The annual Games Developer Conference takes place on March 6th and this year Microsoft will be holding a session to take a look at gaming in Windows 8 as well as Xbox Live. The sessions will be held on Tuesday March 6th from 10am – 5:30pm at the Moscone Center in San Francisco.
It will be interesting to see how Microsoft envisage what the future of gaming will be on Windows 8. Of course we can certainly expect to see a much bigger focus on touch based gaming, but I’d also bet on seeing a lot of Kinect integration. Kinect recently came to Windows 7 and the hardware has proved massively popular on the Xbox console. It provides a completely new range of gaming opportunities on Windows 8, and I can also see it integrating very well with the new Metro UI.
The sessions to be covered at the event include:
- Entertainment Reimagined
- Developing a Great Metro Style Game for Windows 8
- The Making of Metro Style Marble Maze
- Async Gaming
- Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Deep Dive
- Xbox LIVE Services – Entertainment Powered by the Cloud
- Game Data Anywhere Using Xbox LIVE Cloud Storage
- Asynchronous Gaming with Xbox LIVE Services
- Connecting Xbox LIVE Web Games with Xbox LIVE Services
The Windows 8 Consumer Preview is set to be unveiled on the 29th of February and we’re also expecting Microsoft to make it publicly available to download on that day as well.
It will be interesting to see if Microsoft include any games in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview to demonstrate its potential.