Some confidential Miicrosoft documents have been leaked online which give some clues as to what Windows 8 might include when it is released.
The information appears to have been presented at a Microsoft ‘Ecosystem Forum’ conference back in April. Details that I have managed to glean about Windows 8 from the documents include:
- Adding GPS support to Windows 8 netbooks and laptops via the system motherboard or WWAN module
- Further sensor improvements – HID, accelerometers, proximity sensors (cool – PC wakes up when you walk into the room!) etc
- Focus on the “big 3s”: Boot Time, Shut Down Time, Batter Life continuing where Windows 7 left off – “Experiences: Time to first email received, Time to home page, Time to calendar or media playback…Windows 8 PCs turn on fast, nearly instantly in some cases, and are ready to work without any long or unexpected delays. when customers want to check e-mail, sports scores, or play media they love to reach for their PCs because they can get to what they want quickly”
- Faster On from 0 Watts and Instant Sleep resume performance for mobile PCs
- Better restoration tools and ‘Connected Help and Support” – ‘Windows 8 can be restored to the factory default easily. when resetting a Windows 8 PC, all of the files, settings and even the applications are restored. End users have confidence in resetting their PC without having to call support
Thanks to Daniel for the documents.