Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Next week will be a big week for Windows 8. Micosoft will launch the Windows 8 Consumer Preview at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona on Feb 29.

So what does that mean? The beta version will be available so here are some tips about what to do with it after you download the copy.

grey Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Prelimary Hardware Tips

To start, you will need the following hardware:

• 1GHz processor
  • 1GB RAM for 32-bit OS, 2GB RAM for 64-bit OS
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
  • 16 GB HDD free space for 32-bit, 20GB HDD free space for 64-bit

grey Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Also, a PC will probably have the generic drivers needed to make the system operational. So that is a good place to start. How about tablets, laptops, and other devices? Hmm. No don’t do that. Stick to a PC, after all it is a beta version. Also don’t install it over a Windows 7 system. Format the drive, and install clean. If problems occur with the OS, you want to be able to say that it is Windows 8 causing the problems, not some interaction with another OS.

What if I don’t have an ARM based motherboard, will Windows 8 install?

Right now, nobody has ARM, so it will install, and so that will not be an issue. Also, an x86 version is in the works, so your PC’s should handle the Win 8 OS installation.

Finally, Windows 8 has a built in touch screen technology, But that doesn’t mean that now, you can use your regular monitor to do the touch screen operations. For that you will have to purchase a touch screen monitor.

[download id="399" format="7"] [download id="400" format="7"]

, ,

9 Responses to Windows 8 Consumer Preview

1. Anderson February 27, 2012 at 4:01 am #

“Be careful where you install the beta version. Don’t install it on a production system. Install it on a sidebar PC, one that will no be used for any other means except to see the Windows 8 OS in operation.”
    I do not concur with that. The Consumer Preview can be used as default OS.
    I’m using in my pc the Developer Preview since launched as the default and single OS, and the only problem I think I can call problem is the gameguard of online games not compatible, but this is with the gameguard companies.
    Got the BSoD 2 or 3 times in this month only (Freakin’ stable for a pre-beta version).
    Of course, keep in mind that this is a beta version and problems may occur.

*Sorry if it has any error, I’m brazilian.

• Razioer February 27, 2012 at 9:45 am #

acutally, IE 10 has a major flaw, if you are using multiple graphix cards. Both the desktop and Metro version will completly bug out on any screen that isent attached to your main gf card.
      And while I can certainly use chrome or something on the other screens, it kinda defeats the purpose of having 64bit architechture if you have to run 32 bit (slow) browsers like chrome.

But yes, other than that, the developer preview has been impressively stable, and dualbooting developer preview and win7, the difference in hardware req is so substatial that i am able to run battlefield 3 in win8, but not win7, on the same machine.

• Paul February 28, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Bitching about a developer preview it not even a beta, wow your a winner.

• J.I February 28, 2012 at 5:24 am #

I don’t agree with that. I had seen Windows Developers Preview Crashes several times on differents computers, so it’s not completly reliable yet.

• Scophi February 28, 2012 at 10:12 am #

I think the author means that this is still a Preview and not a Final Version. As such, there may be unanticipated results. So it’s best not to use it on your primary computer unless you’re okay with problems cropping up.

In other words, no lifeguard on duty, swim at your own risk.

And given the amount of problems I ran into with the Dev Prev, I couldn’t agree more.

2. Filip Olsson February 27, 2012 at 5:00 am #

where do i get the dam beta?

Martin Brinkmann February 28, 2012 at 6:28 am #

It is coming out tomorrow, we post the download locations as soon as we get them.

3. hwatt February 27, 2012 at 8:43 am #

you could also do a vhd if you have a win7 machine. It’s essentially feels/looks like dual booting without doing as much damage to your hd. Your boot record still gets changed, though. For those of us with few spare pcs to spare.

If you just have an average pc, I wouldn’t recommend doing any vmware or virtualbox solution. I have an i7 laptop and the virtual Developer’s Preview performing extremely poorly. Did the dual boot/vhd solution and never looked back

4. shookems March 3, 2012 at 9:47 am #

How do you launch media player?