Windows 7: The Future Of PC Gaming?

The release of Microsoft’s next operating system Windows 7 is just around the corner. Things are shaping up nicely and it is very unlikely that we will see any last minute delays. One interesting question that came up in the last days (with E3 taking place) was how gamers would benefit from Windows 7. We know that Microsoft will ship DirectX 11 with Windows 7 but the problem here is that only AMD has shown a DirectX 11 video card so far on a demonstration earlier this week in Taiwan. A release date for the first video card supporting DirectX 11 is set to 2009 with the likelihood that it will be near the end of the year.

Many gamers fear that DirectX 11 will take the same path that DirectX 10 took when it was announced that it would be an exclusive Windows Vista feature. While it is unlikely that DirectX 11 will take off before 2010 or even 2011 it is also unlikely that it will meet the same fate as DirectX 11. The main reason for this is that Windows 7 will see a higher acceptance rate among PC users if the experience of the beta and release candidate versions can be trusted.

Windows 7 is destined to unite Windows XP and Windows Vista users under its banner which makes the market more attractive to gaming companies. Support by video card manufacturers and gaming companies is essential as well for the success but if there is enough market then this will follow naturally.

There is however a second, often overlooked feature of Windows 7 that could become the future of gaming. At least for some gaming genres. We are talking about the touch capabilities of the operating system. Microsoft has already announced a Touchpack for Windows 7 that can be supplied with hardware bundles. This bundle contains three application and three game demonstrations that make use of the touch features of the operating system.

Touch gaming will not take off in the coming year but some gaming companies are already experimenting with touch features as shown in the video below. It is showing a strategy game that is running on Microsoft Surface hardware.

Which leads to the closing question: Will you be buying a DirectX 11 video card or touch capable screen in the near future? What’s your vision of the Windows 7 games future?

, , , , ,

12 Responses to Windows 7: The Future Of PC Gaming?

1. chieftain20 June 5, 2009 at 4:59 pm #

Probably a DX11 card for me. Its cheaper, and even though touch screen would be useful in other tasks, gaming shouldn’t be one of them.

2. JoeShon June 5, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

Wow that’s lovely

3. User39 June 5, 2009 at 5:50 pm #

DirectX11 runs on Windows7 AND on Windows Vista as announced last July at Microsoft GameFest. It runs on DirectX10 and DirectX11 cards on both operating systems. It exposes some new features like support for multicore and the new Compute Shader on the over 200M DirectX10 cards already shipped. Plus it enables new hardware features like accelerated tessellation and higher quality texture compression on the new DirectX11 chips arriving now.

4. dreamhunk June 5, 2009 at 7:24 pm #

to be honest I ‘m Impressed but still hate dislike microsoft.

5. smilingman June 6, 2009 at 2:43 am #

I will be getting a mid-level ATI card, but not for gaming.
    I plan on upgrading my Photoshop CS to CS4, it has hardware acceleration now.
    I moved on to consoles for my major gaming needs, with a few MMO’s on my PC.
    DX10 was a disappointment as far as games supported and I do not believe DX11 will make a differences if games are 2 or more years off.
    DX11 is not a major selling point to Win7.

6. dreamhunk June 6, 2009 at 11:28 am #

Both gamestop and microsoft wants pc gaming dead. They have epic games and lionhead trashing pc gaming.

7. Rob June 6, 2009 at 9:56 pm #

I don’t know about anyone else but i’ve certainly been getting more frames in alot of games compared to XP/Vista… deffos in GTA: IV (which I couldn’t get to work for the life of me in XP).

I will no doubt be buying a graphics card by the end of the year so at a guess it will be a direct x 11 nVidia (got a SLI mobo thats why nVidia). A touch screen monitor on the other hand… I don’t plan on doing and I’m upgrading that this year as well… its almost a certain no.

P.S. Long Live WASD! and theres no better analogue stick than the 3 button mouse!