Can Windows7 Run On a MacBook Pro

Recently there have been some posts about how well Windows 7 performs on a MacBook. The MacBook is an Apple brand of Macintosh notebook computers. It was introduced in May 2006,  and it replaced the 12″ PowerBook series and the  iBook  notebooks. It signaled  transition for Apple to Intel. Part of the MacBook family, the MacBook is aimed at the consumer and education markets.

Source: Apple

So How Does Windows 7 Perform?

First the installation is not difficult. Start with the Boot Camp Assistant that comes with with Mac OS X.

When the  installation is complete,  install the Boot Camp drivers from the Mac OS X installation disc. The drivers are needed for operating the special function keys, like for controlling screen brightness and keyboard backlighting.

The Mac OS X Snow Leopard installation disc comes with an set of updated Boot Camp drivers. You install these drivers in order to access your Mac OS files from Windows.  The opposite is also true, you will be  able to access Windows files from Mac OS X. This is very handy if you need to work with both Mac OS X and Windows.

There seems to be one problem with the installation. The battery life on the MacBook does not last as long as it normally does.  According to Apple, the MacBook Pro should offer nearly eight hours of battery life . However, when running Windows XP and Vista or Windows 7, this reduces the life to just an hour and a half. The battery cannot sustain its life, somehow it drains very fast, even when the screen brightness turned down. This may be due to the fact that the Windows drivers have not been optimized for the MacBook.

But other than that, the reports have been consistent, Windows 7 will perform well on a MacBook. This should make both camps happy.

26 Responses to Can Windows7 Run On a MacBook Pro

1. Anonymous August 4, 2010 at 6:13 pm #

Now why would I want to spend more money on a laptop that has less hardware than one costing almost half as much just to run Windows 7? Sorry, but I don’t see that being an option for me. Let the over-priced Macbook run OSX/SL and those that want to run the better OS, Windows 7, get a better laptop for less money and have a better over-all OS experience and hardware!

• Yellowoneman August 12, 2010 at 9:41 am #

Typical redundant PC idiot comment. If you consider viruses and spyware to be a ‘better overall OS experience’ then go to town :) I’ll take my virus & spyware-free, better built, better refined OS and better warranty anytime over your cheap plastic crap machine. Macs are more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Unless you’re a hardcore gamer or an uber-geek with a fetish for pimping out computers to the point where only hardcore gamers can take advantage of such over-excessive specs that no one else needs, there is *NOTHING* the average person can’t do on a Mac that you can on a PC.

How many people do you know who switch from Mac to PC vs. the other way around? More and more people are constantly paying for this ‘overpriced’ stuff you refer to and not seeming to regret it or complain that they paid too much! Apple must be doing something right! :)

• Anonymous August 12, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

I guess when someone like you is made of money and can spend a fortune on something that is basically less hardware than a comparable PC based laptop, sure, go ahead, spend more than you need for less hardware. That makes sense. Your so called PC to Mac switching isn’t happening like you make it sound, either. All Mac fanatics like you tend to over-play Apple and what they do. You like HYPE more than reality.

Notice how we hardly see any more Mac commercials? Why? Because Apple KNOWS the computer business is not something they will ever dominate, EVER. They make good gadgets, but the rest of the tech world is on to their products, and now we have a superior Smart-Phone over the iPhone, The Droid, and soon, the over-hyped POS iPad will have more competition that will be superior AND less expensive, as usual.

• Yellowoneman August 12, 2010 at 9:45 pm #

“I guess when someone like you is made of money and can spend a fortune on something that is basically less hardware than a comparable PC based laptop, sure, go ahead, spend more than you need for less hardware.”

I have no problem spending more to get overall quality instead of just specs, specs, specs that regular people don’t care about! (and viruses & spyware!)

“Notice how we hardly see any more Mac commercials? Why?”

Cause they’ve done their job already. Enough people know about Apple. They know they’ll never dominate the market, thanks to people like to to keep our market share down. :) Just the way we like it.

“Apple is for those who want to be posers, not real computer enthusiasts. Go play with your over-priced TOY and let the rest of us who like to use REAL computers on a REAL OS…..Windows 7! Thanks so much, and have a great day!”

