There may be situations where your wireless router may go in for a repair, or if it needs to be replaced and you are unable to access your Internet connection. In such a scenario, you may want
to convert your computer into a Wi-Fi router. With Connectify, you can creat a software based Wi-Fi router. In this way you can share your Internet connection with laptops, netbooks, or even other Wi-Fi enabled mobile devices.
Once installed, Connectify will be found running in the Notification Tray next to the system clock. It might not be visible, because Windows 7 has cleaned up the Notification Tray to hide the icons that you don’t frequently use. If you click on the small white triangle it will show all of the icons, including the Connectify radio wave icon.
- Select the Internet connection you wish to share
- Choose a name for your new wireless network
- Choose a wireless password
- If the Mode box is visible, select “Access Point” if it is in the menu, otherwise, use “Ad Hoc”.
- Press the Start Hotspot Sharing button to turn on your wireless network
- Now, from your other devices, you can see your wireless network. Choose to join it, and enter the wireless password to connect.
You can access the the Connectify software here.