Windows 7 And Its Running Processes

I have a little confession. I am slightly obsessed with keeping Windows 7′s running process (when not in use, of course) number below 35. I honestly like to keep it at 30 if you want the truth. I know what your thinking – who cares and why on earth are you worried about how many processes are running on your computer? Well, I like to keep my windows rig running as fast as possible. With as little excess stuff running in the background. If you remember Vista and it’s sometimes excessive 50-60 running processes.

One of the processes that I have permanently stopped is Windows Search. I see no need to have this 3 process feature running in the background scanning and indexing my computer whenever it wants. I know where everything on my computer is located at all times. Therefore I have zero use for these processes. I have also turned off Superfetch for the same reason. I see no difference in the way my computer searches or acts. Except for, I can’t search for files from the start menu anymore. But that does not concern me at all. A few others that I keep off are Windows Defrag, Offline Files, and some others. I do not know why I am so fixated with keeping my process count as low as possible. But I am, it’s my cross to bare.

The Windows Media Network Sharing Service is a process that I love to use. But hate to have turned on.It allows streaming of media all over my house. It also allows “push streaming” to my Xbox 360. But by having this feature turned on. It increases my RAM usage by two fold. I have 8GB’s of RAM installed. With the process off, my usage is at 12% of 8GB. With it turned on my Ram usage is 24%. That is quite a jump just for one process. But it is one feature I use daily, so I keep it on. A necessary evil so to speak.

Do you turn off any of Windows 7′s processes? If so, which ones and why? Or am I alone in trying to keep a supposedly light OS even lighter?

, ,

54 Responses to Windows 7 And Its Running Processes

1. Simon June 30, 2009 at 12:23 pm #

Sean
    I’m surprised how small your balls are in comparison to your ego. Mike calls sajet a “f-ing retard”, and that gives you reason to thank him. If your ego-maniacal self  can’t stand people who disagree with you, at least take them on directly, instead of standing behind the tree and clapping when someone else abuses them.
    You seem to have a popular blog, use it to encourage some good discussion. You seem to be expletive and acidic remarks (as long as they say what you say).
    Having said that, I fail to understand why, in spite of owning such a powerhouse of a machine, you turn off some of the best features of Windows. You have 8 gigs of RAM for God’s sake!
    Let the abuses begin.

• Sean Marshall June 30, 2009 at 1:05 pm #

where to begin…..
      first: sajet’s comment, his comment was silly and he got what he deserved. i never said anything bad to him at all. (said from behind a tree clapping)
      second: this not my blog… i am an author for this website.
      third: this is good discussion!
      four: my computer is not a “powerhouse” not at least by todays standards.
      five: and the best features that i turned off are??
      i never want to be rude to our readers only start friendly discussion! thank you for your time.

2. Vigilante June 30, 2009 at 2:01 pm #

Okay, I’m not one to usually comment here in spite of typical online arguments, but this reply just got on my nerves.

First: Sajet’s comment was simply a hyperbole (exaggeration) of the exact kind of software trimming you describe in your blog post. He did not say anything particularly silly, nor did he make it sound like you said anything bad to him. Your response was just not required – some people just prefer to get down to the basics of the argument without wasting time on niceties. For example, if you installed windows 7 just to simply remove/disable some of windows 7′s services, why not install windows XP? Or 2000? Or one which more suitably fits into your ideal operating system configuration. He was simply taking that point further, which you obviously didn’t like.
    Second: Yes, this is not your blog. When you signed up to become a writer here there was no statement saying that all comments would fit with your idea of what is correct, and that anything else deserves dismissal. Replies to blog posts are often more important than the blog post itself, since it gives a means to communicate and share ideas/viewpoints that may have been overlooked in the initial post.
    Third: It it not a discussion, because you downright dismissed the first person to post a reply here. Sure, it may not have been particularly constructive reply, but then you had no obligation ro reply to that, either. Since you did choose to reply, it again should have been something constructive.
    Fourth: the average amount of RAM in a modern computer is somewhere between 2 and 4gb. 8gb is certainly way above average, especailly since 6gb configurations are becoming increasingly popular due to the triple channel memory provided by the i7.
    Fifth: Superfetch, for example. You disabled it to save some ram? Superfetch disables Readyboot, which prioritises files on the hard disk for most optimal loading. It also controls on-demand (triggered) service starts, causing them all to start at startup/delayed startup, causing the very bloat that you’re trying to remove. As another commentator said – you ahve 8gb of ram, why not use it? 12% of 8gb is 1GB of ram, why bother installing 8gb if you’re only going to use a fraction of it in real applications? Running at even 30% for applications and 65% cache, means that you have 6gb of application data ready to go, and unless you have a solid state disk (see powerhouse comment…) that is very beneficial to application load times.

