Is Windows 8 unable to read DVDs?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  W7NOmoronovo 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
August 11, 2011 at 5:04 pm #86427

fantasy

Good morning everyone,

I’m quite disturbed because I’ve read that Windows 8 might be unable to read DVDs natively. I wonder if this piece of news is just a rumour or a real information concerning Windows 8. In fact I’m going to install W8 as soon as it’s possible but I really use DVDs everyday.

Edit: I read it on a French website for Windows 8[/url:1qo8qp7d]

Do you have any idea about this?

August 15, 2011 at 11:35 am #90151

W7NOmoronovo

Since the article you reference doesn’t cite any sources other than a reference to another article on the same site claiming "sources close to the company", I wouldn’t put too much weight on it.

There are a number of reasons why Windows 8 may not ship with components necessary to play DVD’s – the most likely being licensing restrictions. However, "unable" is the wrong word. If this is the case, Microsoft will most likely be trying to sidestep licensing issues by allowing people to download the required components when they attempt to play a DVD, rather than shipping the components with Windows.

Furthermore, this would not prevent someone installing their own software for playing back DVD’s, nor not have any impact on support of data DVD’s.

For what it’s worth, the Windows 8 builds that have been released so far have no problems playing back video DVD’s, so either that French site has the wrong information, or are basing it on newer unfinished internal builds which (by their nature) may not be complete and should not be used for the basis of any assumptions. A decision like this would be set in stone by the Beta release, so we will see then if this is the case.

Regardless, it would have little impact either way – DVD’s will still be playable on Windows 8, in the worst case it requires using a media player other than WMP, but more likely is it will just require a player update (most likely via Windows Update) before they can be played natively.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.