Re: W7 is just Vista in a pretty new box

Home Everything Microsoft Forums Windows 7 Chat Rumors Re: W7 is just Vista in a pretty new box

This topic contains 17 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  W7NOmoronovo 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
January 19, 2009 at 11:31 pm #87057

JohnCiber

I’ve used Windows 95, 98, 2000, Xp, Vista and now Seven

And Seven is the best OS that I’ve used since XP, and IMO, is much better than the predecessor of Vista

January 20, 2009 at 11:53 am #87073

s0eViL

I was able to install Call of Duty 4 and it was the fastest install I have ever seen on any OS I was very surprised that it installed that fast, the game runs fine so I’m guessing most games will work fine.

January 23, 2009 at 2:12 pm #87153

craigg

I’ve been playing around with W7 in my spare time.  So far I’m fairly impressed.  What did amaze me was the speed at which I’m able to download files.  I’m running it on a 1.5 GHz Pentium M with only 512 MB of RAM and I’m surprised how responsive it has been so far.  It’s obvous things have been cleaned up with the OS.

April 14, 2009 at 8:47 pm #87822

lschafroth
"s0eViL":2covz1bi wrote:
Tip: don’t try and install any CD mounting tools that are not designed for it and also don’t use CCleaner on window 7.

[/quote:2covz1bi]

I have used ccleaner on Windows 7 several times after upgrading to a different build and reinstalling my Antivirus package.  It works great.

LS

April 27, 2009 at 6:24 am #87921

nanoz
"Rock":2f3ybwt8 wrote:
Rumor:  Windows7 is not a new operating system.  It is nothing more than a rebadged cleaned up Vista so that Microsoft can dump the Vista name that has received so much negative PR.

Call it a pit bull with lipstick to use a recent political quote.
Or Vista in a shiny new box and a new name.

[/quote:2f3ybwt8]
you dudes dont think that if vista would have only needed a little cleaning and kernel improvements there wouldnt have been any need for totally new operating system?
a simple update or service packwould have done this job quick
but microsoft built a similar-looking OS but the base and core and features are newer than vista ones
of course it is not a big interface change because that would cause low sales and in consequence low profit for microsoft with such a big investment : that is not an option
microsoft had said that new hardware (2007-2009) must exist to every PC and for that new hardware a goodnew OS that can handle all components for maximum performance and quality is really what windows 7 should be(i repeat : should be)
windows 7 has the same eye candy vista ofered and much more,it works better on PCs that are not that capable (vistajust sucks at this point even vlited and tweaked)
do you think microsoft stays at vista core and bases even in windows 7? then youre not using your brain…microsoft wants to extend for some years the current interface but also cares about the fact that windows 7 must handle the upcoming hardware until windows 8 arives ,and will have  different interface and also will need  a new core….
so my point is that windows 7 can’t be "windows vista reloaded" ,and that is why it is so good even in beta phase

July 25, 2009 at 9:58 pm #88345

T3Aguy

Isn’t that basically what every OS is? I don’t see any massive improvements in any new versions of any new OSs.

August 7, 2009 at 3:49 am #88375

john3347

There is some un-earned euphoria over the "new" thing on the block.  Windows 7, while is quite an improvement over the train wreck called Vista, it is not the glorious, perfect OS that this euphoria holds it to be.  I have been experiencing Vista like characteristics in Windows 7.  As I load it up with applications and saved documents, it slows noticeably and it is subject to the same screen freezes requiring a reboot as Vista is famous for, although less frequently.  The ridiculous file and search (lack of) system from Vista has basically been unchanged except for adding libraries which helps you find find your way while wading around in the chaos but doesn’t fix any of the chaos itself.  All in all Windows 7 is no more than Vista, not with shortcomings fixed, but some of with Vista’s shortcomings thinly smoothed over, and others of them swept under the rug to come back to haunt us after the euphoria had worn off.  Maybe, as with XP, by SP2 or SP3.

August 7, 2009 at 7:44 pm #88377

W7NOmoronovo

I’ll be the first one to admit that Windows 7 is hyped beyond what it really is since Vista was a pretty well made disaster when it was released. But I am experiencing none of the issues you describe; even with vista, those kind of issues were the result of bad drivers, which windows 7 doesn’t (shouldn’t) have since as long as vista drivers are available, there should be no problems. Kernel mode drivers are the only real exceptions to the rule since the windows 7 kernal has been modified slightly, things like SPTD for example.

Can I ask what programs you’re using which have been causing a slowdown or other nasty issues in windows 7?

PS. My windows 7-running laptop has been running as a small network file server and downloading machine for almost 6 weeks now, using windows 7 RC. It hasn’t had to restart once.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.