Enable Concurrent Sessions On Windows 7

I imagine that many readers of this blog are the unofficial network administrators in their household, taking on responsibility for making sure that all machines are functioning correctly. If like me this applies to you, then this tweak is an essential one.

Window 7′s default behaviour is to only allow one user to actively use a computer at once; as soon as another user wants to use the machine or connects via Remote Desktop, the first user is booted off.  Enabling Concurrent Sessions allows multiple users to use the same PC at the same time, or the same user to be logged on more than once i.e. this allows a second user to log into a machine via Remote Desktop without the person sitting at the machine being booted off or even noticing, or allows the same user account to be logged in multiple times. For example, I use this tweak to remotely connect to the other PCs and Windows 7 Media Centers in my home to make changes, tweaks and updates without interrupting the current user of the machine e.g. this could be someone watching a TV show who would be very annoyed if it were replaced with the Windows login screen….

Enabling Concurrent Sessions in Windows 7 is easy thanks to a patch that has been created, which has been updated to work with Windows 7 SP1.

Installation Instructions For Concurrent Sessions

1. First, Download this file [Download not found]
  2. Once downloaded, extract the files into a directory (for the purposes of this guide, it will be assumed that the files have been extracted to the folder C:Win7RDP )
  3. Open Windows Explorer to the above folder
  4. Right Click on “install.cmd” and select “Run as Administrator”
  5. Wait for the script to run entirely. At the end, you should see something similar to the image below…

Installation Instructions For Multiple Concurrent Sessions

1. Launch a Command Prompt with Administrator priveleges (Start > CMD > Right Click > Run as Administrator)
  2. At the C:WindowsSystem32 prompt type “cdWin7RDP”
  3. You should now be at the prompt C:Win7RDP>
  4. At the prompt, type: install multi

Thanks to Missing Remote for creating the patch.

, ,

16 Responses to Enable Concurrent Sessions On Windows 7

1. Marco Rinaldi May 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

What’s the difference between Concurrent Sessions and Multiple Concurrent Sessions? Thanks :) Concurrent Sessions and Multiple Concurrent Sessions? Thanks :)

• Everton Blair May 18, 2011 at 2:55 am #

I guess ‘multiple concurrent sessions’ isn’t the clearest.  Concurrent sessions is where user 1 and user 2 can be logged on at the same time.  Multiple is where user 2 can be logged on multiple times

2. Marco Rinaldi May 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

3. Paul G. May 18, 2011 at 8:37 am #

This sounds useful, but I’m sure it’s not Microsoft approved. Does anyone know if this violates the Windows license agreement? Can someone cite the section of the agreement which allows or prohibits this hack?

4. Joe Hile May 18, 2011 at 9:31 am #

I tested this out on my laptop with 4gb of RAM and almost all of my memory was consumed.  It was running at about 98% memory usage and when I log off the remote user, I do not get that memory back until I reboot.

• Jarrett Lennon Kaufman May 21, 2011 at 12:44 am #

I had no such problem, although when I logged in I used task manager to log off the users I didn’t need. Seems to free up the memory just fine.

5. wilma May 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

I use this all the time.  Does it violate the license agreement… That is questionable.  With “servers” the TLS (terminal licensing server) which is similar to the RDP services, if you hack your way around the TLS licensing, this violates your agreement.  This hack is questionable.  I wouldnt worry about it, since you have this ability with windows native, just not with multiple logins.

6. Jarrett Lennon Kaufman May 19, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

How would I go about uninstalling either/both functions? I installed Multiple Concurrent sessions before seeing the comment that clarified it, and I’m not sure I want that feature anymore.

• Everton Blair May 19, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

not sure how to remove.  You do realise that the first option is just a limited version of the 2nd?  If you don’t want multiple sessions per user, just don’t log in more than once

• Jarrett Lennon Kaufman May 21, 2011 at 12:40 am #

Of course, why ever would I leave my profile logged in at home and then want to log in from somewhere else without opening up an entirely separate session? Silly me.

Yes, I’m quite clear on what the first version is. I have little need to log in as myself twice, but plenty of use for logging in without kicking off my girlfriend who might be using the computer while I’m at work. First option very useful, second option less so now that it’s cleared up what it is. Yes, I can log into a new session, ignore a few errors about locked files, go to task manager, overtake my original session, and then logoff the temporary one much as I have to do when administrating domain servers, but as I’m likely to have to do that every time I connect to my home machine it would be nice to roll back this change and stick only to the one I find useful.

7. Fred May 19, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

Does this work with Win7 Sp1?

8. DannyC May 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

do you guys not realise this is agains windows 7 end user license agreement? you effectively encouraging people to break contract they are signing up to when purchasing the product…

• Jarrett Lennon Kaufman May 21, 2011 at 12:41 am #

Considering no version of Windows 7 supports this, I’m not sure that’s the case, and if it is I think it’s reasonable. If it was enabling RDP on Home Basic/Premium, I would agree with you, but concurrent sessions isn’t a feature on ANY Windows 7 version, and running Windows Server 2008 R2 on a home computer isn’t feasible or reasonable.

9. No November 28, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

Working with Win 7 SP1 and all updates until now ( see comment’s date!)
    Awesome !
    Thanks a lot !!!

10. RodNewstrom January 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Doesn’t seem to work on W7x32Pro . The termsrv patch appears to be working, but the current user is kicked off when I try to come in via remote desktop. Tried it with both standard and ‘multi’ settings. Any suggestions as to errors I may have made, or is this just a non-starter on Pro ?