumored roadmaps, and tips I received from several sources so it wasn’t a surprise.

CNet mentioned a month and a half, so perhaps RTM will hit around July instead now?

2. Jon June 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm #

Does anyone know the cutoff date for being offered a free upgrade to fools like me who just bought a Vista based system?

Thanks!

• Everton Blair June 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm #

Yes the free upgrade is available for users who buy Windows Vista after June 26. The computers need to participate in the upgrade program as well.

3. Everton Blair June 2, 2009 at 10:57 pm #

Will definitely buy the operating system once it comes out. I personally think that Home Premium offers everything that I need which is why I most likely will purchase that version.

4. smilingman June 3, 2009 at 3:39 am #

I plan on getting just Home Premium as well, the only issue I still have is pricing. This could be a make or break situation for MS if they price to high.
    They might want to wait till November to see if the economy gets better first.

5. JoeShon June 3, 2009 at 5:38 am #

I want to wait to see if they will ship the 32 and 64 bit version with the professional edition and not just the ultimate as it has been speculated. I will by the pro or the ultimate depending on price and 64 bit availability.

I’m wanting to upgrade the custom build from xp. I have had some problems with updated driver installs. Right now it’s stable, but i’m sure Vista and Windows 7 handles it better.

Heck I might see if I would get Vista for cheaper now lol. Vista does have core issues, but there are things like “Aero” you can turn off that gives better performance. Overall I need it to do my graphic design school work with my adobe sweet and utilize my full 4 gigs of memory and my new quad on the way.

6. superK June 3, 2009 at 9:41 am #

I have been WIN7 user since beta and now build 7100, I didnt think i will be saying this but think the OS is just briliant , Have managed to install build 7100 on all my machines including my old P4 running on 512 RAM.. Keep it up Redmond and remeber its better to price the product reasonably and get more volume than Vista..

7. adam June 3, 2009 at 8:28 am #

You say that MS will be offering free upgrade to Windows 7 after June 26. But I’m ready to buy two new PCs for staff. I’m not buying any new Vista machines though after several lbad experiences. So should I be holding off on buying PCs now until that date? This must be driving the channel crazy…

Adam

• Rob June 4, 2009 at 7:41 am #

yea wait until 26th of june… just remember its not a free upgrade, just abit cheaper and the computers you buy need to say that they are partisapating in the program as the user above said.

8. Mix June 4, 2009 at 2:30 am #

I just bought my newest computer, and can’t wait to get Windows 7 (I used the beta but then went back to Vista… but missed 7 so am now on the RC) sadly I’m probably going to have to wait til either January or the following year before I can buy it =( Vista isn’t too expensive with my student discount, but my school doesn’t offer x64 versions. Maybe this will change with 7!

More importantly, I hope dell will release driver updates to its software/etc for windows 7 for those of us who bought a computer this year. (Or even previously)

9. Michael June 6, 2009 at 1:01 am #

With the release date pushed forward, I’ll probably wait for this, compare it to Snow Leopard, and then buy a new computer with whichever OS works best.