What Has Windows 7 Done For You?

Windows 7 has officially been out for 3 months to the public, while all of us here at Windows 7 News have had a bit longer than that to play around with Microsoft’s latest OS through the various Beta builds and RC’s, I’m sure many of you took advantage of the chance to try out the new OS for free as well. Many of you may still be running the RC1 version of Windows 7 right now.

Windows 7 has been praised for its speed, performance, and light footprint, its ability to bring older machines back to life and just be simple and easy to use in general. But what I really want to know is what you guys really think about Windows 7, at the end of the day it’s you and me, the general consumer who use Windows 7 the most and live with every day of our lives.

No amount of Microsoft’s testing, no matter how many boffins run complicated scripts and codes and how much market research Microsoft carry out, they will never be able to predict accurately what the general consumers reaction to a new product will be. There’s nothing better than a bit of hands on experience to really get a feel of a new OS and see how it performs in everyday life and day to day situations.

I know I’ve had enough time to play around with Windows 7, I’ve run Beta Builds, RC’s as well as the final RTM. I’ve tried it out on machines struggling to run Windows Vista and on power 64-bit computers which will effortlessly crunch numbers all day long , as well as performing numerous in place upgrades and clean installs. I have my own personal opinion of Windows 7,

But what I really want to know is, has Windows 7 changed the way you’ve used your PC at home and at work?

Do you boot up your computer with renewed energy, and bubble over with excitement as you watch the new Windows logo glow and pulsate. Are your friends jealous of how fast your desktop loads from a full boot and how impressive the sleep mode is? Has it changed how efficient you are at managing your workload and now you have time to go out and grab that extra coffee before your break?

Or is it the pain in your side that you have to use because you have no choice? Do you regret every performing that in place upgrade or buying a new PC with Windows 7 pre-installed? Do you wish that you could just go back to Windows Vista or even Windows XP and forget about all your problems and issues with Windows 7?

That’s what I want to know, has Windows 7 been a success with you guys, the people who use it every day.

Please be sure to let us know in the comments, express yourselves, give your own personal opinions and experiences, tell us what you think is missing and let the world know what you think of Windows 7, we won’t judge you for worse or for better.

, , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to What Has Windows 7 Done For You?

1. Alex January 25, 2010 at 5:53 pm #

Simple. I love it. It does everything I could ever want it to, and quick. Everything, that is, besides give me motiovation to get on with some college work…

2. Ann January 25, 2010 at 6:47 pm #

Since installing win7 I can no longer network with my winxp machine. I have tried every suggestion on the nets but to no avail.

Ann.

• Matt January 25, 2010 at 7:21 pm #

Ann – something i tried when attempting to solve this problem was to assign each computer a static IP adress – solved the problem for me – but idk you may have already tried this?

• Anonymous January 25, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

I made even worse: formatted xp box and installed win7 on it. Then added ipv6 and enabled homegroup :)
        I loved drivers support. Since first 7000 Beta – installed all my hardware in a snap (maybe except old HP DeskJet 830c – but it was easy). Caching is good, especially in games: save/get killed/load scenarios.

3. Gary Roberts January 25, 2010 at 8:13 pm #

I have installed Windows 7 beta and RC on my laptop and the purchased version on my Desktop. I am extremely happy with Windows 7 on my laptop and desktop. While it appears very similar to Vista it is light years ahead in performance and features. I love it.

4. Anonymous January 25, 2010 at 8:21 pm #

win7 is the best in terms of performance, simplicity and ease of use. i had 5 games installed om my machine and everything run smoothly. i also had 7 adobe apps installed and got no issues with them when running…
    i used win7 a lot for video and photo editing and gaming.

5. Greg January 25, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

Windows 7 is a fine addition to my newly built computer as well as
    my new notebook. There are a few minor complaints I have sent to
    MS but definitely not anything that would cause me to give up Win 7
    for XP.

6. SpiderDan January 25, 2010 at 11:23 pm #

I love the speed, reliability and pretty GUI. Win7 brought back my faith in MS and provoked interest in I.T. Will be studying at RMIT this year :)

7. Felix January 25, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

no, I haven’t used Windows 7 yet on my “personal” computers. I am still organising my files (since October last year) so I can enter Windows 7 in completely clean and tidy environment. I am still using Vista, 7 RC and XP in triple boot config. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to get rid of all of them and replace it with single Win7. I am holder of three valid Windows 7 licences since October – all of them unused.

My overall impression with windows 7 is that it is the best windows ever.
    What I do now is converting my video files to MP4 (finally Windows 7 supports it).

TBH, I nearly lost my faith in Microsoft with Vista (this is why I purposely buy and install XP to my computer which is pre-installed with Vista). My faith is restored.

8. Omoronovo January 26, 2010 at 12:12 am #

As someone who fixes computers in a corporate environment as part of his job description, I can’t wait for the time that Windows 7 is rolled out to the computers I maintain. We have plans of doing it around summer of 2010, and so far, the 20 or so computers we have installed Windows 7 on (non-production machines), are just so much faster and more effective than the others in the business still running XP.