Finally… My two cents. I also have 8gb of ram, and I have just placed an order for a 128gb G.Skill Falcon SSD. I disable the network sharing service since it’s something I don’t use – but I’ve never noticed it using even half the amount of ram you’re describing. 24% down to 12% would mean it was using approximately 975MB of ram on an 8gb system, and no process should use that much normally (exceptions being games and heavy duty apps, not a simple streaming application). I disable the processes that don’t impact my day-to-day use of the computer – Print spooler for example, since I never need to print anything (and my printer is about 8 years old – I don’t even know if it has Vista drivers!), I also disable windows search since like yourself, I arrange the files on my computer in a logical way anyway, so I know where to go without having to search. I have Superfetch, offline files and the automatic defragmenter enabled, although I still use a third party utility for defragging anyway. And one thing I’d like to say last of all – Search in your start menu is removed if you physically go to add/remove windows features and remove Windows Search. Disabling the service just means the searches are a little slower from the start menu, which for me is the perfect balance between the two.

I hope you don’t assume I’m just ranting at you for no real reason. I just hope you continue to create useful articles that provide us an insight into how the authors use their own computers – I know that I for one am interested in this stuff.

3. Sean Marshall June 30, 2009 at 2:55 pm #

hey thanks for the good comment.

4. Cockmongler June 30, 2009 at 2:58 pm #

“bare” => “bear”

5. Stu Kopelman June 30, 2009 at 4:47 pm #

Thank you for reminding me  how many processes are running on my WIN7 box. 59! I am going to hunt down the resource thieves and keep them at bay. I like a very slick machine that behaves just like you do.
    Perhaps you might want to not only enlighten your readers about all of the processes you do not use, but where you go to disable them.
    Thank you for a very excellent website.

6. Sean Marshall June 30, 2009 at 6:17 pm #

you can turn on/off what services and what programs start up by typing  msconfig in the start search. enjoy.

7. shep July 1, 2009 at 1:58 am #

Like you I AM OBSESSED! I think I’m down to 30 as well. Black Viper’s site is the ideal place to learn about all this.

8. Mike July 1, 2009 at 6:33 am #

simon, its not that people disagree, it was his sarcastic answer to someone just wanting to know others opinions.

9. MBeau July 2, 2009 at 9:35 am #

I can’t believe Black Viper’s website is still around.  Great website breaks down some services and resource tweaks – http://www.blackviper.com/  I am in the same boat, no need for Windows Search to be running when I know where everything is.

10. Sean Marshall July 2, 2009 at 4:44 pm #

thanks to everybody for the comments!

