Microsoft VP Hints At Windows 8 Release In Fall 2012

Microsoft generally keep pretty tight lipped on the release date for their new operating systems. They generally don’t like anyone to know too much about their new projects understandably, so I was quite surprised when they showed off a preview of it early this year at the AllThings D event.

While they did show off that preview to us, they kept quite on any details regarding the release date. However recent hints from the corporate vice president for Strategic and Emerging Business Development Dani Lewin pretty much confirms that Microsoft are planning to bring out Windows 8 in Fall 2012.

He told us to look at Microsofts release schedule in the past or “the crystal ball” as he referred to it. He said to assume

“what happened in the past is a reasonable indicator of what our forward looking timelines will be and just speculate–we’ve made the point about having a developer conference later this year, and then typically we enter a beta phase, and then in 12 months we’re in the market, so let’s make that assumption,”

Generally Microsoft holds it Professional Developers Conference during the early fall. This years conference in scheduled to kick off September 13th. That would be an ideal time for Microsoft to announce the release of Windows 8 assuming that it hits the market a couple of weeks later.

If we look to the past at Windows 7, Microsoft had a 9 month beta period of Windows 7. The 12 months that Dani Lewin mentioned seems awfully long, especially when you consider that Microsoft are probably looking to get this new OS out on the market as soon as they can. The flip side of this is that if Microsoft are planning on a 12 month beta period, that means we will be getting our first “official” taste of the software from Microsoft towards the end of this year.

, , , , ,

31 Responses to Microsoft VP Hints At Windows 8 Release In Fall 2012

1. Matias Pequeno September 19, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Can’t you see it people? Windows 8 is the angel of apocalypse behind 2012! Windows finally will cause the end of the world!

2. Joe Young September 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

I think windows 8 will be good but it will just be another ipad. I hate apple and will do anything to not let them brainwash me like all the millions of users with iphones ipads ipods and ishit. I dont use windows at home or at work, I use Linux and I like it much better because of how fast it is which comes in handy as an IT guy, I can do anything that any Windows or Mac can do. I think what microsoft needs to concentrate on most is to be “user friendly” Windows 7 was “OK” but it needs to get better. people should be able to learn things from using their PC like the difference between a screensave and a desktop background for example. But users also need to learn to read before they click and not just go through motions when using a PC. I have a test PC set up wtih Windows 8 Developer Preview on it and it is pretty cool but I can still see room for improvement.

3. Mike Catalano September 20, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

I have the windows 8 devloper preview running on a seperate partition dual boot with very minimal issues so far the only issues is that on my hdmi monitor the new start menu wont execute commands but on my vga it works other than that its very fast and the video quality is great,there are new apps included like socialbox i think its called which intergrates facebook with the new start menu. I have this running on a pentium d 3.2 with 2 gb of ram 90 gig partition

4. Datamiser September 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

I am curious to see what 8 has to offer. 7 is pretty good, much better than Vista for sure. XP has been a good one as was windows 2000. Never liked any of the home versions, Pro version or not on
    my system.

Also interested in what may be different in the next VS edition.

5. Reader September 23, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

are != is

6. Ezubis September 25, 2011 at 9:41 am #

windows 8 is soo nice i have yje beta already

7. Lenegal48 September 26, 2011 at 9:48 am #

Windows 8 is being developed not so much for PCs because one would need a touch screen monitor, or touch book laptop, but for tablets and smart phones.

8. Ronda Lynn October 23, 2011 at 9:55 am #

Windows 8 is not exactly what I thought it would be. It is not for businesses. It appears to be good for tablets-I would agree with that. I just think MS should focus on making their OS and Internet browser more secure. I won’t even surf in IE. that’s my two cents worth.

9. Humanbeing October 27, 2011 at 4:31 am #

Let’s wait and watch…what Microsoft has stored up for all of us :)

10. Daniel November 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

SO siked windows 7 works flawlessly on my tablet already, especially in school for taking notes and doing projects and the accosional MW@aef2ee7644fd441f917c3db1393b974a:disqus . Microsoft says that Windows 8 will be tablet friendly, Microsoft really wows me. I use asus ep121 64gb 4gb ram.

My name is Daniel and I switched from Mac( got tired of shit service, and cheap shit, 17in macbook pro broke in 2years, and lack of features, and Steve Jobs.) to windows 7

11. Lilvivi999 November 12, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

I have a tablet laptop… and lots of features of windows 7 don’t work perfectly with the tablet because buttons are too small etc…. windows 8 promises a complete rework of how things are displayed, traditional format and a format that is more “app” like, the way windows mobile is made…

12. motor cycle pictures March 10, 2012 at 12:15 am #

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The caricature is attractive, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be turning in the following. in poor health certainly come more formerly again as precisely the same nearly a lot steadily inside of case you protect this increase.