Windows 8 build 7850 (Milestone 1) LEAK

Home Everything Microsoft Forums Windows 8 Chat & Discussion Windows 8 News Windows 8 build 7850 (Milestone 1) LEAK

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  SupraVaider 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 14, 2011 at 11:47 am #86359

W7NOmoronovo

On 11th of April, an unknown source leaked this build to the internet – build 6.1.7850.0 – also known as Milestone 1.

This is the first build of Windows 8 to be leaked. As it is Milestone 1, it currently still retains the major version of Windows 7 (6.1), and has very few visual modifications. The specific build leaked is an x86 (32-bit) enterprise edition build. Additionally, Milestone 1 was reached in November of last year, meaning this took 6 months to leak. Microsoft are presumed to be currently working on the first CTP release – which means newer than Milestone 3, but not quite at the beta stage yet.

Attached are screenshots to show the validity of the digital signature of the bits that were leaked.

Are any of you going to find and download the build to check up on it’s development? Or are you (like me) passing over this one due to the age of its development?

Let us know in a reply here.

[img:27dnnbxb]http://i.imgur.com/DCZ8u.png[/img:27dnnbxb][/url:27dnnbxb]

[img:27dnnbxb]http://i.imgur.com/n5uhI.png[/img:27dnnbxb][/url:27dnnbxb]

April 15, 2011 at 6:53 am #89948

rph

I’m gonna pass.  I don’t even like to mess with release candidates.  A lot of MS final releases have been much different from the RC’s.

April 17, 2011 at 8:44 pm #89950

W7NOmoronovo
"rph":3603t9wu wrote:
I’m gonna pass.  I don’t even like to mess with release candidates.  A lot of MS final releases have been much different from the RC’s.
[/quote:3603t9wu]

I believe that only applies to Vista actually – the release schedules for Whistler (XP) went very well, as did Windows 7. Vista was all over the place though – even the beta’s had major differences between builds.

Although I said I wouldn’t bother testing the build, my curiosity got the better of me (and I had a little extra time this weekend). This is what I have found to be different so far.

[size=140:3603t9wu][color=red:3603t9wu]Warning: Wall of text incoming![/color:3603t9wu]

[/size:3603t9wu][hr:3603t9wu][/hr:3603t9wu]

• Windows Explorer has received an "up one level" button, like from XP. This is something that was complained about greatly during the transition to Vista.
  • Windows Explorer has a status bar again. The "Details Pane" that is there currently (in windows 7) has been moved to the right hand side; it and the preview pane are now interchangeable.
  • The default titlebar text size has increased. The advanced display properties tab has been removed, making this currently impossible to change. Additionally, titlebar text has been centred instead of aligned left.
  • There are a lot more entries in the "windows features" dialogue box. Included are a few surprises – .net framework 2 (possibly erroneous), Data Centre Networking and Hyper-V tools. I’ll attach a full list.
    [img:3603t9wu]http://i.imgur.com/UrDya.png[/img:3603t9wu]
  • Network security settings have been more logically organised. At current, we have a lot of the same settings in Public and Home/work, some of which are actually interchangeable. M1 has it set out in 3 categories – home/work, public/guest and general. It’s much more logical and less confusing compared to base W7.
  • Network configuration pane has an option to select a new network/account type – Guest. Whether this means Microsoft are introducing a new network type to select from (a bad idea in my opinion), or if they are fleshing out the "deep freeze"-type account lockdown that was initially planned for Windows 7, we will need to wait to find out.
  • "Language Profiles" – the ability to save sets of keyboard layouts, system locales, and regional settings, as different profiles that you can switch between at will. It appears this is now also linked to the language packs, which only get added to Windows Update after you create a language profile for them. This is a very very interesting feature and one I hope makes its way to the final release.
  • The addition of a "portable Workspace Creator" – a utility that may (or may not) allow you to run a live version of the OS from a USB drive. I was unable to test this personally, as it requires at least 16GB free space on a drive, and although I do have 16GB drives around, they format to about 15. Something I plan on testing soon, though, as it seems extremely interesting.
  • There is a new "Scheduled maintenance" Action Center entry. It appears to allow you to set a one-click system optimization – though the details are scarce on what it actually does at this point. I would guess it will perform a quick defragmentation, and a disk cleanup, but it may have other, newer uses as well.
  • A very very interesting new development appears to be the inclusion of several new service accounts that only dwm.exe runs from. This could be Microsoft’s attempt at making windows 8 truly accessible as a multi-user environment; this setup would make it easy to implement something similar to TTY switching under linux, which would be a boon for system administrators.
  • The inclusion of a small account picture to the right of the system clock. At the moment, in M1, all it does is allow you quick access to switch user/log off/user accounts control panel, but information from newer builds suggests Microsoft bay be hooking it into Windows Live services; perhaps enabling people to have Cloud-based windows accounts usable on any internet-enabled Windows 8 computer. This is pure speculation however, at the moment it’s not doing anything new.
  • Remote Desktop Connection has been updated slightly: The disconnect text has changed, and it now has a "do not warn me again" box for closing sessions – at long last!
  • And finally: Windows 8 M1 has the ability to mount .iso and .vhd files directly. Windows 7 could mount .vhd files via Disk Management, but Windows 8 M1 enables you to do it by a simple double click. This is possibly one of the most requested features, especially since Windows 7 introduced iso burning.

