Windows 7 Upgrade Pricing

One of the secrets yet to be uncovered is the pricing scheme for the Windows 7 operating system. How much will an end user have to pay to buy Windows 7. Neither the retail price nor the upgrade price of Windows 7 have been known until now.

This has changed since yesterday with a leaked Best Buy Memo getting uploaded to Engadget. The memo contains information about the upgrade prices of Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional.

According to that memo a user eligible for a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade would have to pay $49.99 while Windows 7 Professional users pay $99.99. That’s not much compared to Windows Vista upgrades. A quick check on Amazon.com reveals that Windows Vista Home Premium upgrades retail for $94.99 at the online store.

grey Windows 7 Upgrade Pricing

The main question is the prices are going to remain on the same level after this initial upgrade period. Users who followed the Windows Vista launch might remember a similar offer called Vista Express Upgrade back then which offered Windows Vista upgrades at a 50% discount. This suggests that the upgrade price for Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional after this initial period will be $99.99 for Home Premium and $149.99 for Professional.

Users who are eligible for updates can save some money in this period which is always a good incentive to get the ball rolling.

, , , ,

17 Responses to Windows 7 Upgrade Pricing

1. Eoraptor June 6, 2009 at 9:49 am #

This seems to be more like a “come and get it” sale rather than the pricing, which most everyone agrees is going to be at the same level as, or more likely higher than, Vista.

M$ is REALLY shooting themselves in the foot here… at a time when OS’s in general, and Windows in particular are becoming less relevant, they think the answer is restrictions (re:netbooks) and premium pricing.

• JohnG June 7, 2009 at 6:06 pm #

OS’ in general are not becoming less relevant at all. Nobody with a sense for privacy (let alone business security) is going to give a damn about, for example, online apps google offers or cloud computing in general.

With that in mind, there is no substiture on the horizon for an OS that runs the business software you need. And your best bet is still windows, even if you dont use MS office. Alternatives are only Linux or a Mac. And that competition is nothing new for MS…

2. Keno June 6, 2009 at 2:08 pm #

@Eoraptor>>
    Windows will never become less relevant to.. if ur refering to Mac & Linux those are for a set group of ppl. Macs – Graphic & Studio Personnels and Linux – for IT person

Windows is a House Hold Name..
    almost every office person knws how to use winodws.. and for companies to switch it wud be unwise as they would lose alot of time training ppl.

• Eoraptor June 6, 2009 at 11:33 pm #

And I’ll bet the folks at GM thought the same thing in 1969, right before the market dramatically shifted in favour of smaller, more fuel efficient foreign cars and GM failed to effectively catch up.

with cloud computing, online apps and storage, and systems like Wine and Bootcamp that allow even remotely knowledgeable users to run “windows” apps on other platforms, microsoft is sucking hind tit.

• JohnG June 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm #

You are tossing together cloud computing (see my other post) with the usual competition MS has been facing for years – its not that simple.

And its not like MS (hell, even amazon is trying to get a foothold in this whole mess) is not gearing up for their own CC services. So, if theres anything to gain there in the forseeable future, MS will be part of it one way or another, and if its only to use their vast superior resources to provide infrastructure to other companies. You know, CC doesnt run on water…

As for bootcamp, I know just as many people who ask “why buy a mac if i’m going to run windows on it 50% of the time?” as I know people who say “sure, bootcamp is the long missing feature that makes a mac an option for me”.

Besides that, Wine is a minefield for computer illiterates.

3. smilingman June 6, 2009 at 3:50 pm #

Then the prices of $200 and $300 for the full versions would be a reasonable prediction.
    Home Premium at $200 is at my price limit, but I had plan on getting this version anyway. I feel that Ultimate version is going to exceed $400.
    They still can come sell for less or more, well have to wait and see.

4. Marc Sparks June 6, 2009 at 3:57 pm #

Your math is off…a 50% discount would indicate a $200 or so price point for a Professional upgrade. And, in fact, that price already appears on the Microsoft website…$299.95 for 7Pro, $199.95 upgrqade. I didn’t look for a Home Premium price, but it must be there somewhere.

So, I’m not sure I understand what all this talk about pricing “secrets” is about, but thanks for the tip on the sale. One odd thing…Since Ultimate is only $20 more than Professional, I probably would have bought that. But if it’s not included in this presale, I guess I’ll be sticking to Professional.

5. Marc Sparks June 6, 2009 at 3:59 pm #

I’m an idiot…I was looking at Vista pricing.

• smilingman June 6, 2009 at 4:05 pm #

We all make mistakes, lets just hope MS does not make one again by pricing Win7 to high.

6. Peter Ferguson June 7, 2009 at 11:26 am #

If I upgrade can I clean install on new partition and keep the vista and dual boot?

7. MSFT_GlenF June 8, 2009 at 2:20 pm #

Martin,

Thanks for your interest in Windows 7, the best site for all the up to date news on the product is found at the Windows 7 support forum, at micorsoft.com/springboard. The site will also give you all sorts of useful information, such as the “what’s new in the RC” feed….or you can also you use talkingaboutwindows.com as an additional resource
    Thanks,
    Glen

8. Peter Moss June 8, 2009 at 2:34 pm #

I wonder, are these prices for upgrading from either Vista and XP, or just Vista?

9. Joe June 9, 2009 at 7:46 am #

All I can say is this, it’s no wonder people make use of pirates versions, because of such clear GREED. Any charges for such an upgrade is threft, because Windows 7 is not a new OS, it’s an update of Vista. Vista by the way that was realesed full of errors and very much unstable. I paid for Vists Ultimate, but I use Windows XP Pro, because I had no end of crashes with Vista to say the very least. So if Win7 is better than Vista and more stable then it should be offered as an upgrade to all those who have suffered from using Vista. If MS are intent to continually rip-off good people then they sadly I say may pirate grow in numbers. It’s should be a about fairness for all.

10. Wil June 10, 2009 at 8:27 pm #

That is nice that bestbuy.com will be selling this on there website. But will it be up by then. I haven’t been able to get on the site for months. I always get “Online Ordering is Temporarily Unavailable”

11. me June 25, 2009 at 6:47 pm #

Where is the upgrade discount for vista ultimate users?

• Eoraptor June 25, 2009 at 8:40 pm #

there is none… Ultimate Users must pay full price for their upgrade

12. windows 8 wallpapers September 8, 2011 at 5:11 am #

Nice post thanks for shearing this info