A Closer Look @ Windows 7 Prices

Windows 7 prices have just been released. Most of us anticipated a cheaper pricing scale than Vista, but we’ve been disappointed with a measly $10 deduction off of Home Premium. Putting the consumer aside, was this a monetarily intelligent move for MS to make?

I can’t say that I think so. Most people who aren’t tech savvy haven’t even tried Windows 7 yet, but almost everyone has heard of Vista’s reputation. Common sense tells me that most people won’t want to dish out $80 when they’re still worried about a lack of proper drivers and the like.

So what’s going to happen with Windows 7 once it hits shelves on October 22nd? I for one believe that many of those brightly colored boxes are going to stay where they are until a price deduction. With most people who know of Win7′s huge improvements over Vista using torrented beta leaks (some of which won’t expire for over a year), there a strong likelihood that many of them will pirate the RTM rather than dropping $80-$160. Does Microsoft really believe that most torrent users are going to pay full or upgrade price for Windows 7? It seems to me that MS is becoming a bit naive in its new age.

However, there is another, albeit much less analytical possibility for Microsoft’s decision to keep prices near identical to those of Vista. The possibility is that they don’t want people thinking of it as Vista 2.0, but rather as a full operating system instead of just an upgrade, because even if people do hear that Vista’s major issues were fixed in Windows 7, most consumers won’t have even test-driven the OS to see the major differences. They would think of its as a better Vista, and nothing more.

In conclusion, no matter what the reason is for Microsoft’s pricing, I don’t think this’ll be helping the company one bit. While their popularity is growing across the depths of the internet, the average consumer hasn’t even heard of Windows 7, and I just don’t think they’re ready for it so soon after the Vista disappointment.

, , ,

11 Responses to A Closer Look @ Windows 7 Prices

1. Daniel June 30, 2009 at 12:04 am #

Yeah, but as it turns out, us in Europe will have to pay almost twice (!) as much as our American friends, and that’s after a 1/3 discount for “E” edition, which has no IE…

2. maurice June 30, 2009 at 6:15 am #

who wants a bet the us price in $ will somehow become double the price in £

3. maurice June 30, 2009 at 6:29 am #

To add insult to injury, there is no UK English language pack for Microsoft products, so many core elements of the UK products, such as Help, are in US English (although UK dictionaries, regional settings and so forth are sometimes available).

4. max June 30, 2009 at 6:38 am #

yeah everything is much cheaper in the US. european consumers pay double the price to get the same product without extra features, this pisses me off. fuck microsoft i won’t buy anymore products off them.

5. pete June 30, 2009 at 6:44 am #

At the current exchange rate, United Kingdom consumers could be paying almost double their United States counterparts for the same software.

6. Keno June 30, 2009 at 6:19 am #

sorry to hear that Daniel… I’m from Jamaica and i must say that i have been telling all of my friends about windows 7..unfortunately i doubt any of them will be buying, but im sure they all will have there copies ;).

This line had me laughing and thinking a bit “It seems to me that MS is becoming a bit naive in its new age” lol.

But for thise who can buy i think its a product to get!!! have been testing it from build 7000 and most other realeses.. really a good Product!!!!

7. Simon June 30, 2009 at 8:03 am #

I agree about the UK/EU pricing…we are being ripped off..no 2-ways about it. Most consumers won’t know..but most consumers will just be put off by the price anyway…a shame as I like W7 but I think MS are gonna cock this up (again) with this pricing.

8. mtarm1 June 30, 2009 at 9:44 am #

us aussies get it worse than uk…. feel sorry for us aussies (but not for me i pre ordered from the US hehe

9. Mike July 1, 2009 at 2:01 am #

Windows 7 is Windows Vista with lots of improvements. Even Microsoft admitted it.
    The general public won’t buy Retail because of the price mostly but also because of the compatibility. They really believe those “Works with Vista/Windows 7″ stickers so that’s why they prefer the OEM’s which area cheaper and included in the system’s price which makes it affordable.
    The RTM version was never intended to the general public but that doesn’t mean Microsoft must restrict access to it.

10. smilingman July 1, 2009 at 8:12 am #

I was hoping to get Win7 HP within a few months of launch but the price was $50 more than I hoped for. I have to buy 3 copies, 2 for me and another for my mother.
    The $50 launch upgrade price is great, but I do not like to do upgrades and beside newegg already sold out in 2 days.
    MS has real missed this up, first Vista ME and now this over pricing. It seems that all the hype from the blogs and the geeks has made them think that users are willing to pay premium prices for what is a fix for a broken OS.
    It is just as easy to torrent a retail ISO as beta ISO and I will be run Win7 RC for a while. I see sales being high the first few months then dropping off sharply. There will be 3x more pirated copy on computers than real ones. MS should of taken a hit on the price for the users.

11. ben July 1, 2009 at 10:16 am #

I along with alot of people from the UK, and the world hated Vista with a passion thats almost holy, the price of vista in the UK was, and still is appaling (even though the prices vary greatly), if W7 has a high price I and a number of people I know will be waiting for a reduction or for eBuyer.com to have a sale that has W7 included, if they can get W7 HP OEM to be less than £100 ($165 as of 1st july 2009) then I will buy it, if not then I can go back to XP for a while