How To Monitor CPU Temps With Windows 7

We recommend! Click Here to Turbo Charge your PC and internet

Even if you have a a water-cooled system like me, you still need to monitor your CPU temps.  I work in a very hot room and my poor PC can still get quite hot, which isn’t helped because my system is overclocked.  A picture of my system is below just after I’d installed the water-cooling and before I’d tidied up my wiring.  I’ve changed a few bits since though (current spec: Windows 7 Build 7100 x64, Q6600, SwiftTech water-cooling, 4GB Ram, Radeon HD 4670):

grey How To Monitor CPU Temps With Windows 7

Two CPU temp monitoring programs that do work with Windows 7 are Real Temp (intel only) and Core Temp (AMD&Intel).  My favorite is Real Temp which monitors each core individually, and includes the following features in version 3.o:

• grey How To Monitor CPU Temps With Windows 7Core i7 temperature and frequency support including Turbo mode.
  • NVIDIA temperature reporting with highest GPU temperature displayed in SLI mode
  • Ability to run a file or shutdown based on user defined alarm temperature
  • Updated interface with modern XP / Vista style and border in Mini Mode
  • Start Minimized Vista issues finally fixed
  • New RivaTuner plug-in support
  • Extra information on the main screen and the retirement of the toggle button
  • Switch to UNICODE for better international support
  • Adjustable GUI colors and bold System Tray font option
  • TJMax updated based on new Intel documentation and further testing
  • Calibration formula simplified
  • All new CPU Cool Down Test for a more thorough look at your sensors
  • Clock Modulation & Minimize on Close options
  • New CPU Load meter, log file headings and Distance to TJMax in the System Tray
  • 101 other improvements including initial Windows 7 Beta support

, , , , ,

7 Responses to How To Monitor CPU Temps With Windows 7

1. Michael July 13, 2009 at 8:42 am #

I use speedfan, its simple, lightweight and works really well on Windows 7 RC, and the Beta before that. And its free.

2. Mike July 13, 2009 at 10:15 am #

I just use SpeedFan works 100%, Reports GPU Temp, Cpu Temp, Mobo Temp, and a few I dont know what they are (assuming Mobo)

3. bobisimo July 13, 2009 at 2:35 pm #

On my MacBook, I use iStatPro. Not to sound like a commercial, but it notifies you of CPU and Memory Usage, HD space, network stats, up time, processes, and load average, as well as all fan speed, and temperatures for all devices such as the HD, CPU, Enclosure Base, Heat Sinks, Memory Banks, and the two “northbridge” temperatures.

It’s such a fantastic utility but I’ve never found anything as comprehensive and small (visually) as this utility. Is there anything like that for Windows? I would love to have something like this on Windows and I don’t get why we don’t already have it. I’ve seen widgets that, collectively, do some of this – but not all. Or am I missing something?

Here’s a screenshot of the different layouts for iStatPro:

4. john August 3, 2009 at 8:01 am #

water cooling is cooler

5. Behrpresrv September 19, 2010 at 8:01 pm #

What is the optimum temp one should hope to achieve?

• Matt November 25, 2010 at 12:28 am #

Every CPU is different. Look up the model number on your motherboard and/or CPU and look online for maximum temperature specifications.

6. Forte Rocha October 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

Im using Speedfan and Real Temp and they show different temperatures for both cores. wth?!