Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility List

The majority of hardware and devices are compatible with Windows 7. But what about that lovely old document scanner that you are using since you bought it ten years ago? What about other hardware and devices that you want to use under Windows 7? One solution to find out would be to install Windows 7 and see if it works. That’s not always practicable especially in company environments.

A better solution is the Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility List that is being offered by Microsoft. The list can only be viewed with Microsoft’s Internet Explorer but that’s the only restriction here.

Microsoft has re-purposed the website to “display a comprehensive list of hardware products logo’d for Windows”.

Welcome to the Windows Logo’d Products List updated for Windows 7. This site (formerly known as the ‘Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List’ or ‘HCL’) has been repurposed to display a comprehensive list of hardware products logo’d for Windows – from components to input devices, peripherals to mobile devices and everything in between.* Use the new Windows 7 tab to confirm Windows 7 Status, or even download a Logo Verification report. Use the Windows Vista and Windows XP tabs to quickly discover products logo’d for these respective logos.

A device or hardware with the Windows 7 logo has passed Microsoft’s 32-bit and 64-bit compatibility tests in Windows 7. What this means is that users will find many hardware devices and gadgets in the hardware compatibility list but not all of them as vendors need to submit their products to the Windows Quality Online Services team for review.

grey Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility List

It is possible to browse various categories and subcategories like digital cameras & video, networking or printer & scanners. Categories are divided into a device section and systems section. The systems section contains lists of netbooks, notebooks, PCs and motherboards while every other hardware device is found in the devices section of the site.

A search is provided to quickly locate a device without having to browse the categories manually. Interested users who want to verify that their hardware is compatible with Windows 7 can point their Internet Explorer to the Windows Logo’d Product Lists website.

, , , ,

14 Responses to Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility List

1. gary bing September 21, 2009 at 5:58 pm #

Dreaaamer! What a dreaaamer. As the song goes.

2. Rob September 22, 2009 at 3:31 am #

This is all well and good…. however for the average Joe users who have brought desktops/laptops with manafactor custom hardware (like how Sony will ONLY allow you to install their special drivers for your gfx card, which also normally stops you changing wot bit your OS is as well).

For example, I have a nVidia 9300m GS 128mb gfx in my Sony… a normal one is compatible with XP/Vista/7… the laptop came pre bundled with Vista 32, uninstalled that and put 7 32 on, I was forced to only use 175.xx driver (I think) which is quite old, had to use compatibility mode to get it to install… it worked fine… however this wouldn’t work with XP (unless I searched long and hard for a Sony laptop with same gfx card that came bundled with XP).

Now my point is, if you had a laptop with a specilist gfx card that was bundled with XP (but nVidia say its compatible with Vista/7 as well) but your manafactorer doesnt release a Vista driver… you would feel miss informed by m$ when they say you will have no problems with 7.

I hope thats understandable haha. I know m$ can’t prevent this, but people with Sony and other manafactorers should be given advice to check with their manafactor if their will be driver support.

Edit: I hear Sony will be offering Windows 7 driver after its release for their Vista based machines… I’m not sure about XP based 1′s.

• Rob September 22, 2009 at 3:32 am #

btw… the 175.xx driver I spoke about was the Sony made driver, I don’t think I made that clear above.

• Rob February 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

in regards to my laptop, I managed to install the official desktop graphics driver on my laptop. Which not only improved performance massively, it also allowed me to use a 64bit OS and if I wanted to, use XP.

• MHazell July 17, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

You do know you can click the edit button instead of having to reply to yourself, right?

3. Anonymous April 14, 2010 at 7:45 pm #

wi just installed windows 7 in my comp and want to know can u use service pack two from xp

• Rob Carson April 15, 2010 at 11:32 am #

No you can’t, XP SP2 is for the XP operating system, it has nothing to do with Windows 7. Windows 7 will have its own services packs but none are available at the moment. Just make sure you turn Windows Updates on and if and when Windows 7′s service packs are available, they will download and install themselfs.

To clarify, no you can not use Service pack 1, 2 or 3 from XP.

I hope this helps, Rob.

• Dist6chair February 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

Win 7 svc pk 1 is available now.

• MHazell July 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

True, but did you read the date on the comment? It was dated to where there was no service packs. I hope you noticed that.

• MHazell July 17, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Don’t forget service pack 1 and 2 for 64 bit Windows XP.

4. ian kirkwood April 14, 2010 at 7:45 pm #

• MHazell July 17, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

No, Service packs are OS specific. If was make for XP, it can only be installed in XP.

5. Dist6chair February 28, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

Windows 7, is not compatible with most hardware older then 2 years. Why MS didn’t make their new OS, backwards compatible, is beyond me. They are a bunch of smug A holes. It is far cheaper and easier to install a different OS and to heck with them. Too many other OS choices out their to worry about a second rate GUI system like this. Even XP was far better. It just didn’t allow MS to track your system and software, in case you had some sort of unlicensed stuff. The NSA key is definitely back with W7.

• Rob February 28, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

Hi Dist6chair, i’m not sure what hardware you are referring to not being compatible but i have found Windows 7 to be great for compatibility with older hardware, most of which installs its self via Windows Update or generic drivers.

nVidia support Windows 7 all the way back to series 6 graphics cards, both 32bit and 64bit. ATI go one step further and support cards which are mega old in computer terms, for example I have a really old family computer running a ATI 9800xt which is fully supported with official drivers.

There might be super old printers and a few devices which don’t support 64bit but I bet they are far older than 2 years. I have found that almost everything that worked with Vista works with 7, that was one of the main reasons M$ used the same starting build number of 6.