Windows 7 And Its Running Processes

I have a little confession. I am slightly obsessed with keeping Windows 7’s running process (when not in use, of course) number below 35. I honestly like to keep it at 30 if you want the truth. I know what your thinking – who cares and why on earth are you worried about how many processes are running on your computer? Well, I like to keep my windows rig running as fast as possible. With as little excess stuff running in the background. If you remember Vista and it’s sometimes excessive 50-60 running processes.

One of the processes that I have permanently stopped is Windows Search. I see no need to have this 3 process feature running in the background scanning and indexing my computer whenever it wants. I know where everything on my computer is located at all times. Therefore I have zero use for these processes. I have also turned off Superfetch for the same reason. I see no difference in the way my computer searches or acts. Except for, I can’t search for files from the start menu anymore. But that does not concern me at all. A few others that I keep off are Windows Defrag, Offline Files, and some others. I do not know why I am so fixated with keeping my process count as low as possible. But I am, it’s my cross to bare.

The Windows Media Network Sharing Service is a process that I love to use. But hate to have turned on.It allows streaming of media all over my house. It also allows “push streaming” to my Xbox 360. But by having this feature turned on. It increases my RAM usage by two fold. I have 8GB’s of RAM installed. With the process off, my usage is at 12% of 8GB. With it turned on my Ram usage is 24%. That is quite a jump just for one process. But it is one feature I use daily, so I keep it on. A necessary evil so to speak.

Do you turn off any of Windows 7’s processes? If so, which ones and why? Or am I alone in trying to keep a supposedly light OS even lighter?

, ,

54 Responses to Windows 7 And Its Running Processes

1. alex April 6, 2010 at 7:46 pm #

hey, i just read your article and find it interesting and relevant to my interests.
    few days ago, i had to write and essay about some features of windows 7, but, i have a problem, i own a mac pro, so, i couldn’t really check windows 7.
    also, tryed to google some info as well, but around the web seems to be a lack of the information that i need.
    mind if u could help me out with it? hope u got the time, all i asking is some info.
    first, i need to explain how windows 7 manage his process, how the memory is managed in windows 7, how the files are managed as well and the last: how the in-out devices work.
    any info about this things would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. john May 17, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

less processes is better, it always has been and always will be. More processes mean less available ram, less usable resources and more cpu time. An XP install with 17-20 processes can do everything and starts up in under 23 seconds on a 10 year old laptop.
    Your computer is like a bus, the cpu is the engine, the processes are the passengers. The fewer passengers, the faster the bus accelerates, stops and goes up hills.

3. lazarjr1979 May 27, 2010 at 7:41 am #

Hi…. I like your self like to keep my process to a minimal,but my philosophy is that every one is different in there needs some process might be useful for one but not another and for those who don’t care make sure you have a plenty of ram and time (LOL). My best advice would be, make sure its not a vital process that might effect your PC stability or security,from there the rest is fair gain. I will admit that i do like allot of that so called “useless junk”, for example those previews when you pause on a .avi file. I’m guessing one of Microsoft aim is elegance. Note all these small things IS what makes Win 7, Win 7. So my conclusion is “Ram is the future” as i always like to give back I came across this web page that surely will help most on deciding what is right for them. http://www.computingunleashed.com/2009/06/speed-up-windows-7-ultimate-guide-to.html

hope this helped

4. lazarjr1979 May 27, 2010 at 7:41 am #

hope this helped

5. Barrnone June 13, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

All these processes running in the background are giving your hard drive no rest and I wonder how muich research was done into the reduction in life of a hard drive.

6. Anonimusisu December 29, 2010 at 6:03 pm #

i have 21 processes, and 10% ram used…out of 3 gb. :P. guess i got you beat.

7. Curtis December 29, 2010 at 6:43 pm #

hi im using a hp notebook with w7 and an atom ht processor @1.66 with 1GB RAM and i find it runs a lot smoother with less processes active also the harddisk isnt being used as much wich also helps

8. Scripghost January 29, 2011 at 4:28 am #

Well for all the people saying processes don’t consume cpu or memory are dilusional, any time you have a (process) it means it is using system resources, the point is, less processes for things you don’t use is better, your computer will also reap the benefit of being more responsive do to the event handler not required to keep track of all them (processes)

9. Icthem2 February 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

i am the same way about running process…if i could create a shortcut for it…which im sure i could somewhere in the system 32 folder i would. i end processes constantly,and also disable alot of services….i run windows 7 64 bit,and 4 gigs of ram…which is sufficient i guess for my needs…that is some games,creating animated gifs,and soundforge for audio remastering…however i am still looking to get the most out of my pc…hell i dont even run an antivirus,because of all the processes it has to run..i know i know….but i do keep up on my hidden folders such as temporary internet folders and such….but in short i feel your pain

10. PWals December 14, 2011 at 11:00 am #

Ya, same here. I hate it when windows processes are rattling all the time for… god knows what. Keep it simple, keep it clean for the apps you use. Who needs a bloated bling bling OS anyway? It’s stupid.