setup as admin

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  perry59 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
May 17, 2009 at 11:51 pm #85222

perry59

during win 7 setup it asks for you to enter a username. No big surprise, but
I did not see any option to use the administrator account during set up. I’d prefer
to set up as administrator, then add users later. Is there some way to do this?
thanks

May 20, 2009 at 3:28 am #88094

perry59

nothing?

May 20, 2009 at 9:29 am #88096

MurlynLAN

I think the "administrator" account is now a system account and can’t be used by users. The account you create at setup is an administrator account and has all the privilages of one.

May 20, 2009 at 3:14 pm #88098

perry59

Yes, the first account created during setup does have admin priviledges (although I still need to select "run as admin" for some things).
I was able to enable the admin account and log into though.

May 20, 2009 at 5:41 pm #88099

W7NOmoronovo

Unfortunately with the release of Windows Vista some 2 1/2 years ago, Microsoft made the fully fledged "Administrator" account very difficult to gain access to. The reason being that a second Administrators group was created which run all processes in the system RunLevel of 1 or higher (based on account privileges), and doing that means UAC can function properly to help defend us from all the flying bits of nasty stuff out there on the internet. The Administrator account, like all Administrator accounts in previous versions of windows, runs all programs at the full access of RunLevel 0. When you tell a program to run as administrator, whilst logged in as a member of the administrator group, the program is elevated to RunLevel 0 where it can effectively do whatever it likes.

Basically, the short answer is no, it’s not possible to set it up with the Administrator account like you could in XP, because Microsoft doesn’t want people becoming complacent and not bothering to create a more secure second account for everyday use – a bit like Windows XP.

May 20, 2009 at 10:49 pm #88102

perry59

Ah, thanks for the excellent answer Vigilante.
I had never used Vista so was unaware of the change.
I guess this means that I also cannot alter/merge/or get rid of the "system" partition that is created during setup.

May 21, 2009 at 5:49 am #88105

W7NOmoronovo

Ah, now that’s different. The system partition is a new feature with windows 7 – It is only created if you allocate a full disk (or disk array, raid etc.) to Windows 7. If you do not want the system partition to be created, you can do so by simply manually partitioning the disk – that way, Windows 7 will put the boot information on the same disk as the installation files. However, there are a few features of the system partition that make it extremely useful:

1. If your Windows 7 installation fails or becomes corrupted, there are repair utilities on the system partition which will automatically boot and attempt repairs of the windows 7 installation.
2. Being hidden and read only from within windows means it cannot be damaged due to viruses etc., requiring at least a hunt for the windows 7 dvd to repair or even reinstall if the damage is bad enough.
3. There’s enough space on the partition to add your own useful command line tools and utilities – A lot of the more important ones are already there like chkdsk. I personally like to add SFC as well, just in case.

Of course, it’s completely your choice if you don’t like having the system partition, but I personally believe the benefits of it far outweigh any disadvantages.

May 21, 2009 at 3:04 pm #88107

perry59

Thanks again for the excellent info vigilante.
I’ll have to explore this partition some more.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.