Call us whatever you want. It doesn’t change the fact that our computers are better than yours for average people who don’t give a shit about techy “computer enthusiast” nerd crap – and have REAL lives. :)

Don’t bother replying cause I won’t read it. I’ve made my point and I know I’m right :)

• Anonymous August 12, 2010 at 10:00 pm #

Oh my God! You have opened my eyes, Brother! I have seen the errors of my ways and am now enlightened to what I should do! I am going to sell all of my PC equipment and, after a bank loan, get me a Mac. Thank you, thank you, thank you! How could I have been SO wrong before? It is truly amazing that someone like you hasn’t shown me the way before! Praise you, Brother! Amen!Pffffth….Give me a break……and it’s still YOU coming to a PC/Windows Site for whatever reason you need to do so. I, on-the-other-hand, never visit Apple sites because I have no need to. You must actually feel very inadequate with such a “superior” computer that you feel the need to get on this site. Wow. I’m sorry you are unhappy with your Apple, but you know, there is a simple fix for you. Sell it(to some other sucker), and get a real computer running a real OS, like Windows 7. It won’t hurt, trust me. In fact, you’ll come out of it with a better computer, better OS, AND, guess what!?!, MONEY in your bank account! Isn’t that cool?? Isn’t that neato?? Now run along little man…..go order yourself a PC on NewEgg!. And might I suggest getting Windows 7 Professional. Nice balance of power, speed, good looks, compatibility, and ease of use. And there are enough suckers out there on Ebay to buy that POS Apple you call a computer. Have a nice day!

• W7pro August 22, 2010 at 2:28 am #

Hi, I’m a little late replying to this, but I wanted to pop in to say thanks for the supportive comment for Windows 7 Professional. When choosing your system, it’s worth considering the additional choices, features, and price points available with a PC. Here is a link to Microsofts’ PC vs Mac page, in case you guys would like to take a look: http://bit.ly/947DLX. Thanks again, Andrea Hofer, Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team @Win7ProSB

• Jason Tymczyna September 17, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

You guys should admit your undying gay love for eachother and just get married or something.

• Patpoland2004 December 19, 2010 at 1:14 pm #

First of all this article wasnt comparing apples to oranges.. pun deff intended. I been a “PC fan” for 8 years, learned to build them and though i new it all. I also blindly started to hate Mac because my school had poorly set up macs that couldnt even handle netscape navigator.. now we are in 2010 and need to put kiddy myths aside. PC’s are great; if you know what you are buying, and that you take every step necessary to protect your investment it can last you a good 4-5 years before youll want to completely rebuild from scratch. People who are commenting on this page saying “Apple Sucks” from their dell/compaq/hp/acer/e machines ** I hope not e-machines** doesnt even have the right to speak on a topic such as this because in 2 years your shitty mo-bo is going to blow caps near the ram or ur heatsync is going to dead faill. Your Hard drives will clunk and your fans will rattle within the first hard shutdown/reset and windows will shit the bed because of the hardware failiures **key words here : windows will fail due to hardware failiure** ppl talkin shyt on their dell xps shitbook good luck with your balls if you actually put it on your lap and the design pffftttt hahahaha dont get me started. Hardware wise Apple is definatly way more on quality not quality. ** Quantity vs Quality define my PC running 64 bit win 7 quad core amd x4 with sata 2 hdd bells and wistles up the ass i built… doesnt compare to the actual performance on my macbook pro i bought for 3 grand.. this investment not only worth it but beyond my expectations with multi tuch that works for both windows and mac osx. The charger works and yeah i can actually be at work on a slow night and play my star craft 2 (high graphics) for more than 4 hours, probably more but never got the chance to test. Your dell xps cant fuckin last like 30 min off the charger so all in all apple fan boys need to stop sayin pc are garbage.. only 90% of the pc comunity is garbage there is that 10 % of nerds like me that know what they are doing etc. then there are mac fan boys that dont know shyt about computers in general that argue that macs are better because they are. Both the 90% and the mac fanboys can burn in hell; its all about what you do with your computer(s) not who its made by.

2. Robert August 5, 2010 at 6:23 am #

And what’s the honest point? Like maxpcfan said, if you just spent twice as money on a Mac than you would a PC, obviously you don’t want a PC, so why install one on your Mac?

• Yellowoneman August 12, 2010 at 9:46 am #

So we can feel your guys’ pain and remind ourselves every once in awhile that we made the right choice in paying more to avoid the headaches you people put up with :)
      Who cares if it’s not as powerful, the average computer user doesn’t CARE about the ridiculously high specs most PC diehards cream their pants for. Not all of us want to be able to simultaneously run several 3D games at once…or games at all for that matter.

• Anonymous August 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm #

“Made the right choice….” Now THAT made me laugh! Thanks for that! Sometimes you Apple Fanatics CAN show SOME humor. Not always, but sometimes. And your comment was funny as hell!

And with Windows 7, I HAVE HAD NO HEADACHES that you speak of. I’ve been running it for almost a year now, and not ONE SINGLE issue has cropped up, that you MacTards seem to rely on as your “excuse” as to why Windows sucks. Well, sorry, pal, but you couldn’t be more wrong, except you DID buy a Mac, and that was, by far, your worst mistake so far!

