How To Create a Windows 7 Homegroup

Windows 7 provides a new and exciting feature called Homegroup. This improvement allows users a unique way to network other computers running Windows 7 in a home or workplace situation.

Under Windows 7 you can forget about setting up a conventional network system as Windows 7 Homegroup is simpler and easier to set up. This new feature works with all computers running Windows 7.

What is Windows 7 Homegroup?

Homegroup allows you to connect wirelessly to other computers allowing you to share documents, photos, music and other files as well as your printer. As the initiator of Homegroup you can ensure the security of your files by making them read-only. However, you also have the option of allowing other members of your Homegroup to modify your files.

hg1a

Setting up a HomeGroup

To create a Windows 7 HomeGroup you need two or more computers running Windows 7.  This exercise will involve setting up a HomeGroup for two computers, a Desktop computer and a Laptop computer.

The Desktop computer takes the first step in setting up a Homegroup. This involves deciding whether to share library files and printers and then generating a Homegroup password so other user(s) can join the Homegroup network.

The Desktop Computer

1. Click the Start button or press the Windows key.
  2. hg1

3. When the Start Menu opens, select Control Panel.
  4. hg1b

5. When the Control Panel window opens, in the section labelled Network and Internet, ChooseHomegroup and Sharing Options.
  6. hg16

7. The Homegroup window opens, click the button labelled, Create a Homegroup.
  8. hg15

9. The “Create a Homegroup” window opens, displaying the features you can share – Pictures, Documents, Music, Printers and Videos.
  10. hg13

11. Check the boxes for those items you wish to share.
  12. hg11

13. Click the Next button.
  14. Next, Windows 7 generates a password to allow other computer user(s) to join the Homegroup.
  15. hg10

16. Click Print password and instructions.
  17. Give the Password information sheet to the other computer user(s).
  18. Click the Finish button.

+Note: Your part is now over. The other computer user(s) now has to register their computer to join the Homegroup.

In Creating a Homegroup Part 2 you will learn about registering your Laptop.

, , ,

14 Responses to How To Create a Windows 7 Homegroup

1. Yaro December 16, 2009 at 4:59 pm #

I see it’s Microsoft attempting to implement network file sharing and wrapping yet another buzzword around it to make it seem new and unique.

What are the chances that I’ll effortlessly turn up an equivalent Linux implementation that’s already existed for years before even Windows XP? Windows 7′s “new” features are rife with things like that.

• weagle08 August 7, 2010 at 8:47 am #

how about you linux fan boys just be quiet and do your thing… Windows supports more hardware ouf of box, and is easier for the common person to use… if Linux were easier than Windows then it would be the #1 OS… Windows ~85% of the market OS X ~ 12% of the market… I’ll let you linux losers fight over the rest of the market vs freeBSD… later

• tomb September 29, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

Amen Amen

2. satans March 14, 2010 at 2:16 am #

crap won’t work for me, FAIL

• Kvarun70 November 22, 2010 at 9:19 am #

try it once again

3. Black_Materia March 30, 2010 at 8:50 pm #

uhm…….. i’m a college student in a college dorm. I want to set up MY homegroup but someone else on the network already set it up. I DONT want to “JOIN” HIS homegroup. How do I CREATE my own?!

4. Anonymous March 31, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

“P.S. I am a network administrator and proficient with all networking aspects yet this “user friendly version” is annoyinly restrictive.”

I call bull. If you were really a seasoned network administrator you’d know Windows is utter bollucks for network administration, and for running a server.

Shame. I was so close to believing you.

5. Gardiner Barry June 29, 2010 at 12:19 am #

It would be great it if worked,, It doesn’t for me.

6. Ptsinto87 October 26, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

is it possible to create a homegroup with the computer connected to the router

• Sjasojasdio April 6, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

Yes it is

7. Joze October 31, 2010 at 2:25 am #

I tried creating a Homegroup but it won’t let me. It says I have to enable it. I enabled it, then it says I have to configure my network connection. So I ticked enable IPv6 on my router, but to no avail.

It was easier to create a LAN group before IPv6.

• Fsofsjfnias April 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

Use IPv4

8. ScreenAid facebook December 15, 2010 at 3:15 am #

Thanks for sharing this. I will soon have a used Fujitsu B Series touch screen pc. It is interesting to see how much can be packed inside a case so small these days. Upon researching these ultra portables I have seen already just how spendy they are, in the $2000.00 range. I had thought that the $350 I paid for the 5 year old Fujitsu B2360 was alot til I checked todays pric

9. Yaro Kasear April 7, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Homegroups are one example of why Windows is just terrible at networking. In any sane OS, it’s just a matter of plugging in your ethernet cable or turning on your wireless and BAM! you’re on the network.

When you connect to a network on Windows 7, though, it gets INCREDIBLY needy. It asks a bunch of questions it could reasonably answer itself if Windows had a decent networking stack, tries to get the user to commit to calling the network a home network, business network, or a public network so it can adjust its flawed security to match.

Then there’s homegroups, which is just the workgroups system with a different name. Workgroups have always been utterly pointless on any network, even on those that are primarily Windows-based. Their only purpose was so that Microsoft could try to exclude any non-Windows based network clients from reasonably accessing the Windows machines.

Reinforcing the monopoly, if you will.

Though they’ve been changing SMB, too. For example, though it makes PERFECT sense to do so, and would be very easy to do, The XBox 360 has absolutely zero SMB support unless it’s done Windows 7 style. This basically means if you’re running a media center core based on, oh, Linux on Samba, the xbox 360 will COMPLETELY IGNORE IT.

This is all due to Microsoft wanting you to run your network on Windows: They want you running your network core on Windows Media Center, upnp, or trying to get you to run the network on the unreasonable homegroup system.

Here’s a better way to network: Screw homegroups, tell your router to set up a DNS server and assign your machines NAMES or even static IP addresses. Then you can just tell your systems what machine to go to instead of trying to coax your entire network into recognizing workgroups.