Windows 7 Family Pack Supplies Running Low

Copies of the Windows 7 Family Pack, which includes three upgrade licenses for Windows 7 Home Premium, are becoming harder to find in the United States, both in retail stores and online. The offer, announced by Microsoft in July and offered for $150, was said to be “while supplies last,” but I don’t think anyone was expecting supplies to run so low so soon.

Microsoft issued a brief statement about the shortage of copies:

“The Windows 7 Family Pack was introduced as a limited time offer while supplies last in select geographies… Response has been very positive and in some cases, the offer has sold out. “

This is bad for consumers, especially as the holiday season approaches in the midst of the recession – late shoppers may find themselves out of luck if they attempt to purchase the Family Pack as a gift.

It’s also bad in a general sense, as it eliminates the most reasonably-priced Windows 7 upgrade from Microsoft’s product lineup. I know that business is business and you have to do what’s best for the bottom line, but this leaves the cheapest Windows 7 upgrade option sitting at $119 for an upgrade pack of Windows 7 Home Premium. OEM copies of the OS are slightly cheaper, sitting around $100, but that’s still twice as expensive as a Family Pack license and not technically legal for individuals, besides. All of a sudden, Windows 7 is a slightly harder sell – not something Microsoft needs.

Microsoft has said in the past that it might make the Family Pack a more permanent offering depending on consumer response, but they’ve said nothing to indicate that they plan on replenishing supplies. Tell us how you feel about this situation in the comments section!

, , , ,

11 Responses to Windows 7 Family Pack Supplies Running Low

1. r4i December 5, 2009 at 5:00 am #

Windows 7 is fabulous operating system.In this operating system all the errors are removed that comes in vista.We can also call that it’s upgraded and edited version of vista.But there are also some errors are come in this so there are

2. Carl December 5, 2009 at 6:06 am #

The Family Pack has been unavailable in my area since very shortly after the official release. A limited offer from Microsoft, OK; but a month and a half? Seems unfair given that multi-PC households are the norm rather than the exception.

• Bationi December 8, 2009 at 4:52 pm #

I think it is time for us all to consider moving to linux. Free OS and most of applications you need offered free or at much lower cost.
      Why do we stay with Microsoft when we do not need it?

3. Johnathan December 5, 2009 at 12:30 pm #

I Was lucky enough to find a copy online, they’ve sold out since. I feel Microsoft need’s to make this a permanent offer. I would also like to see a comparison between Over all Window 7 sales and the Family Pack sales, I’d bet the Family Pack makes up a good deal of the sales seeing as normally average PC users don’t buy Boxed Windows Upgrades as they get the new version when they get a new PC, usually only enthusiasts buy boxed Windows.

4. John Campbell December 5, 2009 at 5:11 pm #

Andrew, Microsoft has relented and now supplying Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack in Australia BUT in limited quantities. I bought mine in the US and had a friend send it to me. I like to think my post “So much for Product Loyalty” may have been partly instrumental in getting them to let us get the Family Pack here in Australia.

5. Undun December 6, 2009 at 8:37 am #

I think its just awful. If I had known the family pack was going to be sold out before Christmas I would have bought several copys. Now I don’t even have a copy at all. Oh Well.

6. Poor Windows User December 7, 2009 at 10:29 pm #

I don’t know where else to Go So I am here. I Tested Windows 7 Beta Test and RC1. I was Looking Forward to Buying the Windows 7 Family Pack release For 3 of My PC’s Only to Find Out that All The Retailers Have Been bought out. Now Looking on EBay I Find Out the Reason For That is That Sellers Nation wide on EBay Have apparently Went Out & Bought up all of the Family Pack Software they could get their Hands on and they are Now Reselling the Windows 7 Family Pack [3 License] For Premium Prices on eBay There By Preventing Normal Retail Customers access to your Windows 7 Family Pack Release for the Normal Retail Price. If this were Football Tickets It would be considered Scalping. I am sure this is Not What Microsoft Original Intent was in releasing the Windows 7 Family Pack Software for Their Loyal Windows Users to be exposed to. I along with Other loyal Windows Users Would appreciate it if Microsoft would correct this wrong doing by these Greedy Sellers by denying them the ability to sell the Windows 7 Family Pack software for more than the Release Price or Microsoft Should Release more Copies to their normal Resellers so that it would deny these Greedy Sellers the ability to Rip off Microsoft’s Loyal Customers.
    I have told many of my friends about the New Windows 7 Family Pack along with me who have also not been able to get the Windows 7 Family Pack Software and whom can’t afford to buy at this time at the Inflated eBay Seller Prices so they will only be able to buy a single License copy from a retailer for their most important machine.

Due to Current economic Times
    A poor Windows User.

7. abass December 16, 2009 at 11:17 am #

1. Often we forget the little guy, the SMB, in our discussions of the comings and goings of the Internet marketing industry. Sure there are times like this when a report surfaces talking about their issues and concerns but, for the most part, we like to talk about big brands and how they do the Internet marketing thing well or not so well.

8. Rob Webb December 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm #

This is very distasteful for a Windows 7 fan. I don’t think that Microsoft has a clue how BAD a PR move this is after the bomb that they set off called Vista. If they have any sense they will bring it back just like Coca Cola did after they tried to introduce the NEW COKE. Come on Microsoft, be the good guys for a change and bring back the Windows 7 Family Pack. It will definitely be “classic”!

• Anonymous December 25, 2009 at 8:43 pm #

Lets Go Microsoft, bring back the $150 Windows 7 Home Premium 3-pak offer. This will force all the greedy slugs that snatched them up and jacked the price to have to eat them!

9. DBryan January 13, 2010 at 3:36 pm #

Did my normal wait a little while to purchase next Windows Upgrade. Saw that there was a family pack offered and went in search for it. Well it is only in the hands of the scalpers going for around $278 on E-Bay, that is twice the retail price. Please re-release it so the working class families that have more than 1 computer can upgrade there students computers, A Very Disappointed Parent.