How to use Windows 7 System Restore

Why Use System Restore?

After you install software it makes changes to the registry or delete files, and sometimes you may even modify some settings knowingly or unknowingly. It is possible that the system may start crashing or become unstable. If that happens you can undo all this changes and restore the system to earlier time by using System Restore Utility.

What does System restore do?

It is like undo.It puts your computer back to a previous state of use that was available before you had problems. It does this by periodically taking a snapshot of your system. These snapshots are called restore points.
Restores points are created when you make any significant changes, like adding new applications or installing a driver. But you can also manually create restore points. The upshot is that these Restore points can help you restore the whole system back to a previous post.

Problems with System Restore in Previous Versions of Windows

Both XP and Vista had similar issues with system restore. It was an all or nothing environment.  Son if you needed to use it, you were forced to restore the full system. You also weren’t able to look inside your System restore files, so you could not restore just one single file or folder. You also cannot restore specific part of your like just System files, or User data.

Windows 7 System Restore

Windows 7 System Restore utility has now merged with the Windows Backup utility. You can now use System Restore with Advance recovery to restore the system using previously created System Images or even restore your computer to its original settings.

How To:

Start at the Control Panel, then select System and Security

System Security

System Security

System and Security

System and Security

Select Recovery

Action Center

Action Center

You can beging the system restore operation with the following:

Open System Restore

Open System Restore

Restore System Files and Settings

Restore System Files and Settings

One has to determine which restore point is the preferred one to use.

System Restore

System Restore

If those are not enough, one can choose others.

Show More Restore Points

Show More Restore Points

You have additional restore points available.

Confirm Your Restore Point

Confirm Your Restore Point

Warning: if the Windows password has changed recently, create a password reset disk; but the system administrator can do it.

That is all that is necessary.

19 Responses to How to use Windows 7 System Restore

1. Sean Higgins September 25, 2009 at 3:09 pm #

good article. welcome to the windows 7 team by the way!

2. dany November 2, 2009 at 5:57 pm #

thanks alot
    i have windows 7 professional
    i did the same stips but today i tried to do system restore for 3 days ago but i didnot found the system restore which i maked it , i choiced show more more restore points but did not found my restore point , i found the others system restore for today only
    can you tell me please how to fux this poblem
    sorry for my english
    thanks alot

• Chargerrtse822 February 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

How did you ever get your computer to a restore point.   It’s been stuck on window that says “restore system fie & setting”  then there are blue letters that say ” system protection”  I click that but will not open. Every thing stays stuck. The darn thing has been stuck for 12 hours now.  How does a person get this computer to cooperate right ?

3. help me!! LoL!!! February 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm #

i cant get to start menu when i try on safe mode get blue screen of death…. :{ any way around it i think it mentions something about a driver?? help!!!!

• Ajoe08 March 30, 2011 at 3:04 am #

maybe your computer memory have problem, try to clean your computer memory using pencil eraser or try to change new computer memory with same specification of your old memory.

4. rahul April 20, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

hi i did this, and then windows gave me a TEMP account – how do i get this back ti normal?

5. Palla Ramarao May 8, 2010 at 6:38 pm #

hi. I did save lot of restore points. But When I tried to do a system restore, all were gone. The system restore screen shows there are no restore points. What to do?

6. Minu June 8, 2010 at 10:22 pm #

hi.. i tried following the above steps but wen in the last step i choose the drive,, it says “windows has detected file system corruption on local disk(C).you must check the disk for errors before it cn be restored.” plzzz help

7. wguru July 12, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

If the tutorial sshots apply to only W7 and not W7 Pto and/or only to those not configured for Windows Classic view, the writer would have done well to disclose this.

Other than that, the article seems pretty good except for not mentioning that W7 ‘pro’ and/or ‘classic view’ users will find a pathway of…

Control PanelAll Control Panel ItemsAction Center

..and FYIO, accessing W7’s system restore and system recovery properties windows is via…

start>control panel>system>system protection

Best regards and happ-e-trails to all,

wguru

• JAYEGAAAA October 7, 2010 at 11:15 am #

JAYEGAAAAAAAAAAA

8. Mahesh Chandrasharma October 8, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

was of a great help ….. thnx (Y)

9. H?c ti?ng Anh Online November 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

great, thanks a lot!

10. Ranjitc47 January 7, 2011 at 12:16 am #

Is we can restore in normal mode or in safe mode only

11. Nobody January 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

leave to microsoft to upgrade the os and make you take 5 extra steps to do something it took you 2 in win xop

• Anonymous February 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

and probably for the next version it will be 10 steps and more resources. But windows 7 is really an improvement compared with Vista (BSD 5 times a day). Regarding WSS I don’t understand why people don’t just go with better and improved alternatives on the market, some even free. I am stuck with Rollback Rx for it’s robustness and speed and saved my ass several times in the past with just a couple of clicks

12. Shehan April 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

Its great. Now i know how to perform system restore.

13. Dan June 1, 2011 at 12:10 am #

Hello,
    Thanks for the advice.
    Anyway, I wanted the system to be restored as the way it was the day I bought my computer, but the restore points are from 2 months ago tops… and I bought the computer 1 year ago. Can I still have my lap top as if it were brand new?

14. Henrik_brixen October 27, 2011 at 1:30 am #

Hey I really want to take these steps, but my problem is that i can’t even open my computer in safe mode, what can I do? every time I try it lists all the drivers that has been loaded, then just stops and I have to restart the computer through the startup button.

15. Rajila Gulam January 13, 2012 at 5:41 am #

Am very much thank ful to u , …… thnks alot………