Getting the best performance out of your Windows7 OS can involve bringing in many 3rd party tools. But before you do that, try some in house tools first.
Step 1: Go to the Control Panel
Step 2: Select System and Security
Step 3: Select System
Step 4: Select Advanced System Settings
Step 5: Select Performance – Settings
Step 6: On the Visual Effects Tab, select Adjust for Best Performance. This will clear any selections that may be present.
Step 7. On the Advanced tab select programs.
Step 8. Select the Change button.
Step 9: Customize the size of the cache
- Click Custom size
- Enter the initial size (the recommended amount)
- Enter the maximum size (add 100 to the initial size or some other number so you have a range, minimum to maximum).
- Click Set
- Click OK
You may have to reboot your system.
This tool is handy and easy to use and you should try it before you download other third party software.
Here are some other tips to improve your computer performance.
- If your computer is running slow, add more memory. That is fundamental.
- Defrag your hard drive with Microsoft’s defragger.
- Limit how many programs run at startup. Watch what you install or download sometimes those programs are setup to launch automatically at startup.
- Use the Performance troubleshooter. This may help you find problems. Little tweaks could add to performance improvements.
- Run fewer programs at the same time. Although this goes against the grain with a Windows OS, it is true nevertheless. If you don’t need to run multiple programs at the same time, then don’t do it.
- The same thing goes with your browser. With the ability to open multiple tabs you can flood your system.
- Remember that spyware and viruses can affect your Computer’s performance. If you don’t have anti-spyware installed, then download Microsoft’s Security Essentials System and install that; it is free.