I’m using windows 7 at home on all my computers, and after using it (since the pre-betas and the milestones in 2008), the differences between XP (which was never designed for hardware even half as good as it is today), and Vista (which although made with good intentions (its 64-bit compatibility was second to none in the windows family), was just riddled with problems), are just insane. Windows 7 has made my job easier by far, all of the routine “stuff” that has to be done to keep windows XP machines running properly just doesn’t become an issue anymore with Windows 7.

So yeah, I’m REALLY happy with how Windows 7 turned out.

9. Anonymous January 26, 2010 at 2:07 am #

Pros

Speed, now it takes less then 2 hours for me to setup all stuff back. on vista it took me probably all night.

Internet Games – I must be the only one miss them from xp?

Windows XP Mode – better then virtual PC

User Account is now less annoying.

Cons

Windows Media Center I dont really care but I like vista’s media center

Taskbar its OK but I rather have more options for my liking…Disable Thumbnail, Classic Right Click instead of jumplist. Thanks to RaMMicHaeL 7 Taskbar Tweaker, I can do that.

My Printer has to have my computer restart each time…no biggie. its time to get another printer anyways.

end of cons.

Anyways, other then that I installed so far 20 computers that had vista or its compatibles (XP to 7) but I usually set them all on never combine task bar since I got couple of calls wanted me to switch it back but they where happy when I set down and talk to them of how to change it.

I recommend everybody to take the full advantage of 64 bit OS…I never try 64 bit until I got 7 and never go back to 32 bit ever again.

10. Pierre January 26, 2010 at 4:24 am #

I ran Win XP for a very long time then I switched to Ubuntu 2 years ago. Then I switched back to Windows 7 64 about two months ago and what a dream. It was really a good suprise the first hours I tested it. Everything runs just smooth, drivers are working like a charm, the interface is fast and reliable. It’s simply a really good job and I love it!!

11. shle896 January 26, 2010 at 10:39 am #

Windows 7 has lowered my blood pressure! In the two or three years I used Vista, I never knew from one day to the next when something was going to crash, stop working, etc. I have NEVER been an angry person, but at one point in the middle of my Vista experience, absolutely none of my USB ports were working, so I couldn’t use my keyboard, wireless mouse or stereo speakers. This happened often and the only thing that seemed to fix the problem was to reinstall Windows, which I did probably three times. Well, on the fourth time this happened, I became so frustrated that I literally threw my laptop to the other side of the room, where it crashed into a wall, putting a whole in the drywall and shattering the screen.As far as I am concerned, Microsoft is solely responsible. How dare they release a piece of crap like Vista, when it is so obviously wasn’t ready.In spite of all this, I went ahead and stuck with Windows, but only because the release candidates of Windows 7 worked so well and because I had become addicted to Google Chrome by then and it wasn’t yet available for Mac.

I have to admit that I am VERY happy with Windows 7. I love the features and simplicity and most of all, the reliability. It will still take some more time, though, before Microsoft can repair the damage of their image in my mind. I like to think they learned something from the Vista debacle, but I’m sure I will always get a bit of a knot in my stomach every time they release a new OS.

12. Rayleeg January 26, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

I have been building and repairing computers for the past 19 years since retiring from teaching, so I have seen and used all of the Windows apps. Have been using Windows 7 now since the first beta came out and just love it. Have now installed it for all of my friends computers and they love it too. No more bsod, freeze-up, shutdowns and restarts. It Will install drivers for anything you plug into it. Have even installed it on a ten year old computer successfully. Window 7 is great, I love it.

13. Bill Hardy January 27, 2010 at 10:44 pm #

What it’s done for me? I just bought an iMac – 3 months of living with Windows 7 convinced me to leave – and I’ve been building my own systems since 3.1.1. I just decided that the glitches were simply not worth it – disappearing drivers, being told my dvd drive didn’t exist (after 6 weeks of using it) and the rest. Thank you, Microsoft!!!

14. Dixon Marshall February 4, 2010 at 10:29 am #

What has Windows 7 done for me? I sold my Mac laptop, because I found Windows 7 to be much more reliable and usable in the real world. I plugged in my 10 year old (and useless on the Mac) high-end HP printer, and Windows 7 downloaded and installed a driver for it instantly. Now I can use the $600 worth of ink cartridges I have on the shelf.

I can use graphics programs that had limited functionality on my Mac and would not run at all under OSX, such as Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD. These programs would regularly choke on the Mac running Parallels and Vista.

I like the interface of Windows 7 better than OSX, it runs faster on similar hardware, and Windows 7 just works for me. I no longer had any reason to run a machine with two different OS’s.

In a nutshell, Windows 7 has increased my productivity by an order of magnitude. Kudos, Microsoft, you got it exactly right this time!