• Anonymous August 12, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

And you seem to have some need to be on a Windows Site. Why? If Windows sucks so bad, and PC’s are junk, why do you NEED or WANT to come on this site? I NEVER go on Mac sites. No need. They are a waste of my time, and it’s nothing but MacTards waxing sentimental about how their so called “computers” and “Operating System” is so much better than anything else. You obviously NEED to make some kind of point on here, but that’s OK, we all understand. You KNOW Windows 7 is better than OSX/SL, but you have to justify that enormous cost and stupidity for buying a Mac, so you come on here and post your dribble. HAHAHAHAHAHA!! What a loser!

• Yellowoneman August 12, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

I just love getting a rise out of PC douche-tards like you :)

Besides, most of you are just jealous cause you can’t afford Macs anyways which is why you always diss us.

• Anonymous August 12, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

Douche-Tards….HAHAHAHAHAHA! THAT is a good one! You think that one up all by yourself or did mommy help you?

• Fakeemail February 3, 2011 at 9:57 pm #

go kill yourself retard

3. rain August 5, 2010 at 9:01 am #

yes it can.. i have gone as far as snow leopard on dell e1505 laptop..

yes mac run on pc too… it is confirmed!!!

4. Jaryd October 10, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

I run Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro 17. I do it because I like the hardware spec of the MBP 17 (17 inch 1920×1200, i7, 3 kg weight, 256 SSD and good battery life) and can not get it on any other current PC laptop.

I personally prefer Windows 7 to OSX most of the time for work but run OSX to just potter around on the net.

Windows 7 and OSX are so similar with hardware / software nowadays the flame war above is so yesterday.

5. Shakes2524 October 27, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

Oh a mac vs pc trolling session? on the internet? UNHEARD OF.
    the fact of it is you ALL have it so so very very wrong.
    Simple:
    Macbook Pro – is an incredible piece of machinery that is worth every penny you pay for it.
    WHY? – because it’s a product that has been developed along the same line by one HUGE company (of whom develop the cooperating hardware and software under the same label) over many years to achieve a refined computer that meets all the criteria of appearance, functionality, ease of use, and speed that appeals to the majority.
    Why do PC’s not appeal to the majority? – Because the software (allbeit incredibly complex and premium quality) has been produced independantly of the hardware, resulting in conflict when comparing PC’s. Most computers running microsoft have hardware problems that stem from hardware/software compatability, but mostly just general PC build issues due to less development from smaller scale companies than apple.
    Why would one consider getting a PC? – for most people it comes down to brand loyalty and comfortability, Windows 7 has the advantage over Mac OSX in that it can do so much more than mac’s can in terms of flat baseline operating system functions (OS without any unecessary installed software) – functions that let you take full advantage of the capabilities of computers, allowing you almost infinite scope of possibilites. The only problem is most PC users (and pretty much every stubborn mac enthusiast) have no idea what they can do with thier Windows OS and how customizable they are, but the real problem is that most people just don’t care and are much more comfortable on an OS thats suits thier needs for a computer – which is fair enough, if they’re the one paying for it.
    But what about the price difference? – okay as an absolute solid FACT, PC’s are slightly (10-30%) cheaper than a mac of IDENTICLE spec. Not half the price. And considering that accompanying software (NON-OS) will be of very similar quality in comparison; that makes PC’s cheaper.
    But in my opinion the OVERALL quality of Mac hardware is mildly superior to PC’s due to its good balance and compatability of hardware, long battery life, look & feel of exterior, keyboard, virtually noise free fan (this was a major contributing factor to my purchase, as my PC is like a helicopter, and so was every other decent laptop PC i could find a review of).
    I am not biased at all; a computer is a tool to me, not a diety. I’m simply trying to point out that PC’s and Mac’s appeal to different people – it’s not which is best, it’s which is best for YOU.
    I am an art & design student, so theoretically i should be a Mac enthusiast, but i’m not. they look pretty, that’s all. I plan to install windows 7 on my new mac for home use, as using OSx would seem feeble and childish after many years of taking advantage of the range that windows has to offer. Of course i will boot OSx for school use it as it is much better to run design programs like photoshop.
    To conclude this rant, ‘VIRUSES, SPYWARE!’, one would have to be incredibly stupid to not download decent antivirus software. ‘HEADACHES!’ this only happens if you don’t take care of your PC or do something wrong, a drawback of the RANGE of windows is that you can mess it up yourself.

