Office 2010 Beta Bigger Than Windows 7 Beta

Today Office 2010 finally went on sale for the general public and along with that Microsoft decided to release the download figures it had for its Beta test. According to their figures, the Office 2010 beta was even bigger than the Windows 7 beta. Office 2010 beta was downloaded over 9 million times since it’s launch in early November. By comparison, the Windows 7 Beta campaign was downloaded over 8 million times.

Much like Windows 7, the Office 2010 beta had a good reception, and I’m sure the guys from Redmond are hoping that this will translate into strong sales as just as Windows 7 did. But in an increasingly competitive market, I wonder can they be as successful as previous editions.

“Following the great response to the Office 2010 beta and the success of Windows 7, we predict this will be the biggest consumer release of Office, ever,”

Stephen Elop, president, Microsoft Business Division, said.

So I wonder if Office 2010 will be the raging success that Windows 7 was, and is. To date Microsoft have sold well in excess of 100 million copies of Windows 7 in the 6 months it’s been available.

Office 2010 is certainly one of Microsoft’s main products, and they are hoping that it will be a big earner for them. And so far, according to a survey carried out on Office 2010 testers, the outlook is bright. 75% of early adopters revealed that they would purchase Office 2010 once it became available and 90% of the Beta users revealed that Office 2010 was superior to its predecessor, Office 2007.

Have you grabbed your copy of Office 2010 yet? Will you?

Let us know in the comments

, , , , , ,

6 Responses to Office 2010 Beta Bigger Than Windows 7 Beta

1. Josh June 15, 2010 at 11:43 am #

I have used Office 2010 beta and I was amazed how much Microsoft have changed for the end user to help them become more productive. Love Microsoft Office!

2. chieftain20 June 15, 2010 at 12:15 pm #

Yeah, I love Office 2010. Just now I have to wait for me to come up with some money to buy it.

2010 beta bigger than W7 beta? Yes and no. Yes as more people downloaded it, and no with the bandwidth spent to download. :P
    Office 2010 ~600MB x 9 mil = ~5.1PB of data
    W7 ~3.5GB x 8 mil = ~28PB of data

I was one who download both several times too lol.

• Robert B June 15, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

Ha when you look at it from that side chieftain, then Windows 7 wins by a mile!

3. Omoronovo June 16, 2010 at 1:45 am #

This is what one would expect; Not everyone has the time, knowledge, or patience to test a whole new operating system on their machine (which for those not used to the process could easily take a day or more), but spending 15 minutes downloading an installer and running it is far easier.

Additionally, a lot of business users wouldn’t be upgrading to Windows 7 until far later (SP1-time scale), meaning they may not have felt it worthwhile to test it at the time – however, as most companies update Office and Windows at the same time, and the office beta started a lot later, its a fair assumption to think that they would like to test it in advance for compatibility with their files etc.

4. Campby35 June 16, 2010 at 5:16 am #

Good article Robert BUT still no joy on Preview option to check on a file in the OPen File dialog box! What do you think?

• Robert B June 16, 2010 at 10:30 am #

I haven’t got my own edition of Office 2010 RTM to test this out, I’m still running the Beta, but I think it’s ridiculous that Microsoft are bringing such an important piece of software to market without it functioning properly, I think a strongly worded email to Mr. Ballmer is in order