What is it with Windows 7 and x86 bit programs?

Home Everything Microsoft Forums Windows 7 Chat Windows 7 General What is it with Windows 7 and x86 bit programs?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jagguy 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
February 10, 2010 at 1:19 am #86051

jagguy

When I try to download some software I get the following:-

"Cannot run an x86 build of this utility on x64 platform", after which I get "Initializing driver Failed".

I am almost completely new to computers, and Windows 7 in particular: I have been trying all sorts of recmmended solutions from the web, but so far all I get is virus warnings.
I am not alone with this problem apparently, and my attempts at using ParetoLogics Drivercure program & their Help website, still hasn`t resolved the problem; similarly, the Sony Viao helpline cannot suggest what to do either.
Is this unsolvable, thus renderring the hardware I have bought which requires an x86 platform, totally useless?

jagguy

February 10, 2010 at 2:32 pm #89173

W7NOmoronovo

The problem here is not Windows 7. That error would show up if you were using the 64bit version of XP or Vista as well – the developer of the software has not created a 64-bit driver, which the software relies upon.

32-bit (aka, x86) drivers cannot be installed on a 64-bit system – there is no work around, the systems are physically incompatible.

However, if you are using Windows 7 professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, you can download Virtual Windows XP – then, you can install the program safely inside the Virtual machine.

Any programs that are 32-bit will run on windows 7 64-bit – unless they rely on 32-bit only drivers. If that’s the case, then unfortunately we can’t help – I’d suggest pestering the manufacturer of the program to develop an update, since 64-bit computing has been available mainstream now for 4 years, and available in concept since 2001, and with Windows 7 being the last version of windows to have 32 AND 64-bit versions, their software will soon become obsolete if not updated.

Anyhow, I ranted a little there. If you need any more help, let me know.

February 10, 2010 at 10:00 pm #89174

jagguy

Thank you for your swift response, which even for the computer virgins like myself, is understandable.
This explains all the talk around the satellite world(which the software I am trying to download is for), why some have no problems, and others have been frustrated for literally months. It depends on WHICH windows 7 is installed, and as is so often with M/Soft software, the answer lies in paying for yet another program – so far I have purchased two ParetoLogic programs which CLAIMED to be able to fix all driver problems, but clearly weren`t able to. All replies have been non-specific, but point me either in the direction of another ParetoLogic program, or in the fault of the hardware or software manufacturer.

JG

February 11, 2010 at 12:01 am #89175

W7NOmoronovo

Well, I have never used the piece of software you are referring to, but after 9 years if they haven’t decided to develop a version that runs on (what is now) a sizeable percentage of Installed windows versions, I would take my business elsewhere.

What is it you use the program for specifically? If you are trying to use an older piece of (unsupported) hardware, you may be forced to stick to using Virtual Windows XP (Available for free here[/url:336910te]), or reinstalling Windows 7 (except, installing the 32-bit version instead).

Let me know either way, I could give you some pointers.

February 11, 2010 at 12:47 am #89176

jagguy

Kilmarnock eh? well at least you know where aberdeen is (I`m in Kintore near the airport)
So, I`ve paid the £120 & upgraded to Windows 7 professional – the program still doesn`t install!!!!

JG

February 11, 2010 at 12:50 am #89177

jagguy

forgot to say – program is called studio 8.7 and comes from the duolabs website. as I said before – if you go on the satellite users forums, you`ll find 100s of people who are having trouble the same as I am

February 11, 2010 at 12:56 am #89178

W7NOmoronovo
"jagguy":1nn20lj8 wrote:
Kilmarnock eh? well at least you know where aberdeen is (I`m in Kintore near the airport)
So, I`ve paid the £120 & upgraded to Windows 7 professional – the program still doesn`t install!!!!

JG
[/quote:1nn20lj8]

I’m sorry, you must have misunderstood me – Windows 7 versions each come in 32 AND 64-bit versions – I have the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Enterprise running on my desktop, and the 32-bit version of Windows 7 Enterprise running on my laptop. They are the same system in terms of functionality, they are just designed differently so that the 64-bit version of the OS can use additional features of 64-bit processors.

You did not need to purchase a new version of windows to fix this issue, you simply needed to find a copy of the operating system in its 32-bit variety – In your case I presume Windows 7 home premium (or now professional).

February 11, 2010 at 1:27 am #89179

jagguy

the problem I think I have is that the L/Top I bought recently comes with W7 already installed, so I`ve no idea what version it is, but clearly not one that will run this software
I don`t have a dvd rom for the program as I always had before, so I am stuck with whatever is already in. I understood that I had the cheap version, so upgraded – at my expense, no problem there, just £120 down, but that`s my fault.
I am told by those that know these things to download the program in virtual XP, which I have also downloaded, but the L/top doesn`t come with any instructions on W7, despite being an expensive model – a Sony Vaio of some type or other.
I`m sorry to be thick, but at my age computers don`t come naturally, but I have never really had any problems, certainly not like this anyway.
With all this expense & added programs why am I still getting the statement ""cannot run an x86 build of this utility on an x64 platform"?

February 11, 2010 at 1:33 am #89180

W7NOmoronovo

You can check whch type of system you have by clicking on the start orb, right clicking on "computer" and selecting "properties".

In the middle section, there will be a section labelled "System Type". In your case, it will say "64-bit Operating System", and that’s the problem.

If you have access to something like Windows Live Messenger, or any IM application really, I could try to walk you through getting the software set up through the Windows XP Virtual mode.

February 11, 2010 at 1:42 am #89181

jagguy

I really don`t want to put you to that trouble at this time of day – all I have that might work is skype, but that would be better at a more suitable time of day.
Maybe we should leave it until I have tried to fix it myself, and it isn`t 01.42 in the morning

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.