11. Sneer82 July 3, 2009 at 12:04 pm #

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…

12. Immortal July 4, 2009 at 12:33 am #

AHHHHHh. Msconfig. My money maker. Fixes slow computer in a matter of seconds. I make money fixing computers. Ill do msconfig and be completely finished slow to fast in 9 seconds. Then ill keep the computer for a couple days to play with it. install windows 7 and do some benchmarks. Then get paid. lol msconfig LOL

13. Hamster July 7, 2009 at 10:39 am #

I also like to kill off excess processes.
    WHY do windows vista/7 INSIST on running index services while you are working??? coulden’t it just run it when the cpu is idle???
    There are alot of services i kill on my computer… like superfetch, ready boost, index service.
    Take a look at linux and keep the OS light.
    Thanks for a excellent website. :-)

• Sean Marshall July 7, 2009 at 11:26 am #

hey hampster, i have noticed that by turning off superfetch. it takes a little longer for my computer to start up. i have turned it back on and my computer starts up faster. just saying : )

14. Danfuerth January 24, 2010 at 11:07 am #

LMAO you guys are nuts!!! Os’s running 70+ processes WTF is wrong with you guys.

I love XP and will keep using xp until the SUN goes supernova.

No one in the Pro Audio or Video or Even graphics is using this bloatware 7 or vista crap!!! period end of story. It is either Mac based / XP custom setups or Linux workstations for high end graphics No one in their right mind is going to be working with windows 7 in those markets, maybe in the home users.

My current sweet Audio workstation system

Intel i7
    Xp pro ( lited edition ) 40 megs OF RAM USAGE!!!! with patched kernel to use more than 4 gigs of ram!!! yes these patches do exist!!!
    8 gigs of ram ( 3 used for ram soft drive for tracks)
    Internal Ram drive ( uses 8 gig of ram sticks) nice hardware for audio tracks
    Main drive is a raptor 500 gig

Processes = 8+1 ( Sequencer Samplitude)

I have used and am continuing to run windows 7 because I have tamed the beast as I did with Vista as well
    My other test machine

Windows 7
    445 megs of ram usage
    Running Processes down to 20
    All moronic services disabled
    Eye Candy disabled
    Audio services disabled ( you don’t need them to actually hear Audio from even videolan or even WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER WTF!!!! lmao)
    Works in XP as well

Microsoft why don’t you guys email me so I can show you how to build your next windows version? Is it any wonder why Linux is a freight Train coming at you ?
    Look at Ubuntu and the work they are doing!!!!!

Microsoft your next Version should be as follows

-Workspaces PERIOD END OF STORY GET THIS CRAP IN!!!!
    -Ubuntu type sliding apps with just the mouse to virtual spaces windows
    -Depository for small apps and tools, NICE for your Office app demos!!! DUH!!!
    -Depository for drivers!! DUH!!!
    -NO MORE CLIPPY!!!!!! Everyone wants to shoot that thing
    -Ram usage for down to earth Who cares if you have 4 gigs of ram when the OS is trying to use it up for what?? LMAO most idiotic thing I have ever seen!!!!!!
    Ram is for Apps!!!! period! not be gobled up for just the OS
    Run at mid 500 megs of ram
    -Bring down the number of processes I did and now I like windows 7 – still use XP though for audio work
    -Interface – UBUNTU!!!!! Simple and effective, we don’t need a aqua clone
    -NO AERO that crap uses 60 megs of ram – total use of Shell interface
    -Kernel NO LIMITS ON RAM !!!!! wtf is wrong with you guys even apple knows people are aware that ram limits are Software licence limits hence why they are increase the support to more than 12 gigs now!!

Enough?? email me for structural and subsystem changes that have to get done!! Yes not a nob, Systems IT specialist , MCSA, MSCE, CISCO no need to post more
    danfuerth@gmail.com

15. Anonymous February 27, 2010 at 9:58 am #

Fellas, all these options about do this and don’t do that avoids the stated purpose (the merely obvious stated purpose in any first year university course on computer software, which is about right for my poor little pea-brain). Which option you favor, whether more processes, more ram, more CPU horsepower, yin vs. yang, all the options (and myriad others) depends on what your overall or defining purpose that you use your computer for. (Take that sentence in for alteration or surgery, whichever comes first.) For intense games (what other kind are there), fractal or relational algebra in graphics or the like, cost no object, pour on the CPU, RAM, single-thread, prioritize and limit the number of processes (manually or by utility software). Chose and vis-a-vis any options for the overall purpose you intend to accomplish.