PC vs. Mac: Do the Math

Microsoft is trying to sway potential new Mac buyers from jumping on board the Apple train with their new website “Do the math.” Microsoft famously launched a TV campaign a few years back where they had users go into local stores and compare the prices of PC’s versus Macs with generally the same specs. Their point was to show that for less money, you can get a fully stocked PC.

Well, the campaign is back in some form with the new website launched in Canada which pits the Mac against similar PC’s and lets you decide which is worth the funds. You can choose from a few different Macs: MacBook 13, MacBook Air 11, MacBook Air 13, MacBook pro 13, MacBook Pro 15, MacBook Pro 17, iMac 25.1 or iMac 27 and see how similar Windows 7-based computers from other manufacturers stack up in specifications and price.

grey PC vs. Mac: Do the Math

Have you done the math? Do you think the flexibility offered by a Windows PC is a trade-off for the tight cohesive experience that Apple wants users to experience. I’m a PC because I prefer Windows 7 and I’m into building my own PC’s, but I’d like to hear what you guys think in the comments. You can head on over to the website to check the differences when compared by visiting Do the Math here.

Source: Winrumors

, ,

25 Responses to PC vs. Mac: Do the Math

1. Anonymous May 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

I’ve always done the math and can’t figure out why people pay more for a Mac. Also since there are many different vendors for PC parts, swapping out components is easier and cheaper.

• Brandon Benyacar May 5, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

Ive figured it out. At least with the people I know, and very few of them are tech savvy, they all say the reason they like macs are almost solely because of “their looks” and I’m not talking interface, Im talking the plastic and metal casing the computers come in. LOL

• Daniel Dudek May 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

Actually, lets face it, some of us work hard enough to afford Mac and a Hawaii :)

• Daniel Dudek May 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

Get a Mac, and come back here then.

• Brandon Benyacar May 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

and why do you assume I haven’t had a mac? I switched back to Windows because I liked it better. To each their own. And if I hadn’t had a mac, I wouldn’t spend that kinda money on a computer when im so close to buying the Rickenbacker guitar I want :D

• Dannysapples May 5, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

because there is no way anyone would “switched back” (company laptop you had to give back maybe? ;)

• Brandon Benyacar May 5, 2011 at 6:58 pm #

sorry no, I’m only 18 I dont work for a company. However, I do make my own decisions, and decided to buy a wonderful 17 desktop to do all my video, and audio editing, with some casual gaming capabilities (Crysis, Spore, need for speed, etc). I actually liked the mac a lot, but it made homework a PITA, and adobe audition wasn’t made for mac (until just now with adobe cs5.5) Plus I prefer desktops :P

2. Deep Sukhwani May 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

Get a Mac Guys…. Then let us know what you think of it, and then revisit the Do The Math site, I am sure YOU would not regret whatsoever having purchased a MAC

• Jason May 5, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

I’ve got a Mac and two PC’s. My Mac is a cute little toy I mess around with every now and then, but I honestly prefer Windows 7 to MacOSX.

• The Truth! May 11, 2011 at 6:13 am #

Get a real computer and then come back here and say that.

People who often purchase or use macs often have a low IQ, have NFI what to do with money and fall for lame marketing tactics and falsehoods (Here’s pointing @ you ‘Get a mac’ advertising campaign)

3. Anonymous May 5, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

I’ve had both my iMac and MacBook Pro for over 2 years and they have not given me any headaches both in software and hardware. The same period with my previous PCs I had to replace the GPU, HD, dead RAM, not to mention all the crap Windows gave me…

And these stupid little things Microsoft seem to keep on doing are useless. Windows Desktop Market share is declining, has been for quite some time, how can they justify the money spent?…

• Brandon Benyacar May 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm #

dont matter if microsoft is losing market share, in fact its a good thing, but it still has a huge lead over other companies in terms of market.
      and yeah windows pc’s do come with a lot of crap, if you buy a bundled kit like dell or gateway, but thats for people who dont know what they’re doing. If you custom build your computer, less time upgrading, no extra crap within the os, and no headaches.
      by the way, pc’s and mac both use VERY similar hardware components, so hardware failure is not limited to pc’s. In fact, I’ve had apple products die on me before. A macbook with leopard 10.5.2, and an ipod nano.
      not saying one is better than the other. just saying, they both do the same thing, only difference is the software, and the look of the casing they come in, and to try to change someone elses opinion on a certain computer is about as useless as banging your head into the ground in an attempt to change the earth’s orbit. Thank you, you’ve been wonderful, see you next time! :D

• iMatt91 May 6, 2011 at 12:03 am #

Preference. It’s usually the looks of the computers and the GUI that gets people to buy one though.

