Windows 7 Service Pack 1 RTM Leaked, Available For Download

There is still some uncertainty about the alleged Windows 7 Service Pack 1 RTM build considering that Microsoft has not yet officially confirmed the final build string. Even if that is so, the service pack version that several sources claim to be the Windows 7 SP1 RTM release has leaked to the Internet.

The release is available on various torrent websites but also on respected download portals such as Softpedia. Softpedia for instance offers download links for both the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of the service pack. The downloads are hosted on the Softpedia server which means that they have been thoroughly checked for malicious code.

The build number is 7601.17514.101119-1850, the downloads have a size of 538 Megabytes (Windows 7 SP1 32-bit) and 903 Megabytes (Windows 7 SP1 64-bit).

The Windows 7 Service Pack 1 will introduce a few new features to the operating system, namely:

Additional support for communication with third-party federation services
Improved HDMI audio device performance
Corrected behavior when printing mixed-orientation XPS documents
Enhanced support for additional identities in RRAS and IPsec
Support for Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)
Change to behavior of “Restore previous folders at logon” functionality

This indicates that it is reasonable for the majority of users to wait until the service pack is officially released by Microsoft. Only users who need the additional functionality and users who want to test it may benefit from downloading and installing the leaked version directly.

The service pack can only be installed on Windows 7 systems that do not have another version of the service pack installed. Users need to uninstall beta and release candidates of the service pack before they can install the RTM release. The service pack can also only be installed on RTM versions of Windows 7.

What’s your take on the leak? Will you download and install it, or wait until the official release announcement is made by Microsoft?

, , , ,

15 Responses to Windows 7 Service Pack 1 RTM Leaked, Available For Download

1. Darren Walsh January 15, 2011 at 11:28 am #

i downloaded it and installed it, it seems like it’s the final as there’s no watermark, the only thing is there is no language packs on win7 ultimate as they’re not yet supported. otherwise it’s grand!

2. Kpreston200 January 15, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

I don’t think I ever want to install a service pack unless they fix all the little retarded quirks like folder setting, dropping windows or files from my mouse as I drag them and all kinds of other glitches. Honestly, I have been playing with Ubuntu lately and I’ll say that I may just migrate that route seeing as I can run a lot of windows programs through wine, even the old ones. As well, I don’t have to go through a pile of crap like a Hacintosh if I want OSX.

Honestly, when I look at the scheme of things…Windows just isn’t as important as it was 10 years ago and Apple had better corner the phone market because OSX as good as it is, is not universal on IBM compatables. If it were they would be competition.

Windows was important in the day but things are changed, that’s why Micro$$ protested and schemed to have Linux taken out of the markets because they knew this day would come when they are no longer important.

• Tomy January 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

take your crazy elsewhere.

• Darren Walsh January 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

i know, he’s a bit mad alright, someone needs a girlfriend me thinks lol

• Paul January 24, 2011 at 10:00 am #

@Tomy and @Darren Walsh. I don’t know whether either of you have tried Ubuntu (or any other of the Linux distributions out there) and are speaking from experience or not, but speaking from my own experience, Ubuntu is far superior to Windows and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who was considering using it instead of Windows. I installed it recently and have not looked back. It is lighting fast and simple to use.

• Rupert January 24, 2011 at 11:40 am #

Having been in the industry since 84 and having tried all operating systems I can say in all honesty, Ubuntu is not ready. It is very good, and has come a long way in the last few years, but it is not quite there yet. Point in case; I tried to install a small piece of software (same on Windows and Ubuntu), Windows installed without a hitch. Ubuntu failed and then pointed me to some instruction that had me typing line after line of commands into the terminal… your average computer will not be able to work this way. Anything that needs that amount of technical knowledge just to install something is not ready for mainstream usage.

• AgMcGee February 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

In the industry since 84? If it’s true, it just means you’re a know-nothing middleman. Nothing you say strikes technological authority, just run of the mill shill work.

3. Mr T. January 16, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

I downloaded the 34 bit version and it does seem to have made a small difference in performance. Although, I am certainly not an “Expert”, it was quite a download and does seem to have slightly improved/refershed things. I’d say to download and install it

• Guest_harry_1 January 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

My god! 34 bits!

• None January 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

Think there was an offer on where you got two free if you downloaded it early!

• realass January 19, 2011 at 5:13 am #

Idiots! Do you never miss when you’re typing?

• 34Bit ;0) January 23, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

Get a sense of humour Dumbass!! Geez ;)

4. Captain Modest January 27, 2011 at 4:28 am #

I DOWNLOADED AND OMG VIRUS!!1111 one one 1111!!!!

5. Siortuth January 31, 2011 at 2:26 am #

I’ve got it installed and SP1 RTM is working very well.
    On the same machine I’ve got Ubuntu as well. I prefer Windows 7 because my machine can handle it and i can afford it. I’d rather not mess with ubuntu, when Windows works fine, even though I can and do, I prefer not to.

It all comes down to user preference. If you want to go the ubuntu route, good for you, I applaude you, but not everyone cares to go that route, So i am glad Microsoft is still around making their updates to their never finished operating system.

6. A Pico February 10, 2011 at 6:55 am #

Ubuntu crap (total crap, from a very experienced user) also here, on a Windows site?
    I have (more than) enough of Ubuntu fanboys.