Microsoft Bend: Not Your Typical Text Editor

Before you write this new pet project by Microsoft off as just another boring text editor, take a look at the download page and screenshots below because this is not your typical text editor. Borrowing heavily from the Microsoft Zune Software interface, Bend is a text editor, but with the looks of a modern day polished piece of software. I have to give credit to Paul Thurott’s Windows Weekly podcast and the listener who found this neat piece of software.

Taken straight from Microsoft’s Bend website:

“Bend is a modern text editor. Bend takes off after the Zune client, but doesn’t constrain itself to it.Find on page borrows from Apple Safari. Tabs are Google Chrome inspired. This text editor aims to be elegant, clean and a pleasure to work in. It exploits XAML / WPF to render beautiful hardware accelerated text, each feature is carefully selected to balance performance and style.”

The prerequisites for using Bend are to have: .NET Framework 4.0, Windows Installer 3.1 and Windows 7. Although, their website claims it will work on Vista and XP SP3 as well.

Features include:

- Tabs

- Find on page

- Zoom Ctrl+Mouse wheel

- Syntax highlighting (Extensible and supports .asp/.boo/.bat/.coco/.cpp/.cs/.html/.java/.js/.php/.vb/.xml)

Here are a few screenshots taken from the Bend website:

Image Credit: bend.codeplex.com

Image Credit: bend.codeplex.com

I’m going to give Bend a complete work-through this weekend and write up a review once I’ve had a chance to really play with the software, but I figured this find was worth sharing for those looking to use a stylish text editor with unique features.

You can visit the Bend website here.

11 Responses to Microsoft Bend: Not Your Typical Text Editor

1. Omoronovo August 7, 2010 at 11:38 am #

It’s a nice idea, but it has considerable performance issues that will need to be worked out before I could recommend it to anyone. Having opened a 150KB .xml file, it also seems like word wrapping is not properly implemented, but at least the option is there so I guess this will be fixed before the app becomes “gold”.

Additionally, taking 4 seconds to move the cursor makes it difficult to work with, I’m surprised this kind of performance issue hasn’t already been brought up – since it’s already at version 0.94, I assume it’s been in development for some time.

2. Bender August 10, 2010 at 2:05 am #

This is great, I’d just like it if the Bend author realized tabs on top came from Opera, and the Find UI came from Firefox, who got the idea from Vim. It wasn’t Chrome or Safari in any of this.

3. Asdf August 19, 2010 at 10:16 pm #

Seems like the project got removed from CodePlex :(

4. Justin V. August 20, 2010 at 10:51 pm #

Why is everyone saying that this is a microsoft project? It isn’t microsoft bend. It’s Bend and it’s hosted on Codplex, that does not mean that it’s made by microsoft.

5. Per Esmann Jensen August 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

People are saying it is from Microsoft because that is actually the case – at least according to Paul Thurrott on Windows Weekly: http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Windows_Weekly_168

6. ddcruver August 24, 2010 at 8:02 am #

Could someone that did download this provide us a copy of it? Would really like to check this out. Surprisingly I really like using the Zune Software and would like to see if that interface works for a text editor as well. Wish that Microsoft would open this project up again even if it is in alpha.

• Thepunkrockpirate August 24, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

i d/l’ed a copy a week or so ago before they pulled it… lemme know where you want me to send it… i use it for html an i like it alot.

• uh-oh August 31, 2010 at 9:34 pm #

can you upload it to megaupload, rapidshare, 4chared, or any of your choice? thank!

• Thibeact November 25, 2010 at 8:45 am #

same here, send me a copy or a link

7. Red5 C9 September 2, 2010 at 9:29 am #

i’d love to get my hands on that install too..

8. Grawl January 17, 2011 at 8:11 am #

I think it’s someone who needs it