Google Chrome Is The Fastest Browser For Windows 7

Lifehacker have just ‘confirmed’ what I believed to be true, that Google Chrome is the fastest browser available for Windows 7.  Of course for every test there will be someone who’s says that the methodology was biased or incorrect, but I think Lifehacker made a good attempt at producing fair test results by testing  how long it takes for browsers to start up and load pages, and how much memory is eaten up, from a user’s perspective.  The tests were performed on a Lenovo ThinkPad T61p, with 2GB of RAM and a 2.0 GHz Centrino Duo processor running Windows 7 Home Premium.

The overall results were as follows:

Scores (out of 28 possible)

• Google Chrome 4.0.223.11: 23
  • Firefox 3.6 beta 1: 21
  • Google Chrome 2 (stable): 19
  • Firefox 3.5.4: 17
  • Safari 4.03: 17
  • Opera 10.01: 16
  • Internet Explorer 8.0.7600: 13

to see the full browser test results, click here.

, , , , , ,

17 Responses to Google Chrome Is The Fastest Browser For Windows 7

1. Josè Daniel November 9, 2009 at 9:48 am #

That’s funny because last time when I did a comparison among browsers, Safari turned out to be the winner, although I prefer Firefox, but I do notice how fast Chrome is when starting it up. :)

• Windows7full November 9, 2009 at 11:24 pm #

I use only Chrome! Since the first time I installed it I never went back to FireFox or IE! I think Google really did a good job with Chrome!

• Anonymous February 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

hey guys try LUNASCAPE-6 with GECKO engine its really faster than any other browser for surfing and opening net pages-google chrome is faster only for opening google search page—-rest of the time its far behind LUNASCAPE-6—–CHECK 10 TIMES AT LEAST AND U WILL COME 2 KNOW THE TRUTH———especially for slow connections of 40-250kb/s I strongly recommend LUNASCAPE-6 with GECKO engine———————————–hope u all will check and compare all the aspects!!!!!!!!

2. Michael Lankton November 9, 2009 at 10:18 am #

Anyone notice that these guys sort of copied my browser testing methodology from the Connected Internet Web Browser Shootout! ?

• Gggggggggg June 22, 2010 at 7:20 am #

no! idiot

• Michael Lankton June 22, 2010 at 8:24 am #

Ah, thanks to Gawker Media for sending someone over to confirm my suspicions.

3. chieftain20 November 9, 2009 at 10:53 am #

I don’t know about you or anything, but when ever I’ve tried to use Chrome, it just seems like it just isn’t that stable and doesn’t have as many features that Firefox seems to have.

And I’ve tried to use Chrome before, but I just can’t seem to get used to the interface. It all seems like that there isn’t anything there and its hard to get to the places that you are wanting to go.

4. Robert B November 9, 2009 at 1:03 pm #

I can confirm these results from my own experience, I use Google chrome as my main browser and it is by far the quickest at loading. Especially from a warm start, it’s also much faster than all the others from a cold start, as the above results also show. Firefox for me is unbelievably slow from a cold start, it does improve from a warm start and matches IE8, but IE8 beats it in cold starts.
    But google chrome wins by a mile, less than one second to open, IE8 and Firefox take 3 seconds on warm starts

5. Josè Daniel November 9, 2009 at 2:36 pm #

well done removing the insulting comment :)

• Everton Blair November 10, 2009 at 7:05 am #

you’d be amazed how many comments I have to remove daily :-(

I can accept people arguing but not when it gets offensive

6. Stephen November 9, 2009 at 3:06 pm #

Interesting that they chose Chrome’s fast 4.X beta and fast 2.X version but exclude the 3.X version that is (in fact) current. They also use a java test suite that doesn’t work with one of the browsers. I have tried the Chrome browser several times sinc eI do like alternatives, and because it supports jumplists in Windows 7. Yes, it is very fast upon install, but I have found that its real speed over extended use is very erratic and on some occasions after a cold boot it is slower than any of the other options. I have also found far too many websites that simply don’t work correctly with Chrome. Actually, the fact that Chrome loses track of favicons in its jumplists on a recuring basis is really annoying as well. Finally, the occasional tendency to allow pop-ups that all of the others block (one being on this site) is quite irritating. Personally, I have found that Safari has the best overall performance but when you factor in compatibility Firefox and IE8 move to the front. Like most things Google, I view Chrome as just a sloppy, half-finished effort being tossed to the general public.

Stephen

• Danny November 10, 2009 at 10:17 am #

have never had a popup from this site and I use Google Chrome all the time, both at work, on my laptop and my desktop.

I also struggle to find any site except from some aspects of the Microsoft site that hasn’t worked on Google Chrome, although admittedly some websites I have needed to refresh to get to display correctly.

• Everton Blair November 10, 2009 at 12:56 pm #

this site doesn’t run popups Stephen

7. Anonymous November 14, 2009 at 8:17 pm #

I really would like to know how tests can be made with Google Chrome and Windows 7 when I can not even install Google Chrome on Windows 7…Is there a fix for windows 7 to make Google Chrome installation possible without an error message??????

• Everton Blair November 15, 2009 at 5:32 am #

hmmm I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve installed Windows 7 over the last year and I’ve had NO problems installing Google Chrome – post in the forum your exact spec as something is wrong with your setup

8. myself January 10, 2011 at 1:39 am #

the only difference is chrome has a huge program associated with it to prefetch and unload .dlls faster. The actual web browser is slower, and it will decrease boot time as their bootup .exe is larger. It uses more ram both on startup and in general use, and it is not faster browsing for internet use. Which is why we use the internet (not to log on in .5 second vs 1.5 seconds after bootup). You could slap a bunch of ram at chrome to bring it up to full potential, but then cache settings can be changed manually in firefox as well. Firefox has always been the fastest browser, a few pipelining tweaks will make it a bit faster yet. Chrome is a nasty beast, with all types of .exe and bootup bulkiniess that just make a techie cringe.

• myself January 10, 2011 at 1:42 am #

here’s a way to look at it. Once your pc boots, chrome will open the actual page faster. But chrome makes bootup times longer. So its a wash.

Add the fact that firefox is much faster browser, and chrome doesn’t seem all that.