Windows 7 Codecs is a codec pack for Windows 7 that installs all the necessary components for all audio and video playback.
What is a codec?
A codec is a device or computer program capable of encoding and/or decoding a digital data stream or signal.
The term codec is short for compression/decompression; and thus a codec is an algorithm or special computer program that reduces the number of bytes consumed by large files. At the audio level, a codec stands for coder/decoder and it is a device used to convert analog signals to digital bit streams and vice versa so it is used to allow voice and video communication over digital networks.
What is the program supposed to do?
It will automatically remove other codec installs from your computer before installing it’s own codecs. After installing Win7codecs, Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center will automatically recognize all your media files as playable.
Download and Installation
Preparing To Install
Installation License Agreement and warning concerning existing codecs.
Run the application
- Select 1 of 9 options to config
- Xvid is a video codec library following the MPEG-4 standard. Xvid is a primary competitor of the DivX Pro Codec. Divx is proprietary whereas Xvid is open source and will run on any OS or platform.
- FFDshow is another media decoder/encoder used for the decoding of video in the MPEG-4 formats. It is free software released under the GPL license, and it is implemented as a DirectShow and VFW decoding filter.
- The DC-Bass Source Filter is a BASS based DirectShow Audio Decoder. BASS is an audio library for use in Windows and Mac OSX software. Its purpose is to provide developers with powerful, stream MOD music , MO3 music, and recording functions.
- madFLAC is a DirectShow decoder filter for FLAC files. FLAC is similar to MP3 where audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality.
- Splitters take a file, for example (Mp3 ,Wav ,WMA ,Ogg), and split it into smaller one.
- Haali Media Splitter is an MKV, MP4, and AVI container codec / splitter.
- VobSub is a tool that extracts subtitles from VOB files and to playback movie files with subtitles.
- AC3Filter is a free audio decoder and processor filter. It allows media players to playback movies with AC3 and DTS audio tracks.
- Misc Settings
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is a standard for video compression. It provides a powerful compression technology that delivers a superior video experience at a low bit rate.
- Ogg is professional-grade media format. Unlike MP3, Ogg Vorbis is not restricted by patents. Microsoft was sued for violating MP3 patent rights and had to pay $1.5. If you need a standalone media player, many different free software players work with Ogg.
- Download the Shark007 Win7 Codec here.
- Additional information about codec’s is here.