Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death (BSOD): Fix Update

Update: The fix I posted earlier to the Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death caused by the latest Microsoft security update definitely works as I’ve had a few readers contact me to say thank you.  A reminder of the fix for the Windows 7 Black Screen of Death:

1. Restart your PC
  2. Logon and wait for the black screen to appear
  3. Make sure your PC should be able to connect to the internet (black screen does not appear to affect this)
  4. Press the CTRL, ALT and DEL keys simultaneously
  5. When prompted, Click Start Task Manager
  6. In Task Manager Click on the Application Tab
  7. Next Click New Task
  8. Now enter the command: ”C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe” “http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?GRAB=BLACKSCREENFIX”
  9. Note this command assumes that you are using internet explorer as your browser, if not substitute your browser path and file details for those of iexplore.exe or use the Browser option of Task manager to locate it.

10. Click OK and your browser should start up and begin the download process
  11. When prompted for the download Click run, the black screen fix program will download and run to automatically fix the issue.
  12. Now restart your PC and the black screen problem will hopefully be gone.

If the fix above for the windows 7 BSOD doesn’t work for you then you can get moreKSOD  Windows 7 Help here.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death (BSOD): Fix Update

1. Tony R. December 1, 2009 at 12:12 pm #

Is this site a scam, or what? The first two comments (by “forthmedia” and “EvertonBlair”) contain short URLs that simply reload this page.

• Everton Blair December 1, 2009 at 1:26 pm #

took me a while to work out what you were talking about! The section below labelled ‘reactions’ shows links to this post on other sites. the two links you refer to are from people linking to this post from twitter. Because the tweets include this link, then you end up back on this page!

2. MoronicBoy December 1, 2009 at 12:34 pm #

When a ‘company’ like Microsoft, with its billions, cannot make an operating system that is reliable it is because you must follow the money: they make a ton of money on repair, service and training. As P.T. Barnum said: ‘there’s a sucker born every minute!’ you freakin’ PC morons.

If your refrigerator gave you this much trouble keeping food cold you would get your money back and sue the manufacturer.

America has dumbed down the education of its masses that the masses can no longer discern between quality and trash. The ‘immediate gratification’ crowd is a headless mob lost in its own vomit.

• SSmith December 1, 2009 at 12:42 pm #

This Black screen is caused by a security issue in software that is incompatible with a security update offered by Microsoft. How is Microsoft to blame for third-party software not being written to account for things like security updates?

I guess i’d just wait until Apple decides to make a leap into the refrigerator market. The only problem then would be that they might charge me $29 to make some refrigerator upgrades that I can’t see, every year.

3. Anonymous December 1, 2009 at 12:35 pm #

4. BleedingEdge December 1, 2009 at 9:16 pm #

moronicboy’s ToDo List:
    1.) Take a breath
    2.) Date a girl
    3.) Move out of your parent’s house/basement
    4. Be happy that PC compettition pushes down the prices on Macs or you would be paying double the price (or more) for your Mac
    Do PCs suck? Sometimes. Get over it.

5. Anonymous January 20, 2010 at 6:05 pm #

I just got the black screen of death for windows 7 earlier today, first i thought i gotten a virus, but i guess it happened to many people already.

6. Lisa April 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm #

This did not work. I lost everything. Just thought I’d let you know.

7. Nate April 9, 2010 at 11:02 am #

What do you do if the Task Manager doesn’t show? This has happened to me twice now. Had to reinstall windows each time. Both times it has happened after a Windows Update. Only thing I know for sure is DON”T UPDATE. First time thought it was due to the “optional” video card update everyone says to not get. Second time went with the “Important” security updates. Even left out the Internet Explorer updates since I use Google Chrome.
    Same thing. Had to reinstall Windows. Can’t get Task Manager to come up. Try to boot in Safe Mode and gets to loading drivers then FREEZES.

If there is a do-gooder out there who wants to figure out some way to FIX the problem with keyboard hits alone, PLEASE tell us. Maybe that will help when this BLACK SCREEN of DEATH inevitably comes again.
    Also, if that person knows which UPDATES are SAFE, please list them. Might sacrifice my own time going through one by one then restarting to check each, but I’m lazy and stoney so that probably won’t happen. lol

So far my version of Windows Home Premium works fine with no Updates. Slow but stable!! Hopefully the large patch planned for next week will help this problem.

• Mustafa Mohamed April 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm #

In order to show up the task manager in Windows 7 (and Vista), hold: CTRL+ Shift + Esc. Maybe you’re using the old key combination (CTRL + ALT + Del) which displays the Windows Security screen. You can also try typing “taskmgr” in the start menu’s search bar and then pressing Enter.

As to regards to updates, updates are generally “safe” (unless you’re running a non-genuine copy of Windows 7). As a rule of thumb, always install the “Important” updates, because they’re usually security patches. Read the descriptions of updates rated as “Recommended” to get an idea and then decide whether they’re worth it or not. “Optional” can be skipped, although they might contain useful programs (e.g.: Windows Live Essentials).

Please use the forum where you can get plenty of help from other users as well: http://windows7news.com/forum/

8. Anonymous May 2, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

control + alt + supr. control + shift + esC, doesnt work!!!! task mananger is blocked

9. kc125 May 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm #

Would love a new idea to fix the black screen of death

10. Duartexas July 8, 2010 at 7:23 am #

The Black Screen on Windows 7 is related to the Display Adapters. To fix permanetly this error, go to Device Manager in Control Panel, then click on Display Adpaters to bring down your display adapter, and then unistall it. After unistall it will prompt for Restart. After restart it won’t show the black screen again but will load straight to your desktop, and then it will automatically install the display adapater driver again. After that it should work fine. It did the trick to me and after that no more black screens.

Give it a try.

• Gigi September 27, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

don’t work for me… sorry

11. Taimme July 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

dont ever try to download this fix!! i just ried it and it ruined my pc!!!
    now my monitor shows no lights at all!!!
    i would not try this fix if i were you..
    keep your pc the same way better than ruining it.

12. Akordell August 21, 2010 at 1:33 am #

yeah this didnt work for me either

13. gragon November 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

this works nothing, so it’s just a rubbish! waste of time for attempt

14. Kulapthip February 28, 2012 at 4:26 am #

Thank you for your llvoey themes. I’m using it now, and i hope you wouldn’t mind about the changes and customization I’ve made.Well, unfortunately, I’m having trouble with the Image on the post. If when adding an image, it automatically stretched. I don’t know how to get it right. One more thing. I use XAMPP to test it out, and no troubles. but again, when I upload it on the net, the problem came up again.thank you before wassalam