Since you love hardware so much I demand you to show me a better trackpad on a laptop than the MacBooks. It’s the most used things on a notebook and no one else can get it right as far as I’ve used.
        Screen quality is better.
        Batteries are better (mostly due to the software)
        Unibody is genius.

Have to admit they fit a fair amount of power into those thin iMacs.

• The Truth! May 11, 2011 at 6:27 am #

Maybe your PCs kept failing cause you’re a complete retard and like selling fibs like the rest of the uninformed dumb apple sheep?

Oh wait, the holy cause of Steve Jobs was why you came here, to some how try to convert well-informed computer users that they’d be better off with a mac?

Why should we move to your POS platform if we are fine with our platform?

Again, only retards get viruses, brake their components etc.

Believe it or not, Macs are not immune to hardware failure either (or software issues either for that matter too).

-Nvidia GPU issues in macs
      -Yellow tinted IPS panels
      -iPhone 4 ‘You’re holding it wrong’
      -Guest account deletes main user’s data
      -Not patching known security flaws for a long time of which then -get demonstrated at hacking conventions (IE: Pwn2Own)

Heck, your crowd only just begun to understand that ALL COMPUTERS INCLUDING MACS need some form of AV – Sophos felt sorry for you guys who lived in the ‘supposed’ land of no malware and gave you a free AV.

There’s also the fact that even though you finally got games, you guys are still so far behind when it comes to how they perform in comparison to a PC, especially ones of same/similar spec.

Using laptop components inside a desktop PC for the most part is somewhat pathetic too. What I find even more dumb and pathetic is that up until not long ago, there were variants of Macs that came with a GPU that was limited to either 256/512mb of vram.

Having that much vram in games today might explain why a lot of your user base can barely play a game, or play it on lower detail.

Get a PC – that way you don’t run half your apps in a virtual machine while trying to learn how to use a crappy OS such as OS X.

• Anonymous May 11, 2011 at 6:54 am #

I’m not uninformed. I like Apple hardware and software. I know what I like and don’t like.

Steve Jobs is a damn good visionary. He runs his company like every company should.

If you are happy, be happy. Don’t try and bring me down with insults.

A/Vs on Macs? At the moment it’s more of a peace of mind thing. Sophos gave us a free one because they know thy won’t make a lot of money off it.

Apple aren’t perfect. I never said that. But guess what, Microsoft aren’t either.

Casual games suit me fine. Portal 2 is awesome though at least we can agree on that

I don’t run any of my software on Windows. There is a Mac version or equivalent for everything I need.

• The Truth! May 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm #

Really? When my aunt got a mac, she quickly ran back to windows and even when she used OSX she would always be using a Virtual Machine for the majority of time to run applications she actually needed to run. She uses Bootcamp to boot into windows nearly everyday now.

Its your crowd lying to people that we have a problem with. Lets face it – Your crowd would rather milk money out of people by being very dishonest.

And you last point isn’t exactly true – what do you do for example when there is no equivalent? Your mac alternatives of the same application usually lag behind their release schedule on PC.

Steve Jobs will make the stupidest or arguments if history is anything to go by. Was it not Steve that thought the MS were stealing the GUI? (in the ‘look and feel’ case). Even after he left apple before his ‘second coming’ in 1997, Apple tried to sue and had the lawsuit thrown out.

And yet, here we are again, years and years later, and apple are trying to sue Samsung over very similar reasons. Its just proof that Apple is anti-competitive, they hate competitors raining on their supposed parade.

But hey, if you hate the competition, there’s a solution – Live with it. Don’t go crying to judges and making uninformed lawsuits… Apple should of learned from the ‘look and feel’ case, but they obviously haven’t learnt a thing, even though the board members have all changed since then bar a couple of people. Some companies are yet to learn that playing monopoly by yourself in your bedroom with no one else is lame because you don’t get anywhere and the Monopoly man will most likely die of a heart attack or get run over by the car being controlled by the same person.

A username like iMatt is just asking for insults… You might as well just call yourself iDiot, that also begins with an i does it not?

4. Aaa May 5, 2011 at 6:43 pm #

Macbooks have
    wayyyyy better screens than any other windows laptop the screens are very color
    accurate and no other laptop even comes close to them, other laptops screens
    are a joke. They have better construction and build quality because of the
    unibody construction and aluminum casing which is light years ahead of the
    plastic crap that 90% of windows pcs come in sure there is the Hp envy but it
    still isn’t as good as macbook since it’s not unibody, they have better battery
    life, heck the quad core macbook comes with around 7 hours of battery life I personally
    would like to see someone show me a pc with quadcore i7 that can last even 4
    hours on a charge while not weighing more than 5.6 pounds, that is quite an
    achievement, I didn’t mention the stability of osx neither this is just from a
    hardware perspective and in my opinion the screen, battery life, construction definitely
    justify the extra money you pay for macs.

