Many windows users are familiar with the Blue Screen Of Death, but now we appear to have a new BSOD or even KSOD. There are several reports that the latest Microsoft security updates released on November 25th, have caused problems for some Windows 7 users creating a ‘Black Screen Of Death’ where nothing happens on their PC apart from seeing a black desktop after logging on. Microsoft say they are investigating the Black Screen Of Death Issue:
“Microsoft is investigating reports that its latest release of security updates is resulting in system issues for some customers,” the software maker said in a statement. “Once we complete our investigation, we will provide detailed guidance on how to prevent or address these issues. “
The issue is also reported to be affecting other Microsoft OSs, including Vista and XP. British Security firm Prevx have published a fix for the BSOD / KSOD , although they state that it won’t work in all situations. According to Prevx, the root cause of the Black Screens of Death is a modification in the Windows Operating Systems lock down of registry keys with the November Microsoft update causing certain registry keys to be invalidated.
To fix the Black Screen of Death Windows 7 issue:
- Restart your PC
- Logon and wait for the black screen to appear
- Make sure your PC should be able to connect to the internet (black screen does not appear to affect this)
- Press the CTRL, ALT and DEL keys simultaneously
- When prompted, Click Start Task Manager
- In Task Manager Click on the Application Tab
- Next Click New Task
- Now enter the command: “C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe” “http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?GRAB=BLACKSCREENFIX”
Note this command assumes that you are using internet explorer as your browser, if not substitute your browser path and file details for those of iexplore.exe or use the Browser option of Task manager to locate it.
- Click OK and your browser should start up and begin the download process
- When prompted for the download Click run, the black screen fix program will download and run to automatically fix the issue.
- Now restart your PC and the black screen problem will hopefully be gone.
Have you been affected by the Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death? If the KSOD fix above doesn’t work for you then you can get more Windows 7 Help here.