What Has Windows 7 Done for you?

This morning as I booted up my laptop for another day full of research, creative writing, web design and blogging, (which inevitably will turn into yet another unproductive day spent on Facebook, Stumbleupon and the likes) I started to think… What has Windows 7 done for me? We’re coming up to it’s second anniversary soon, and I think most of us take our computers and OS’s for granted a lot of the time. Where would we be without them?

In this day and age, we can’t really imagine what it would be like to live without all the various technologies which nurse us along in our everyday lives. Some might say we could be better off. We wouldn’t be pestered by those Facebook notifications all the time. We wouldn’t be bombarded with a host of spam emails and you wouldn’t have half the world addicted to World of Warcraft. Some might dare to say that we would be more productive.

But really I find it very hard to agree with any of that. Technology has done a lot for us, more than we can ever possibly imagine. There are just some many different aspects of our lives controlled by so many different technologies that there’s no point in trying to figure out which is the most beneficial to us.

So I’m going to make it a bit easier for you all. I’m simply going to ask you: What has Windows 7 done for you?

Personally Windows 7 has had quite an impact on various different aspects of my life. I’ll explain a couple of them below so you can get an idea.

Low System Requirements

The fact that Windows 7 has very low system requirements means I was able to update one of my older Windows XP machines to Windows 7 and it was perfectly stable. I knew I was never going to be able to run Windows Vista on it but it’s more than capable at running Windows 7. This has not only saved me money on buying a new machine, but also time as it runs smoother and quicker than ever.

Reliable

It may sound rather soppy but here it goes anyway… Windows 7 is always there for me, (yes I know it doesn’t have anywhere else to go) what I mean is that I can boot up my laptop from cold and know that in a minute I’ll be browsing the web. I don’t have to worry about everything freezing and I’ve no idea what the BSOD (Blue screen of death) looks like anymore. If I just want to quickly log on to check my emails or something, Windows 7 will wake up from sleep mode in 2 or 3 seconds at the most and it’s ready to go just like that.

Increases Productivity

Not only is Windows 7 easy on the eye, but little things in it help make me more productive. The search bar in the start menu that allows me to search for and execute any command or program on the OS really saves me time. Features like Aero Snap not only look cool but they are so incredibly convenient it helps be so much more productive.

I probably could go on and on, but I won’t. Instead I’ll pass the task over to you. I’m sure you all have something that you love about Windows 7, something that has made your life that little bit easier. Even if it’s only a small little thing like the fact that the widgets on your desktop can be moved to wherever you like, I want to hear about it.

Of course I’m sure some of you have some gripes with Windows 7 and feel like it hasn’t done enough for you, but for the moment could we try and keep this post positive. I can always follow up with a second post on the negatives.

So for now, what has Windows 7 done for you?

Let us know in the comments below

, , , ,

11 Responses to What Has Windows 7 Done for you?

1. Eddie Yasi July 21, 2011 at 8:15 am #

I love Aero Snap and other little touches (like apps being able to show progress or provide simple controls in their task bar icons), but I think what I love the most about it is how invisible it is.

Past operating systems were constantly making me think about them: “How do I do this”, “Why the heck do you keep bugging me for permission”, etc. etc.  For the most part I don’t think about Windows 7 because it gets out of my way and just quietly and efficiently does its thing.  I can fully concentrate on the apps/games/coding/writing or whatever I’m doing without having to babysit or fight with the OS.

• Jason July 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

Definitely agree with you on Aero Snap. My company still has me working on an XP machine while at work and going from crappy window management in XP to my home PC’s which use the great Aero features, it’s really night and day. Snap is by far my most-used features on the desktop.

• Guest July 24, 2011 at 9:08 pm #

On XP (maybe Vista), Right-click the taskbar and choose “Tile windows vertically” or use Ctrl to select 2 or more windows in the taskbar, right-click on one of them and select “tile vertically” or “tile horizontally” depending on what you prefer.

2. Anonymous July 21, 2011 at 10:39 am #

For me it’s the fact that it doesn’t freeze all the time.  With XP I was constantly waiting for the computer to think about running the executable or locking up if too much was running.

3. André Ziegler July 21, 2011 at 11:11 am #

it has no improvements for me. 3 times larger RAM usage compared to Vista, a lot a freezes which don’t appear on Vista. Vista is much more stable and reliable. Windows 7 is a waste of money and time. I can’t wait to throw it out of the window and install Windows 8.

• Mark July 21, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

Huh? W7 definitely requires less RAM on every machine I’ve run it on, which is several. It’s more reliable, again on every machine I’ve run it on. And I’ve never had it freeze on me, whereas I blue screened Vista several times (though it was much better than XP).

Have you run it on more than one machine? If not, I’d suspect you have a serious driver incompatability problem.

• Abc July 22, 2011 at 4:32 am #

Do you know what are you talking about ? dude

• Xenthis July 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

Maybe this dude ^ is using a computer with crap hardware and he switched from a good pc

4. Paul July 21, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

I’d agree with all of those. I really like the new task bar too. I’d maybe quibble on the “low system requirements”. I think “lower” would be more accurate. I’ve run both Linux and OS X on the same machine as W7, and they still win handily on restricted configs.

5. Roger J July 22, 2011 at 8:14 am #

I think your examples ummed it up for me:

Low system requirements: still running it on my April 2008 Toshiba Portege M700 which had already been upgraded with more RAM under XP, I just replaced the original HDD with a 250 Gb HDD and installed Windows Ultimate on release.

Reliable: yes, stable etc.  The occasional BSoD has been due to peripherals.  I have been able to run a couple of XP-friendly applications in XP mode so easily.

Increases productivity; undoubtedly, in so many different ways.

Now I’m seriously thinking of waiting till Windows 8 come out before getting another notebook computer, especially if 8 is beta-tested like Windows 7 was.

Roger J

6. Xenthis July 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

I love windows 7 – I can’t even use windows XP anymore because of the ease of use of windows 7