Windows 8’s name was chosen because it will be the 8th version of Windows. Double-checking this isn’t as easy as you may think and trips up many people. Here are the Windows versions that preceded Windows 8:
- Windows 1.0
- Windows 2.0
- Windows 3.0
- Windows 95 (Windows 4.0)
- Windows 2000 (Windows 5.0)
- Windows Vista (Windows 6.0)
- Windows 7 – Launching October 22nd 2009
- Windows 8!
Now, some of you who are paying attention will notice that Windows NT, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows Millennium. This is because:
- Windows NT was actually treated asw Windows 3.1
- Windows 98, 98SE and Windows Millennium shipped as 4.0.1998, 4.10.2222, and 4.90.3000
Now, to make matters even more confusing Microsoft have versioned Windows 7 as Windows 6.1. However, they are still treating it as ‘Windows 7’ because of the significance of the release.
There you go – hope that makes sense now!