Just before all the expected hype around the arrival of Windows 8 Beta (Consumer Preview) occurs I thought I’d report on an innovation from Australia’s telecom communication giant that will impact on Australian users of the Internet. Big Pond is Australia’s largest provider of ADSL, Cable and Wireless broadband services providing both ADSL and cable technology at various speeds ranging from 256kbps to 30,000kbps.
This innovation involves the Telstra‘s T-Box. The Telstra T-BOX is a device allowing you to integrate Internet and free-to-air entertainment on your TV, so you can watch what you want, when you’re ready to watch. It is available when you subscribe to a BigPond® Broadband service.
It allows you to access the following features –
- Movie rentals from BigPond® Movies
- On screen Electronic Program TV Guide, seven days in advance
- All recording features for free-to-air programs via My Recordings including Series Record
- BigPond TV channels such as V8, AFL, NRL, Racing, Music, News and Sport
- FOXTEL on T-Box if you are eligible
- BigPond® Videos
- Applications such as YouTube® videos, AFL and NRL Game Analyser, BigPond Games and Picasa.
The recent addition of My Media to the T-Box allows you to access photos, music and video files directly via the wireless link to your home computer.
How can I use My Media?
To do this you use your T-Box. You have two options –
- Connect a compatible USB Stick or portable hard drive containiing your media files via the USB port, front or rear
- Connect your compatible PC through Windows Media Player to view selected content via your Big Pond Network
Note: It is important to ensure your Home PC is connected to the same network as your T-Box.
Before you get started, please ensure:
1. Your home computer is running Windows 7 with Windows Media Player 12 installed.
4. 4. 5.