[hr:3603t9wu][/hr:3603t9wu]

And that’s it, so far. I may find more, though, as I plan on using it for a day or two next week when I’m off work to see if I can find anything more significant.

Anyone found anything else? Are any of you excited by the early glimpse into Windows 8′s development?

April 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm #89973

Jason Lefevers

Looks like some users are already extracting some new features and hidden gems with this build. Looking forward to seeing a final on the new UI.

April 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm #89977

W7NOmoronovo
"Jason":zh3jvkc7 wrote:
Looks like some users are already extracting some new features and hidden gems with this build. Looking forward to seeing a final on the new UI.
[/quote:zh3jvkc7]

I’m sure that Microsoft are implementing a new metro-based UI for Windows 8, but I’m certain that will be an option rather than the only choice… The default UI in Windows 7 is fantastic, and I hope they only improve certain aspects of it rather than replace it outright.

I would however be quite interested in finding out a lot more regardless, this build (M1/7850) is almost 6 months old after all.

May 18, 2011 at 6:14 am #90051

SupraVaider
"[W7N wrote:
Omoronovo":3rz3qy6n]

"rph":3rz3qy6n wrote:
[/quote:3rz3qy6n]

I believe that only applies to Vista actually – the release schedules for Whistler (XP) went very well, as did Windows 7. Vista was all over the place though – even the beta’s had major differences between builds.

Although I said I wouldn’t bother testing the build, my curiosity got the better of me (and I had a little extra time this weekend). This is what I have found to be different so far.

[size=140:3rz3qy6n][color=red:3rz3qy6n]Warning: Wall of text incoming![/color:3rz3qy6n]

[/size:3rz3qy6n][hr:3rz3qy6n][/hr:3rz3qy6n]

• Windows Explorer has received an "up one level" button, like from XP. This is something that was complained about greatly during the transition to Vista.
  • Windows Explorer has a status bar again. The "Details Pane" that is there currently (in windows 7) has been moved to the right hand side; it and the preview pane are now interchangeable.
  • The default titlebar text size has increased. The advanced display properties tab has been removed, making this currently impossible to change. Additionally, titlebar text has been centred instead of aligned left.
  • There are a lot more entries in the "windows features" dialogue box. Included are a few surprises – .net framework 2 (possibly erroneous), Data Centre Networking and Hyper-V tools. I’ll attach a full list.
    [img:3rz3qy6n]http://i.imgur.com/UrDya.png[/img:3rz3qy6n]
  • Network security settings have been more logically organised. At current, we have a lot of the same settings in Public and Home/work, some of which are actually interchangeable. M1 has it set out in 3 categories – home/work, public/guest and general. It’s much more logical and less confusing compared to base W7.
  • Network configuration pane has an option to select a new network/account type – Guest. Whether this means Microsoft are introducing a new network type to select from (a bad idea in my opinion), or if they are fleshing out the "deep freeze"-type account lockdown that was initially planned for Windows 7, we will need to wait to find out.
  • "Language Profiles" – the ability to save sets of keyboard layouts, system locales, and regional settings, as different profiles that you can switch between at will. It appears this is now also linked to the language packs, which only get added to Windows Update after you create a language profile for them. This is a very very interesting feature and one I hope makes its way to the final release.
  • The addition of a "portable Workspace Creator" – a utility that may (or may not) allow you to run a live version of the OS from a USB drive. I was unable to test this personally, as it requires at least 16GB free space on a drive, and although I do have 16GB drives around, they format to about 15. Something I plan on testing soon, though, as it seems extremely interesting.
  • There is a new "Scheduled maintenance" Action Center entry. It appears to allow you to set a one-click system optimization – though the details are scarce on what it actually does at this point. I would guess it will perform a quick defragmentation, and a disk cleanup, but it may have other, newer uses as well.
  • A very very interesting new development appears to be the inclusion of several new service accounts that only dwm.exe runs from. This could be Microsoft’s attempt at making windows 8 truly accessible as a multi-user environment; this setup would make it easy to implement something similar to TTY switching under linux, which would be a boon for system administrators.
  • The inclusion of a small account picture to the right of the system clock. At the moment, in M1, all it does is allow you quick access to switch user/log off/user accounts control panel, but information from newer builds suggests Microsoft bay be hooking it into Windows Live services; perhaps enabling people to have Cloud-based windows accounts usable on any internet-enabled Windows 8 computer. This is pure speculation however, at the moment it’s not doing anything new.
  • Remote Desktop Connection has been updated slightly: The disconnect text has changed, and it now has a "do not warn me again" box for closing sessions – at long last!
  • And finally: Windows 8 M1 has the ability to mount .iso and .vhd files directly. Windows 7 could mount .vhd files via Disk Management, but Windows 8 M1 enables you to do it by a simple double click. This is possibly one of the most requested features, especially since Windows 7 introduced iso burning.

[hr:3rz3qy6n][/hr:3rz3qy6n]

And that’s it, so far. I may find more, though, as I plan on using it for a day or two next week when I’m off work to see if I can find anything more significant.

Anyone found anything else? Are any of you excited by the early glimpse into Windows 8′s development?
[/quote:3rz3qy6n]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.