What You Need To Know Upgrading To Windows 7 SP1

The very first service pack for Windows 7 will be available to the public starting from February 22nd as confirmed by Microsoft just over a week ago. It’s already been delivered to OEM partners and to subscribers of the MSDN or Technet service as of February 16th.

Is there anything that the average PC user will have to do to get the service pack? Not really, it’s a fairly straightforward process for most. Microsoft will be making it available from the Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center. Microsoft recommend that single PC and home PC Users should be using Windows Update instead of the standalone installer from the Microsoft Download Center. Mainly because it’s much easier to do with very little input from the user, but also because of the disk space requirements.

The disk space requirements vary dramatically. Users who update the operating system via the recommened Windows Update method need 750 Megabytes for 32-bit systems and 1050 Megabytes for 64-bit systems. However a stand alone installation by downloading the service pack via Microsoft’s Download Center, requires 4.1 Gigabytes of memory for 32-bit systems and a whooping 7.4 Gigabytes for a 64-bit system. So do what’s recommended and update via the Windows Update method.

Only admins who are working with multiple computers may consider download the service pack from the Download Center for distribution purposes.

There are a couple of things that should be done prior to updating to SP1

• Just do a quick scan to make sure your free from malware and viruses
  • Microsoft recommend turning off your antivirus temporarily as it may interfere with the installation
  • Make sure your drivers are up to date
  • Be sure to have a constant power source, plug in your laptop or netbook to it’s charger
  • Make sure you have enough free disk space
  • Back up any important data in the unlikely case something goes wrong

And finally for those of you who don’t want to upgrade to the first service pack just yet, you can download the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Blocker Tool from Microsoft. The toolkit blocks the installation of the service pack for 12 months.

, , , , ,

13 Responses to What You Need To Know Upgrading To Windows 7 SP1

1. Jannie Kirsten February 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

…OK, so there will be no major new features, no GUI enhancements, no performance improvements at all yet it’s over a gig to download (x64) and install…shocking as hell…an ubuntu update usually ends up being about 100-200mb or a full 500mb for a completely new OS…and it’s more secure…and then you have to do backups, updates, turn off some software and all that…I thought they said there’s “very little input from the user” required…I’m really getting really bored with windows really quickly…at least I am aware of the alternatives…and familiar with them as well…that puts me at an advantage…as soon as the paw-paw hits the fan, I’m switching over…unless windows 8 is some revolutionary new and completely overhauled OS…which it won’t be, because then MS have to struggle with compatibility issues and loss of customers…well, I think that’s going to happen in any case…so good luck MS…

• Anonymous February 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

I guess you should deploy Ubuntu since a Win7 upgrade is beyond your abilities. Ubuntu will not bore you. Format C: install a free Linux distro. Win8 will probably be mostly in the “Cloud”, so updates will not be an issue.
      Get on with your life and be happy.

• CaptainFS February 20, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

Instead of typing all those periods you should read more articles.

• Anonymous February 21, 2011 at 9:12 am #

so you know what ubuntu is? then you claim you know the alternate? if that alternate is Mac then you are a very good troll. But if you mean linux, then amen to you.

• Jannie Kirsten February 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

…you people bore me…I can type as many ellipses as I like…there are many alternatives to windows…just as there are many alternatives to ubuntu…I can update to SP1…in fact, I just have…it’s just silly that people are mindless enough to just accept the fact that unnecessarily huge updates are needed or even the norm…they’re not…only with windows will you find that so…wake up, people…didn’t you see the news about the uprisings in the middle-east? People are beginning to realise that they don’t have to be forced into doing ridiculous things…apple is even worse with their tight control…don’t get me wrong, their products scream efficiency, style and simplicity, but their business model screams dictatorship, monarchy and absolute control…such models might work, but they seldom last for long…

2. Swyost February 20, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

I don’t know where people are getting these numbers but the stand alone installer is already available to Technet subscribers. The combined x86/x64 installer is less than 2 gb. Check your sources because someone obviously added an extra zero to the file sizes. If one has more than one machine and doesn’t want their bandwidth tied up again and again, the stand alone installer is certainly the more logical route and is not anywhere near the size you suggest.

Stephen

• Matt February 20, 2011 at 11:18 pm #

Lol.

3. Swyost February 20, 2011 at 11:59 pm #

BTW, for additional clarifications:

1) The Technet stand alone installer is comprised of the x86 SP 1 cab, two X64 SP 1 cabs, and a simple setup.exe that just executes the appropriate cab(s). Windows Update will download the same cabs, and Microsoft Download should do the same.

2) Rolled versions of Windows 7 that include SP1 are also already up on Technet. The difference in size of each iso is minimal when compared to the original Windows 7 releases.

3) The installation after download took about 45 minutes on a pretty standard two-year old HP Core2Duo x64 laptop. It took nearly 90 minutes on a little netbook but that should come as no surprise.

3) The word is whopping, not whooping. Whopping is a size descriptor whereas whooping is a sound.

Stephen

4. Go-MO February 21, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

Who wrote this article…a fourth grader? It is full of grammar and spelling mistakes. Pathetic from a so-called journalist.

5. Malcolm1tc February 23, 2011 at 5:21 am #

Why has no update occurred on my comp – or am I missing something here?

6. Mck February 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

Ok, I am excited, but also scared. I have Norton 360 version 4 installed on my PC, and I am about to install Norton 360 version 5. If I install that SP! for windows, will I run into problems?

7. Malcolm1tc February 24, 2011 at 5:45 am #

Still cannot get Service Pack 1! I believe the problem is my Windows Updates want me to install an update for Amyuni Document Converter 400 released in May 2010 which I have done successfully several times …can anyone help?

8. best dedicated hosting April 1, 2011 at 4:27 am #

interesting article thank you for sharing