• YourBestFriend December 6, 2010 at 11:53 pm #

Genius, I wrote something to that extent and erased it because you wrote nearly the exact same things but better.
      I think it sums it up by saying:
      1. Mac is customized to the software, that’s why the battery sucks something epic on Windows 7
      2. You can do far more with a PC than a Mac inherently
      3. I don’t use Anti-Virus software (I do run Windows) because you only get viruses for being an idiot and clicking things you shouldn’t click
      4. I guarantee you Mac is not “looking” for the small section of the market share, don’t be an idiot and say “That’s the way we like it” because no, Steve Jobs does not
      5. Its BECAUSE you can do more with a PC that you also have the ability to fuck it up more, anyone who knows how to bypass Mac safeguards probably crashes their computer very often

I just thought I’d throw this in there but, if Macs are so safe why do you need to pay 300 dollars for a Time Capsule to constantly back up your data? Sounds like somebody is preparing for Armageddon and is worried their computer is gonna delete all of their stuff. Or you just have the same issues you claim all PC users have

6. WestCoastJ November 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm #

Hey, I’ve read most of the comments on here and I’ll just pass on what I know: I’ve been using a PC laptop that gives me a lot of headaches. Time is money for me and I’m making the switch to a Mac. Most larger tech companies in Silicon Valley (Google, Cisco, etc.) are having their employees make the switch. Why? One word: reliability. Having a reliable tool is important to me and I never thought I’d go Mac but I’m ready for a positive change.

7. Elfnoire November 22, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

Hello,
    I don’t care what you guys thinks about Mac or about PC because I very much like both.

I use Mac at home and love it :)
    I use PC laptop (My sony vaio) at work and love it :)

so,
    I can’t use a MacBook Pro at work because of following reasons,
    I am a programmer and do programming for windows environment, I need to test everything I do also in the windows environment.

I would very much like to use MacBook pro as a hardware but Windows 7 as the OS in order to be able to work and to enjoy both systems.

Any ideas about where to get a very good guide to install Windows 7 in to the MacBook Pro?

Thanks in advance

Joe

8. Tet Sheg February 3, 2011 at 2:03 am #

Just to add a twist to the Mac v PC argument that seems to have developed, I have to say I agree with the point that “Macs are for posers” as ALL the folk I know who have them for personal use drive Range Rovers and Porsche (that is genuine) and do not know how to use them. However I also know a few people who use them for business purposes (mostly media and graphics companies) and they swear by them and only have a PC for emergency use!
    The twist I wanted to add is if you want to spend a lot less money and have a virus free PC experience for internet use install Ubuntu (a user friendly Linux based OS) and keep your Windows for gaming.

9. Xecutable March 29, 2011 at 6:38 am #

The virus and spyware reason for sitting on MacOs is quite lame. I’ve never used an antivirus in my life and I have never been infected on any windows OS. Stop forcing people to like something.

The massive regular user doesn’t care what he can get infected with, he wants easiness and simplicity.

As for crashes… yeah this isnt 1998 and Windows 98SE so u’r point is invalid. Basically nothing from ur Mac arguments are valid.

However I would still get a MacBook Pro just because the hardware is made by the same vendor. I know lots of people that would get a Mac because of the hardware and then install Win.

It’s not the MacOs we r after…

10. Jason March 31, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

Xecutable…you nailed it. I bought my current MBP because I liked the hardware and design of it, not because of OSx. The other option was an HP with a similar design. I found this blog post because it has been close to year running on the MAC platform, and I just can’t get used to it. I am looking just to put Windows 7 64bit on the MAC hardware. I am handicapped on so many levels with the MAC, especially in a corporate environment (servers / exchange / workgroup calendars etc…). The list goes on and on, never mind the MANY software incompatibilities that I have faced. I can’t tell you how many times I have purchased software, only to realize…”oh yeah, I run a MAC now, and I have to be concerned about compatibility.” I think MAC would be fine for a home user, or someone running on one or two machines…but in a corporate environment, it SUCKS. And the “Genius” support people over at Apple haven’t been able to help either. They just keep blaming “everyone else”.

11. Johnmule December 1, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

Why would you dual boot a mac?
    1. You have software and programs that ooooooooh ooh oh only run on Windows doh I guess you knew that.  Oh by the way Lifetime A plus certified Dog!  I have two macs and guess what I get more calls to do repairs on winblows computers than I do any single mac!  Like I said Windows Freaking windows only the unemployed in KY needs windows cause KY UI servers won’t let you use mac osx on the servers even though it is a more secure OS and you have to monkey with it less! Game ! Set Match Booyah!

12. Johnmule December 1, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

Like I said power don’t mean nuthin if you can’t turn the dang thing in the corners