• Brandon Benyacar May 5, 2011 at 7:04 pm #

well laptops are in their own category, but I do remember a few years back seeing an Asus gaming laptop with a screen size of 19 inches, ad a 1920×1200 resolution that was just gorgeous. As for colour accuracy, yes macs do have very accurate screens, but not if you compare them to the new 32 bit colour monitors coming out. google it, check it out, its pretty amazing.
      As I said, macs aren’t better, they’re just for a different audience. end of conversation. ((°J°))<—John Lennon (just thought it was cool :P)

5. BJ McGeever May 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm #

Your comparison is a little off. To get that laptop up to specs with the MBP, you have to up the default processor, graphics card and battery. This gets it up to $1500. One thing that is often left out is the trackpad as well. I’ve used a number of HP trackpads and they don’t compare at all to the multi-touch Apple trackpad.

• The Truth! May 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm #

Macs usually come with crappier hardware for more $$$ in terms of CPU, GPU and Ram compared to what is available on the pc side (Not to mention the $$$ apple love to charge you if you want more ram, it much cheaper to DIY or go to a third-party company)

The reason they still sell GPUs with 512mb of ram in some older macs today is simple – because they are horse crap and not capable of much. Some are just unique SKUs to apple that get crippled more then they already were before.

6. Trey May 6, 2011 at 7:45 am #

“Do the Math” does not account for the resell value of a Mac. Last year I bought a $1400 macbook got a $100 teacher discount. Kept it for 1 year sold it on Craigs List for $1100 dollars. Total cost to me was $200 for a year; can’t do that with a PC.

I bought another Macbook pro. Now I am looking for a used mac mini and I am having problems finding a Intel one with a reasonable price.

7. M4he May 6, 2011 at 11:28 am #

I will try to keep it short:
    I’ve been using Windows PCs and Laptops for almost 10 years (starting with Win 98 and ending with 7). I used to enjoy my time with them and was already quite a Microsoft fanboy at this time.
    When I started studying computer science at university I bought a MacBook Pro. For me its purpose isn’t to be a lifestyle object (like for many others); for me it’s a working tool. Here are some things I like about it:
    - no clutter, fast and responsive system without unnecessary features/software- working on it is much more easy, reliable and fun than on Windows- needing many tools for programming a unix based system suits me better- high stability and reliability which are uncomparable with Windows- software is matched 1:1 with the hardware -> the system just works anytime like you expect it to
    But I also see decreasing quality in both the OS and the devices of Apple because they’re heading towards the mass market now, already beginning to port things from the iOS to the Mac, harming the professional look & feel of Mac OS.
    But as long as Macintosh keeps being a reliable and professional OS I’m going to stick with it.

• M4he May 6, 2011 at 11:35 am #

I’m sorry for the clutter. Seems like the bullet points were messed up…

8. ~user89 May 7, 2011 at 10:07 am #

Your name iMatt already suggest your are an apple fanboy and PC hater….iPhone, iPhoto, iSteve, iCrap. I just dislike this whole I..thing and that people follow this because of the trends. Oh I saw Jimmy Fellon had a laptop with big apple logo…i must have it too. And trust me I’m a PC Tech, I know all about potential PC problems, BSOD, crashes, etc. Nothing happens with no reason, for every BSOD there is a cause. Way back after installing Skype for instance many users were reporting problems with their PCs, well because Skype application was causing that they had to fix it and they did. Well, some of it is the past, it depends what you comparing to…If you are using WinXP and IE6 and complaining about viruses…no comments. If you comparing Mac OSX to Windows OS do it fairly, Win7 64-bit Ultimate using IE9 RTM, SSD…i7 Processor or quad core. My Dell Adamo 13 running just dual core with SSD drive boots in 25 seconds. Had no crashes no viruses since i got it last October. And yes outside Dell Adamo 13 is as thin as Macbook Pro 13″ All brushed aluminum finish…just great design. The price $850 straight from Dell site including shipping. Oh I forgot to add, I’m running OSX Snow Leopard on my Dell Adamo, Win XP and my favorite Linux. So as you see all in one.

Now just to make clear i Like Apple Products for their ideas, but i do hate the company for their way of doing business. Overpriced products made in China including lovely iPhone, Apple employees are laying to its costomers, there was an article from actual apple employee admitting that and many more examples of that….

Now with equal hardware that PCs and Macs are using and Win7 imporovements, now it just boils down to preference. Of course Win7 will differ from OSX and vice-versa. There are few things are like better on OSX and there are few things i like better on Win7 where comparing those two.

9. remove Essential Cleaner virus May 9, 2011 at 11:24 am #

Computer can help us to do the homework.