Do We Really Need Windows 8 So Soon?

This weekend I was just casually browsing up and down the aisles at one of my local computer stores. All the usual  array of  promotional banners and offers were on, but there was one in particular that caught my eye. It was a Windows 7 banner, (no surprise there) but what caught my attention is that it was advertising Windows 7 as a “NEW” just released operating system. Of course it was followed with the usual “quicker, securer, etc..” marketing, but it got me thinking. If stores are still advertising Windows  7 as “new”, do we really need Windows 8 so soon?

I know you’re going to argue that Windows 8 isn’t due to be released until early 2012 at the earliest, but realistically the average consumer wont be ready for it. Windows 7 has been out for just over 18 months at this stage, and while it is making good progress in terms of market share, I still don’t feel that the vast majority of people have even upgraded to it yet.

Microsoft had a fairly valid case for getting Windows 7 out as quick as they could (to make up for Windows Vista). Not only the average home user, but also many businesses and enterprises around the world were shouting for an update, so if Microsoft wanted to keep them, they had to deliver. And they did, Windows 7 has received the thumbs up from pretty much everyone and they all seem quite content with it. At the moment there is nothing more that they want than an operating system that’s quick, clean and reliable.

Realistically the average consumer isn’t going to buy a new computer every 2 years. You’re probably looking at more 3-5 years. Of course the more techy ones will upgrade their operating system without updating their hardware, but for the most part people don’t update their OS until they get a new computer that’s running it. Windows 7 came out at the end of 2009 so by the time Windows 8 comes out in 2012, barely 2 years will have elapsed. Consumers won’t be willing to update their systems then, especially if they buy them between now and then.

Look at the enterprise scene too. For large enterprise’s it’s taking nearly 12 months to roll out Windows 7 and update their current systems. It’s costly and expensive for them to do it, generally you won’t find them updating again for at least another 5 years. If you look at it, Windows XP can still be found in many businesses, and that’s been on the go nearly 10 years now. Many of them haven’t even started the roll out yet, but plan on starting it during this year. They’ll have barely got Windows 7 running and staff trained by the time Windows 8 comes out, do you think that they’re going to go through the costly upgrade and training process so soon? If they’ve any sense they wont.

Of course there is a smaller minority of users like ourselves who are always keen to keep up to date with all the latest technology and who are gasping for something new all the time. But I’m afraid we’re not where the vast majority of Microsoft’s sales go to.

I’m interested to hear your views on this, feel free to express them in the comments below…

, , , , ,

0 Responses to Do We Really Need Windows 8 So Soon?

1. Sickjoke419 May 20, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

I dont understand what all the arguing is all about. But I will upgrade when Win 8 comes out as long as it runs quickly and smoothly. As for Vista, I never had any problems what so ever with it, other than it used entirely way too much memory. As for Apple, they have never made any OS worth using.

2. Brian May 22, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

windows 8 is not needed until 2015+ when windows 7 won’t run DX12, when we need more than thousands of GB of ram (lol) and other devices that requires a more advanced interface to work (USB 4.0 maybe). In fact, windows xp still runs 90% of what is available. In addition, USB devices continue to be USB devices, meaning they work with XP, and word continues to be word, and 4GB memory continues to be enough, and DX9 continues to be a minimum standard in modern games. When XP dies you can let me know, then we can start the countdown for windows 8.

3. Bill Vincent May 23, 2011 at 7:41 pm #

I consider myself a techie, I have a small computer repair/building business, and I’m still rolling my eyes at what I consider a FAR premature release, a year early at the very least. I only went to Win7 on my primary work machine 12 months ago, and Win7 is very nice, I’m still uncovering the occasional tidbit. I’ve seen nothing in the ‘leaks’ that appear to be anything more than either pointless eye-candy or further automation. (read: loss of control) I’ve been poking around for some ‘official’ word on this nonsense, but have found nothing. I can only assume that Baldy has lost his marbles and Billy will have to step out of retirement to try and put Humpty together again.

4. Ferstat de Lioncourt May 23, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

Bunch of fanatics of Apple/Win.

ABOUT THE ARTICLE, I think that Balmer doesn’t care a bit about how the people do to update or learn to use it, there is always a constant: contracts with the different manufacturers of technologies, HP, Acer, Toshiba, etc. That is the market of Microsoft, not the normal/weird people, not you, not me, just the enterprises that really are in contact with us. How many people go to buy a license in the little market? Almost nobody. And there are no options, if you buy a computer you buy it with the brand new system, that’s all, Balmer and Microsoft have nothing to worry about if the system is good or bad or pretty, that is the main plate, the people updating their systems are just the dessert.

5. Anakin May 24, 2011 at 12:56 am #

I don’t care as long as they can deliver fast, secure, lean OS.  Don’t release OS just fr the sake of it and bloat it with cosmetic changes.  If the cosmetic update is a must then at least make it prettier with the same resource requirement as current win 7.

6. debba May 29, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

I love Win 7 and won’t think about upgrading till Win 8 has been out for awhile and I see the reviews and feel comfortable that any issues have been resolved.

7. Mathius June 2, 2011 at 1:03 am #

I’m not planning to upgrade from my current Win7 to any higher OS in less than 3 years. Being satisfied with Win7 – graphics and system reliability – I don’t find any reasons to do it. Win XP was quite good, I had used it for quite a long time before I upgraded to Win7 and that was only when I bought my new laptop. As far as the usual user is concerned, there is no reason to displace present Windows OS. They’re pushing it too fast…

8. Hammams June 3, 2011 at 9:28 am #

We need windows 8. Maybe not for PC, but if Microsoft doesn’t get in on the tablet market with a touch UI, then they will suffer greatly. With windows 8, tablets will finally be more than simply toys.

9. Itads69 June 3, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

My new PC spec is Intel i7 3,06GHz, 6GB RAM 1,3GHz, and GTX 480, i am sure that my system will be able to run it but…. i will upgrade it to windows 8 only when the windows 7 stoped supported.

10. Pictures June 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

Waiting for the release of windows 8………….

Of course we need it so soon. If MS wants to stay on the cutting edge, they need to get a new OS that takes advantage of cutting edge technologies. Are you complaining that Apple is releasing a new OS just a year or two after their last one? Of course not. Do you complain that many Linux distributors release a new version of their OS every year or two? Nope. So I fail to see the problem. In fact, Windows seems to be the only OS manufacturer that has not released a new version on one-to-two year schedules. Now they are, so why complain? And no one is forcing an update to Windows 8. But if you want a modular OS, that works on desktops AND touchscreen devices, then Windows 8 will be the place to go.

11. soller July 8, 2011 at 10:46 am #

if there wont be W8 sooner, all we need is the new IOS from apple….lol

12. Chris January 24, 2012 at 10:38 am #

apple os updates are a whole lot cheaper than microsoft updates though