I imagine that many readers of this blog are the unofficial network administrators in their household, taking on responsibility for making sure that all machines are functioning correctly. If like me this applies to you, then this tweak is an essential one.
Window 7′s default behaviour is to only allow one user to actively use a computer at once; as soon as another user wants to use the machine or connects via Remote Desktop, the first user is booted off. Enabling Concurrent Sessions allows multiple users to use the same PC at the same time, or the same user to be logged on more than once i.e. this allows a second user to log into a machine via Remote Desktop without the person sitting at the machine being booted off or even noticing, or allows the same user account to be logged in multiple times. For example, I use this tweak to remotely connect to the other PCs and Windows 7 Media Centers in my home to make changes, tweaks and updates without interrupting the current user of the machine e.g. this could be someone watching a TV show who would be very annoyed if it were replaced with the Windows login screen….
Enabling Concurrent Sessions in Windows 7 is easy thanks to a patch that has been created, which has been updated to work with Windows 7 SP1.
Installation Instructions For Concurrent Sessions
- First, Download this file [download id="184" format="7"]
- Once downloaded, extract the files into a directory (for the purposes of this guide, it will be assumed that the files have been extracted to the folder C:Win7RDP )
- Open Windows Explorer to the above folder
- Right Click on “install.cmd” and select “Run as Administrator”
- Wait for the script to run entirely. At the end, you should see something similar to the image below…
Installation Instructions For Multiple Concurrent Sessions
- Launch a Command Prompt with Administrator priveleges (Start > CMD > Right Click > Run as Administrator)
- At the C:WindowsSystem32 prompt type “cdWin7RDP”
- You should now be at the prompt C:Win7RDP>
- At the prompt, type: install multi
Thanks to Missing Remote for creating the patch.