Because I have never lived in another country and Google searches do not turn up a lot on this topic, I wasn’t sure if Black Friday was an American holiday only. Nevetheless, whether you live in the States or not, there are great deals to be found on Black Friday.
While technically not an offical holiday, it is celebrated by people like it is one. For a little background, Black Friday is the term for the Friday following Thanksgiving Day. The term “Black Friday” was originally coined by taxi and bus drivers in Philadelphia, PA because of the increased traffic that the shopping holiday causes. Some sources have recently identified the term “Black” to mean that the stores are turning a profit.
All this background to say that if you have not already purchased a PC with Windows 7, Black Friday will be a great day to hit the stores early and find a new PC with 7 installed. I have yet to find a retailer that is planning to deliver the Windows 7 software for a discounted rate, but there are already retailers and websites releasing advertisements for heavily discounted Windows 7 machines. Even Apple is reportedly discounting items, so you know it’s gonna be a good day for discounts. Here are a few examples of some deals you can expect to find:
Dell online: www.dell.com/business/sale
- Dell Vostro 1710, $599: 4 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive; comes with Windows 7 Pro.
- HP Laptop, $299.98, Intel Celeron, 3GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive, Windows 7 Home.
- Dell desktop package, $499.98, AMD, 4GB RAM, 640 GB hard drive, Windows 7 home, 20 inch monitor.
- Acer netbook, $199.99: 1 GB Ram, 160 GB hard drive, Windows XP home.
- HP laptop, $299.99: Intel Celeron, 3 GB, 250 GB, Windows 7 Home.
- HP laptop, $499.99: Intel dual, 4 GB, 250 GB hard drive, Windows 7 Home.
- HP desktop package, $499.99: AMD quad core, 8 GB RAM, 640 GB hard drive, Windows 7 Home, 20″ monitor.
- Compaq Desktop, $229.99: AMD, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB hard drive, Windows 7 home.
- Toshiba laptop, $399.99: Intel Core duo, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive, Windows 7 Home.
- Sony laptop, $399: Intel Pentium dual core, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, Windows 7 Home.
- Apple Macbook, $999: Receive $150 Best Buy gift card, Intel Duo core, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive
- HP package, $499.97: desktop computer, AMD Quad Core processor, 8 GB RAM, 1 terrabyte Hard drive, Windows 7 Home, HP 20″ widescreen monitor; HP deskjet D1530 printer.
Keep in mind that sales are often region and store-based, so discounts and advertisements will vary depending on where you live, but the online discounts should be the same for all.
For those in other countries who may not celebrate Black Friday, there are plenty of sites like Newegg.com that have a Black Friday page specifically for sale items, which can be found here. So, whether you are looking to change-up PC’s or are shopping for a new PC for family or friends, Black Friday may help you make the Windows 7 switch and do it inexpensively. If you know of any great deals or websites significantly discounting Windows 7 machines, feel free to let readers know in the comments below.